Boss SY-1000 - Q&A (Boss Japan)

Started by admin, February 27, 2020, 10:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Boss SY-1000  - Q&A (Boss Japan)
(source:  http://faq-jp.roland.com/category/show/9851?site_domain=default )

Q [SY-1000] Can I use the GK-2A or GK-2B divided pickup?
ANSWER
Yes.
Follow the steps below to set GK PU TYPE.
Press the [SYSTEM] button.
Press the [1] knob (GK SETTING).
Turn the [5] knob (GK TYPE) to select the divided pickup to use.
* The selectable setting values ​​differ between guitar mode and bass mode.

Q [SY-1000] How do I change the patch type?
  ANSWER
Follow the procedure below.
Call the patch whose type you want to change.
Press the [EFFECTS] button.
   -The edit screen (effect chain) is displayed.
Turn the [6] knob to select "MST".
Press the PAGE [>] button to display "CHANGE PATCH TYPE" at the bottom left of the screen.
Press the [1] knob.
  -A message will be displayed.
If you want to change the current patch type, press the [6] knob (OK).
Save (WRITE) the changes.

Q [SY-1000] How do I use Quick Assign?
ANSWER
As an example, here's a setting that allows the expression pedal connected to the CTL3,4 / EXP1 terminal to control the DS (distortion) DRIVE value.
Recall the patch to be set.
Press the [EFFECTS] button.
Turn the [6] knob to select "DS".
Press and hold the [2] knob (DRIVE).
Press the [1] knob (ON / OFF) to turn it "ON".
Turn the [5] knob to select "EXP1" for SOURCE.
Turn the [6] knob to select "MOMENT" for MODE.
Press the [EFFECTS] button to return to the edit screen (effect chain).
Move the expression pedal and check that the DRIVE value changes.

Set other parameters as needed.
Example: TARGET DIST1 DRIVE
 MIN (minimum value of
 variable value) MAX (maximum value of variable value)
* Adjust the MIN and MAX values ​​to your liking.
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf

Q [SY-1000] Can a low impedance output effector be connected to the RETURN terminal (input impedance 1MΩ)?
ANSWER
Yes.
The RETURN terminal of the SY-1000 is designed to be connected to a device with high impedance output, and is designed to 1MΩ to improve sound quality.
If you connect a low impedance output effector, it will be "low out / high out" and there is no problem with impedance matching.

Q 【SY-1000】 Is it compatible with the SY-300 patch?
ANSWER
No.
Patches are not compatible between the SY-300 and the SY-1000 due to differences in the signal processing structure and number of parameters.

Q [SY-1000] When connecting the SY-1000 to a guitar amp, how do I set the tone of the amp?
ANSWER
To maximize the effects of the SY-1000, set the connected amplifier to be as clean and flat as possible in frequency characteristics.
* For the SY-1000, make the OUTPUT SELECT settings appropriate for the connected amplifier.

Q [SY-1000] What kind of footswitches or expression pedals can be connected to the CTL3, 4 / EXP1 and CTL5, 6 / EXP2 terminals?
ANSWER
The following foot switches and expression pedals can be connected.

Footswitch: FS-5U / FS-5L , FS-6 , FS-7
 Expression pedal: EV-30 , FV-500H / FV-500L , Roland EV-5

* Operation is not guaranteed in combination with other companies' products.

Q [SY-1000] How many effects can be used with one patch?
ANSWER
The types and numbers of effect blocks that can be used in one patch are as follows.
COMPRESSOR × 1
DISTORTION × 1
AMP × 1
NOISE SUPPRESSOR × 1
EQUALIZER × 2
DELAY × 2
MASTER DELAY × 1
CHORUS × 1
FX × 3
REVERB × 1
FOOT VOLUME × 2
SEND / RETURN × 1
For categories with multiple blocks such as FX, you can select the effect type for each block.
For example, FX1 and FX2 allow you to select the effect type respectively. The same effect type can be assigned to FX-1 and FX2.
For details on the effect types and parameters that can be set for each block, refer to the " SY-1000 Reference Manual " (PDF).

Q [SY-1000] Can a footswitch and expression pedal be connected to the CTL3, 4 / EXP1 terminal (or CTL5, 6 / EXP2 terminal) at the same time?
ANSWER
No.
A footswitch and expression pedal cannot be connected to one terminal at the same time.
It is possible to connect a foot switch to the CTL3,4 / EXP1 terminal and connect an expression pedal to the CTL5,6 / EXP2 terminal.

