GT-1000 - Clean to moderate gain patch set

Started by jwhitcomb3, April 19, 2020, 07:29:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

This is a set of presets for various different amps and amp voicings having clean to moderate gain. They are mono for FRFR or recording (I have another set of these to use in front of a guitar amp). No special IRs, just whatever is assigned to the amp model.

Here's the control layout:

Bank Up: Bank up
Bank Down: Bank Down
CTL 1: Toggles the master delay
CTL 2: Toggles DS 2 (Treble Boost) for Div 1 path A, toggles tremolo/rotary speaker in Div 1 path B.
CTL 3: Tuner (Hold for manual mode)
EXPSW: switches the DIV1 path between (A) AMP1 and SM path, and (B) AMP2 path with tremolo or rotary speaker
EXP1: Path A: Crossfade AMP 1 cleaner to grittier*
           Path B: Tremolo/Rotary speaker rate

Manual Mode:
Amp 1/2 Solo (the Current Number also does this)
Toggles the compressor
Toggles DS 1 block (a very light Klon)
Instant Rockabilly (toggles a slapback delay and an EQ to tighten the bass)
Master Delay Tap

*For the "Butterfly" presets EXP1 doesn't crossfade the gain, just controls the reverb level.

The basis for these presets is what I call "Subliminal Modulation" which accounts for the "SM" in the preset titles. I use LFOs (low frequency oscillators) for electronic music to various aspects of a synth sound to give it some motion. LFOs in the guitar world have been confined to the rate and speed controls of modulation effects like tremolo (which modulates the amplitude) and vibrato (which modulates the pitch), chorus, flangers and the like. Roland/Boss added LFOs into their guitar multi-effect units but called them "Wave" assigns, presumably not to offend guitarists with a synthy sounding word.

For years I'd been adding very subtle chorus to add a little sparkle and movement to an otherwise clean preset. Starting with the Boss MS-3, I've instead assigned LFOs (wave pedals) to other parameters of a boost block: direct signal, tone, and bass. Here it's the "Clean Boost" distortion block in the FX 4 block, where I modulate the tone, bottom, and direct mix controls. By setting a different rate for each of these wave pedals the waveforms do not regularly align, giving a randomized effect. Then, I add some (very) subtle pitch modulation using the vibrato FX 2 block with the depth set down to 2, assigning a wave pedal on the rate control so the pitch modulation varies with time. Turn up the depth so you can better hear what's going on.

All of this is VERY subtle, and is best heard (more like felt) when holding a sustained chord. I  don't notice it much when I'm playing, but miss it when it's gone.

These days I mostly play a Tele (well, an Ibanez Talman 1702, basically a Tele in a small offset body) for late 60s kinks/stones/bowie rock, Byrdsy country, Stax soul, and some bluesy/jazzy stuff. The songwriter in my band calls the whole mess "glam folk." So mostly light to medium gain. I use the EXP1 in most of these to crossfade from clean to a grittier tone, dialing back the bass and treble as the gain is added. The goal is to add some hair without adding much volume, tubbiness, or grainy highs as the gain increases.

I often use tremolo or rotating speaker. Since it is overkill to use the tremolo or rotating speaker with the vibrato, these presets switch to a different signal path to turn on the tremolo/rotating speaker and turn off the vibrato (with the EXP1 switch). Then the EXP1 controls the tremolo or rotary rate. CTL2 toggles between tremolo and rotating speaker, and also toggles the DS 2 block since I prefer less grit when using the rotating speaker.

The stacked OD stages don't add much level or grit overall. I usually have my guitar volume set at 7 or 8 so I can quickly dial in a little oomph or clean up the sound by rolling the guitar volume control. The amp blocks are very responsive to this. You can get lots of variations by switching out the compressor and distortion blocks. The easiest way to modify these presets for more gain is to swap out the Treble Boost in the DS 2 block for another distortion or overdrive.

These were voiced for a Tele, so please tweak as desired to your liking and share your results and/or comments. Thanks!

roachone

sonagiovi

Thank you for sharing, I've played your patches this morning.
I looked into the assigns and noticed that a lot of care went into those.
I especially liked the Natural Clean patch, but in general you seem to strive for the same goals (touch responsiveness/gain levels) as I do.

By the way, they come with perfect timing, since I've just been trying to use the wave pedal to emulate/approximate Boss's DC-2 Dimension C!  ;D
Unfortunately my experiments were only half-successful, as assigning the wave pedal to the Pitch Shifter's fine-tune & delay parameters resulted in some "stepping" rather than a smooth curve.  >:(
Could be user-error on my part, I'll continue trying, but fear that it's the way it is with the GT1K's pitch transposition.  :(

Anyway, thanks again, it's always useful to see how others approach tones and try to learn something new!  :)

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: sonagiovi on April 20, 2020, 03:20:57 AM
Thank you for sharing, I've played your patches this morning.
I looked into the assigns and noticed that a lot of care went into those.
I especially liked the Natural Clean patch, but in general you seem to strive for the same goals (touch responsiveness/gain levels) as I do.

By the way, they come with perfect timing, since I've just been trying to use the wave pedal to emulate/approximate Boss's DC-2 Dimension C!  ;D
Unfortunately my experiments were only half-successful, as assigning the wave pedal to the Pitch Shifter's fine-tune & delay parameters resulted in some "stepping" rather than a smooth curve.  >:(
Could be user-error on my part, I'll continue trying, but fear that it's the way it is with the GT1K's pitch transposition.  :(

Anyway, thanks again, it's always useful to see how others approach tones and try to learn something new!  :)
Thanks for checking them out!

Re: Pitch Bend: I've attached a preset I use with for one song with my band where I use the EXP1 to do a smooth pitch bend. In this case, I play the song with the toe down, but drop the heel all the way down for my solo (which also turns on the fuzz), then slowly push my toe down for a pitch dive at the end, before the patch turns off the fuzz and snaps the pitch back when the toe is fully down.

So this is an example of a smooth (non-stepped) pitch bend. I don't know if this would still be smooth if you instead use the wave pedal...maybe assign the wave pedal target as the pedal position?