Fluctuations in sound when the amp is turned off and back on

Started by gnpnhva, June 08, 2020, 03:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnpnhva

I am hoping i am not chasing ghosts.But does anyone with a Katana 50 Mk 1 feel like the sound of the amp changes when it is turned off then on again in panel mode. Or specifically if a drive pedal is used in the clean channel then when you make a volume change on the guitar ,say rolling it back a bit then rolling it back to full and the amp sounds different when put back to full.Almost like it doesnt remember what it sounded like in the first place?

gumtown

No, can't say I have noticed any difference in those situations.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mooncaine

maybe.... it sounds different when it's hot... and maybe it cools down really quickly, but heats up slowly... so, when you turn it on, it could take a while to heat up. Just trying to imagine what could be varying over time the way you describe. Also, I'm up too late and stopped making sense. Yay caffeine, though!
         `~~~'
    (⨀) | (⨀)   
     <⊔HHH⊔>
       ∪ ∪   

chont

This sounds familiar to an issue I was experiencing a couple of weeks ago. 

I noticed that when I turned the amp on, a patch I had previously been using sounded much lower in volume and gain. If I switched to another channel there would be a jump in volume.  Switch back to the channel it was on when I powered the amp on it was back to normal.  I determined It was powering up in panel mode even though I turned the amp off with it on a channel and the lights on the amp and GAFC indicated it was on a channel.   This is with a Kat 100 - 1x12 running firmware v4.0.  A factory reset did not fix so I installed v3.0.2 and its been fine so far.

shawnb

Yes.  There is a pretty significant difference in volume between an amp powered off & an amp powered on!   ;D
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Nunorox

I have a situation where I turn my Mk1 head on, my initial channel/sound is funky sounding. I just switch channels and switch back and everything's fine. No big deal but only when I switch it on, after that everything's fine... Weird...

chont

So I updated the firmware back to 4 to see if it would clear up some noise I was experiencing.  My issue immediately returned.  Turned amp on today and it powered in ch1 but tone was as if it was in panel mode.  Switched to ch2 and back to ch1 on GAFC and ch1 was back to normal.

gbr13697

If you have a Mark 1, there was a minor bug affecting some users introduced by the update in Dec 19/Jan 20. When you boot up, the Gain and Treble settings are whatever is on the panel - not those from the preset. Changing channel, and then back again, reinstates the preset values. You won't necessarily have noticed this if the panel settings are similar to the preset but, if you have been experimenting using the panel, they maybe noticeably different. If you have a low-gain preset, but the panel Gain is set high, the amp will be a lot louder when you switch on. It is a fairly isolated bug, but may answer your problem. There apparently is a fix available from Boss/Roland Support, but they have not made it public - you have to refer to them directly.  There have been several threads on this issue in the Boss Katana Facebook page.

gnpnhva

Thanks for the reply, Honestly I think they made the amp overly complicated. I think the presets should have  been for everything but drive, so your driven stuff would work separately.Maybe instead of "amp types" it has pedal types . That way the amp is the amp alone then you turn a knob to each pedal and adjust from there. That way your basic amp volume is always the same .So you would have boost,overdrive,distortion and fuzz. Mods and delay and reverb pre sets.I do have a mark 1 katana 50.I feel the the thing is a interface with a speaker more than an amp