Q [SY-1000] Is it possible to assign functions to a foot switch or expression pedal?
ANSWER
Yes.
You can assign your favorite functions to the main unit foot switch and the expression pedal or foot switch connected to the rear panel CTL3, 4 / EXP1 or CTL5, 6 / EXP2 terminal.
* For details on the functions that can be assigned, refer to "CONTROL ASSIGN parameters" in the " SY-1000 Reference Manual " (PDF).
* For details on the setting procedure, refer to " Assigning functions to foot switches and expression pedals " in the " SY-1000 Owner's Manual" or "SY-1000 Reference Manual " (PDF).

As an example, here's how to use the CONTROL FUNCTION to switch the distortion (DS) ON / OFF with the [CTL1] switch.
Press the [CTL] button.
Press the [1] knob (CONTROL FUNCTION).
Turn the [4] knob (CTL1) to select "DS".
  * You can also select from the list displayed by pressing the [4] knob.
Press the [EFFECTS] button to access the edit screen (effect chain).
Press the [CTL1] switch and check if "DS" can be turned ON / OFF.

Q [SY-1000] I want to install the driver on Windows 10. What should I do?
ANSWER
In the case of Windows 10, the driver is automatically installed when the SY-1000 is connected to a computer connected to the Internet via USB. The time to complete the installation varies depending on the internet and PC environment. Please wait a few minutes after connecting via USB and check with Device Manager.

■ How to check with Device Manager
Right-click the start button (Windows icon) at the bottom left of the screen and select "Device Manager".
Double-click "Sound, video and game controllers" to expand it.
If "SY-1000" is displayed, double-click to open the properties.
-If "This device is operating normally" is displayed in the "Device status" field, the driver has been correctly installed.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27182.0

Q [SY-1000] If you save (WRITE) a patch that was edited based on a preset patch, will the original patch be overwritten?
ANSWER
No.
It will not be overwritten on the preset patches. The user patch (U01-1 to U50-4) selected when saving (WRITE) the patch will be overwritten.

Q [SY-1000] Can PATCH EXCHANGE swap preset patches and user patches?
ANSWER
No.
Only user patches can be exchanged by PATCH EXCHANGE.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=322.0

Q [SY-1000] Is a PCM sound source installed?
ANSWER
No, it is not.

Q [SY-1000] Is it possible to play the synth sound at a fixed volume regardless of the picking strength?
ANSWER
Only "OSC SYNTH" can sound at a constant volume.
* "DYNAMIC SYNTH", "GR-300", and "ANALOG-GR" operate and sound according to the dynamics of the input signal.

Q [SY-1000] Is there a metronome function?
ANSWER
No there is not.

Q [SY-1000] Can a guitar with more than 7 strings be connected to the GUITAR INPUT terminal?
ANSWER
Yes.
7-, 8-, and 9-string guitars can be connected to the Normal Input
* However, even a 6-string guitar will not sound above the 24th fret.

Q [SY-1000] Are there any restrictions on the functions when only the GUITAR INPUT terminal is connected?
ANSWER
Yes.
There are restrictions on the INST block. Guitar / bass connected to the GUITAR INPUT jack can use only normal patches. If you select a GK patch, the INST block (synth sound) will not sound.
* The only INST TYPE that can be selected for a normal patch is "DYNAMIC SYNTH". The DYNAMIC SYNTH tone differs between the normal patch and the GK patch.
* There is no restriction on the EFFECT block.

Q [SY-1000] Can I use it as a hardware MIDI sound source for a personal computer?
ANSWER
No.
The tone generator section of the SY-1000 can only sound with a guitar or bass (with a divided pickup) connected to the GK IN jack.
* When the SY-1000 is connected to a computer via USB, the performance from the GK IN connector can be converted to MIDI information and sent to the computer, but it is not possible to use the DAW software on the computer to play the SY-1000's sound source. can not.

Q [SY-1000] Can the performance information of the normal guitar connected to the GUITAR INPUT terminal be converted to MIDI and output?
ANSWER
No.
To convert performance information to MIDI and output it, you need a guitar or bass equipped with a divided pickup (GK series).

Q [SY-1000] Can you set a different tuning type for each patch?
ANSWER
Yes.
On the edit screen of each INST, set the TUNING TYPE of ALT TUNE.
* For details on TUNING TYPE of ALT TUNE, refer to the " SY-1000 Reference Manual " (PDF).

Q [SY-1000] What is the pitch shift amount that can be set with the ALT TUNE function?
ANSWER
You can set each string in the range of -24 to +24 (in semitones).
* Use the FX PITCH SHIFTER (-24 to +24, semitone units) for the normal pickup sound.

