Boss GT-1 Playback through PC

Started by Day0fJustice, June 07, 2020, 01:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Day0fJustice

I am considering purchasing a Boss GT-1 and then planning to use the USB connection to plug it directly into my PC.  My question is, will there be significant latency by going this route, or do I need some kind of audio interface between the two in order for it to not sound like crap?  My understanding is that the latency can vary depending on the PC that it is going into, however I am running a 9900k with 32 gb ram so I don't think that will be an issue for me.  Are there any other potential issues I could run into by going this route?

My plan is to stream my guitar play and I do not currently have an amp(or any electric for that matter) so I want to make sure I am not going to give myself a headache when I finally order everything.  I sold my electric guitar set up about 5 years ago after having played for 15 years and I am finally getting back on the bike and really don't want to buy a bunch of equipment and not be able to use it the way I am envisioning.

Any suggestions would be great and I apologize if this had been addressed previously.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Day0fJustice on June 07, 2020, 01:23:38 AM
I am considering purchasing a Boss GT-1 and then planning to use the USB connection to plug it directly into my PC.  My question is, will there be significant latency by going this route, or do I need some kind of audio interface between the two in order for it to not sound like crap?  My understanding is that the latency can vary depending on the PC that it is going into, however I am running a 9900k with 32 gb ram so I don't think that will be an issue for me.  Are there any other potential issues I could run into by going this route?

My plan is to stream my guitar play and I do not currently have an amp(or any electric for that matter) so I want to make sure I am not going to give myself a headache when I finally order everything.  I sold my electric guitar set up about 5 years ago after having played for 15 years and I am finally getting back on the bike and really don't want to buy a bunch of equipment and not be able to use it the way I am envisioning.

Any suggestions would be great and I apologize if this had been addressed previously.

Latency using a DAW does not matter at all unless you want to listen to the recorded track through the daw ( monitor recording track )
The prerecorded tracks doesn't matter , or any other audio coming from the DAW.

If you're listening to the direct sound from the GT-1 ( not through the DAW)
and the tracks from the DAW while recording or playing along the DAW compensates for the latency.
In other words you will not hear any latency.
Furthermore you will not need a extra audio interface  since the GT-1 is a audio interface.

I'm on Mac so the PC question, I can't help you with.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Day0fJustice

Yes my intent would be to use my computer as a way to monitor my playing live since I do not have any speaker to play the music through, just my headphones that would be hooked up to my computer.  Sounds like it is capable of doing what I need.

I mentioned PC specs because latency is usually determined by the buffer that you need to use, a higher buffer translates to a larger delay in playback.  This happens to macs and windows PCs, and is determined by the specifications (processing power/memory) of your computer afaik.

Thanks for the quick response, I can't wait to start playing again.

gumtown

Things would work better plugging the headphones into the GT-1,
and use the GT-1 USB audio both listen to prerecorded backing tracks, and record/stream the USB audio.
That way there will be no noticeable latency in your playing/monitoring.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Day0fJustice on June 07, 2020, 02:10:23 AM
Yes my intent would be to use my computer as a way to monitor my playing live since I do not have any speaker to play the music through, just my headphones that would be hooked up to my computer.  Sounds like it is capable of doing what I need.

I mentioned PC specs because latency is usually determined by the buffer that you need to use, a higher buffer translates to a larger delay in playback.  This happens to macs and windows PCs, and is determined by the specifications (processing power/memory) of your computer afaik.

Thanks for the quick response, I can't wait to start playing again.

Sorry I didn't clarify exactly what I meant by
Quotelistening to the direct sound from the GT-1 ( not through the DAW)
But gumtown described what I meant.

And it's true that latency/ buffer size are dependable on specifications on both PC/MAC and audio interface.
But only if you want to monitor everything including the recording track through the computer and interface. ( and the drivers for the interface )

(Using the direct monitor GT-1 and USB playback from the PC you can have a very high latency but it won't matter because of the DAW compensation.)

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch