Helix- Twist or hold?

Started by Antonuzzo, June 01, 2020, 06:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonuzzo

I'm pondering going for a Helix in the next couple of months. But should I hold off for the next iteration?

Line6 seem to be a bit faster at bringing new things to market than Roland, and the Floor is already five years old - but then, they've just updated the firmware.

And on a related note - what are the synth blocks like? How do they measure up to what else is out there?

JiveTurkey

Plenty of devices still running Helix platform so I'd say Helix 2 is in development but a ways off nonetheless. Synth stuff is monophonic. The next update 3.0 is supposed to bring polyphonics to the table. I am interested to see how that effects the synth capabilities.

HecticArt

My guess is that if you've done your comparison shopping / research and you're interested in a Helix, you should so ahead and get it when the time is right with your cash.

I waited a long time before I got mine thinking that I'd find it for a better price somewhere. They released the LT, Stomp, and Effects to close the gap on lower priced units and then the price of the Floor has gone up a bit since then too. I don't think they will release a model that has a lot more features than the Floor/Rack has. They seem to have built in a lot of room for the thing to grow form software updates.

I'm really happy with mine, and I'm sure I don't use half of it's capacity. I don't use the synth stuff much yet since I have a GR-55. I'm sure I'll get around to it once I stop playing around with all of the guitar stuff.

The last few updates have been great adding new flexibility with the interface, new amps and effects, and more. I think that their customer service is fantastic too.

Idgolfguy

I purchased the LT a couple of weeks ago. Looked at a few different brands, Ampero, Moore, Kemper and decided to go the Helix path based on size of community and activity from Line 6.

Still getting a handle on it. For what I do, I probably could have save the AU$1500 and repurposed the legacy kit that I have to give me the same sounds and response.

sixeight

The Helix you buy today is much better than the Helix you bought five years ago as the firmware has developed much further. But also the Helix you buy today will be replaced by the next model sooner than the next model.

If you are always worried about the next model, you will never get and enjoy the current one.

Idgolfguy

Quote from: sixeight on June 02, 2020, 08:41:03 AM
The Helix you buy today is much better than the Helix you bought five years ago as the firmware has developed much further. But also the Helix you buy today will be replaced by the next model sooner than the next model.

If you are always worried about the next model, you will never get and enjoy the current one.

Just another excuse to buy a new piece of kit when that happens. It will get added to stack against the wall!

arkieboy

I wonder if the Helix has gotten to that point where the Helix 2 won't offer much more in the basics of guitar pedal/amp/effects modelling.  Its really good at this, practically any two amp rig you might wish to put together will be indistinguishable on record or through the front of house from the real thing in the context of even a sparse mix once you've got to grips with the unit.

If you can view a helix preset as a virtual rig and switch around your sounds using snapshots it works absolutely brilliantly.  Difficult to see how that can be improved.  So if its those basics you want, press the button already!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

sixeight

I really enjoy my Helix, but for me there is definately room for improvement. Some amp models really do not work for me. The pitch effects are mediocre at best.

It is the same for every modeler. You work on patches and squeeze them over time to an optimum. Then most of the other patches sound mediocre or even bad in comparison.

But my favorite patches sound glorious. And when I go back the my older modelers (GR-55, GP-10) they don't sound as good as they used to. Which means I have made progress in sound quality.

Bill Ruppert

The Helix for amp sounds /EQ /dynamics is at the top of the heap.
The IR loading (and it loads a LOT of IRs) gives this box more ground than most.
Also the detail in the amps is very amazing and dynamically it is spot on.
This is NO POD. It is a fantastic piece of gear.

arkieboy

Quote from: sixeight on June 04, 2020, 10:05:58 AM
Some amp models really do not work for me

There are a few amps I simply can't get on with - I can never get a real life Boogie to sound good in a store.

I can't get on with the models of them either.

Which is why I suspect that for the other models that I can't dial in, I'm the problem, not the modeller.
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

sixeight

Quote from: arkieboy on June 05, 2020, 12:34:17 AM
Which is why I suspect that for the other models that I can't dial in, I'm the problem, not the modeller.

That is true for me as well. Also the source guitar may be the issue. I mostly use the virtual guitars of the VG-99. Some combinations do not sound good.

Still lots to learn.

Antonuzzo

I took the plunge and got the Helix Floor. I'll write more in detail about it later, but a few first impressions:

The amps sound incredible. It's a huge step up from the VG models - I'd swear that you can hear the fabric move on the cabs. I've barely scratched the surface but I'm deeply impressed with this aspect alone.

The modulation effects - well, I need to go into these in a lot more depth, but I'm less than awed by the phasers, for example. I guess that Roland / Boss's expertise in this area really shines out in comparison.

Distortions are really good. The Rat actually sounds and behaves like one. However... ONE boost pedal? I mean, c'mon. It's nice having a Klon in there, but I'd rather have see a Rangemaster or a Coloursound model.

Finally, it's a pity that HX Edit doesn't have an audio pass through. It would be nice to be able to work on sounds with headphones in my Macbook, rather than having to get a headphone extender that reaches down to the floor.

Full review to come a bit later.

acousticglue

Well A) the problem with one company in a box is that someone can always do better at something else B) I use my reverbs and delays on computer rather than Pod Go C) you can hook the FX of Boss Sy-300 into the send return or into front end to use Boss and Line6.

Matteo Barducci

--

---> Matteo Barducci