Q [SY-1000] Can you produce the sound of Pat Metheny or Robert Fripp?
ANSWER
Yes.
By using "GR-300" ("ANALOG-GR" for BASS MODE) as the TYPE of INST, you can play the sound of analog guitar synthesizers from the past. GR-300 sounds are included in the preset patches.

Q [SY-1000] Can I set the sound to be played for each string?
ANSWER
Yes.
For each INST, set the output level (STRING LEVEL) for each string.

Q [SY-1000] Can the normal pickup sound and the synth sound be sounded by different amplifiers?
ANSWER
Yes.
If you move the MAIN OUT and SUB OUT blocks on the effect edit screen (effect chain), they will be divided into normal pickup sounds and synth sounds.
* Please place them before BALANCER.
* Set OUTPUT SELECT according to the amplifier connected to MAIN OUT and SUB OUT.

Q [SY-1000] Can divided pickups for guitars (GK-2, GK-2A, GK-3) be used for semi-acoustic guitars?
ANSWER
Yes.
The guitar conditions that can be used are as follows.

From the pickup center, until the guitar bottom (= end of the GK-3): Maximum 280mm
 capable sandwiched dedicated holder body thickness: Maximum 60mm

* even meet the ※ above conditions, depending on the specifications of each guitar, no pickup is attached , The cable length may be insufficient, or the guitar may not fit in the dedicated holder. For more information, please contact a guitar maker.

Q [SY-1000] Can the divided pickups for guitars (GK-2, GK-2A, GK-3) be used on guitars with Tremolo arms?
ANSWER
Yes.
However, guitars with Tremolo arms cannot be used unless there is enough space for a GK divided pickup.

Q [SY-1000] Can it be used for nylon string gut guitars?
ANSWER
Any GK guitar with a piezo pickup (such as made by Godin) can be used.
https://godinguitars.com/product-category/guitars/multi-voice

Q [SY-1000] Is the divided pickup for bass (GK-2B, GK-3B) compatible with 5-string or 6-string bass guitars?
ANSWER
Yes.
It can be used if the string pitch is within the range of 16-19mm.

Q [SY-1000] Are the divided pickups for guitar (GK-2, GK-2A, GK-3) compatible with 7-string or 12-string guitars?
ANSWER
No.
It does not support guitars with more than 6 strings.

Q [SY-1000] Can it be used as an audio interface or MIDI interface for DAW software?
ANSWER
Yes.
Please install the USB driver corresponding to the OS of your personal computer.

◆ SY-1000 USB driver download

Q [SY-1000] Is it possible to apply effects only to normal pickup sounds?
ANSWER
Yes.
By placing an effect after the NORMAL INPUT block on the edit screen (effect chain), you can apply any effect only to the normal pickup sound.
* Set the NORMAL INPUT block and effects to "ON".
* Be sure to set the divided pickup switch to the "MIX" position.
* When installing the GK series, connect the guitar / bass to the GK series normal pickup input terminal.

[SY-1000] Can you input guitar and bass performance as MIDI information into DAW software?
ANSWER
Yes.
When GUITAR TO MIDI or BASS TO MIDI is set to "ON", you can convert performance information to MIDI and input it to MIDI tracks in your DAW software. You can also input the SY-1000 sound to an audio track.
* Please install the USB driver corresponding to the OS of your PC.
* The SY-1000 cannot be played using the MIDI information input to the DAW software.

◆ SY-1000 USB driver download

Q [SY-1000] Can I switch between normal pickup sound and synth sound with the GK series switch?
ANSWER
Yes.
To switch between normal pickup sound and synth sound, set CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGN, or create separate patches for normal pickup sound and synth sound.

As an example, I will introduce how to use the GK series switch to switch between normal pickup sound and synth sound.
Press the [CTL] button.
Use the PAGE [<] [>] buttons to move to the page where "GK VOLUME" is displayed.
Turn the [4] knob to select "ALL INST LEVEL" for GK VOL FUNCTION.
Make sure that only the synth sound is heard when the switch is set to "GK", and only the normal pickup sound is heard when the switch is set to "GUITAR".
 * Normally, use the "MIX" position.
 * MAIN OUT and SUB OUT CHAIN ​​must be located after BALANCER3.

Q [SY-1000] Is it possible to sound only the normal pickup sound?
ANSWER
Yes.
In the effect edit screen (effect chain), set the NOR MIX SW or NORMAL INPUT block of each INST block to "ON".
* Be sure to set the divided pickup switch to the "MIX" position.
* When installing the GK series, connect the guitar / bass to the GK series normal pickup input terminal.

Q [SY-1000] Can you output guitar and bass performance information by MIDI?
ANSWER
Yes.
Follow the steps below to set GUITAR TO MIDI / BASS TO MIDI.
Press the [SYSTEM] button.
Press the [5] knob (MIDI).
Press the [3] knob (GUITAR TO MIDI or BASS TO MIDI).
Press the [1] knob to turn it "ON".
Press the [EXIT] button several times to return to the play screen.
Also see "SY-1000 MIDI Implementation " (PDF) .
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_MIDI_Implementation.pdf

Q [Driver] Even if a USB driver compatible with macOS High Sierra (macOS 10.13) is installed, it is not recognized.
ANSWER
The driver you have installed may be blocked by Mac security.

Unblock the driver according to the procedure described in " Troubleshooting-Driver is not recognized even after installation
https://www.roland.com/US/support/support_news/1804131013/

LinzHenderson

Quote from: admin on February 27, 2020, 10:39:33 AM
Boss SY-1000  - Q&A (Boss Japan)
(source:  http://faq-jp.roland.com/category/show/9851?site_domain=default )

Q [SY-1000] Can a guitar with more than 7 strings be connected to the GUITAR INPUT terminal?
ANSWER
Yes.
7-, 8-, and 9-string guitars can be connected to the Normal Input
* However, even a 6-string guitar will not sound above the 24th fret.

"* However, even a 6-string guitar will not sound above the 24th fret."

I don't understand what that means...

admin

Quote from: LinzHenderson on February 27, 2020, 11:16:44 AM

On the SY-1000 the DSP provides a specific Brickwall bandwidth restricted filter, as an aid in taming mistriggers and random burps

For each SY-1000 Mode ( GUITAR Mode vs BASS Mode )  there is a different specific factory set restricted bandwidth filter active range.

so no string bending at the 24fth fret, or playing false harmonics above the Neck PU

aliensporebomb

In even guitar modeling modes? (not synth specific?)  My brain tells me this is exclusively related to synth voices but perhaps not?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

admin

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 27, 2020, 12:20:47 PM
In even guitar modeling modes? (not synth specific?)  My brain tells me this is exclusively related to synth voices but perhaps not?

Ive experienced this Brickwall filter on VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10  too

Get a guitar slide, connect to VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000 - and disable the normal pickups , use the GK PU driven COSM Modeling or Synths voices ,  sweep the slide up above the 24th fret and experience the note cut out  / drop out area  - its designed to do this.

admin

SY-1000 -Make GK-3 Three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth work?

On the specific SY-1000 Patch you desire Normal Guitar to function, the Normal Block signal path must be active
( many factory patches have Normal Block signal path disabled = non functional GK-3 Three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth switch!

The GK-VOL Control Assignment directly impacts the operation of the  GK-3 Three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth switch!

Yes  bulk of factory  SY-1000 patches have the GK-3 Three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth" switch disabled ( like the old VG-99)

(sad)  the GP-10 was the only recent GK Processor that had a functional GK-3 Three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth" switch on its factory patches

To make the GK-3 Three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth" switch  work on SY-1000 , You must create custom USER Patches

--
Q [SY-1000] Can I switch between normal pickup sound and synth sound with the GK series switch?
ANSWER
Yes.
To switch between normal pickup sound and synth sound, set CONTROL FUNCTION and ASSIGN, or create separate patches for normal pickup sound and synth sound.

As an example, I will introduce how to use the GK series switch to switch between normal pickup sound and synth sound.
Press the [CTL] button.
Use the PAGE [<] [>] buttons to move to the page where "GK VOLUME" is displayed.
Turn the [4] knob to select "ALL INST LEVEL" for GK VOL FUNCTION.
Make sure that only the synth sound is heard when the switch is set to "GK", and only the normal pickup sound is heard when the switch is set to "GUITAR".
 * Normally, use the "MIX" position.
 * MAIN OUT and SUB OUT CHAIN ​​must be located after BALANCER3.

gumtown

Quote from: LinzHenderson on February 27, 2020, 11:16:44 AM

It means you can't play those super high notes by fretting on top of your pickups,
or if your guitar has 25 or more frets, anything higher is filtered out.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Brak(E)man

Quote from: gumtown on September 03, 2020, 02:40:58 PM
It means you can't play those super high notes by fretting on top of your pickups,
or if your guitar has 25 or more frets, anything higher is filtered out.

Same as on the SY-300 , I use a fender 4string mandolin tuned one octave above a guitar.
It doesn't work above e6 and the mandolins 24 fret is at e7 , but the amp/dist section works in that range.
I have not yet tried it with the SY-1000 but I'm guessing it's exactly the same.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Maudibe

I'm intrigued to know why anyone wants to go above the 24th fret on a guitar synth :) just tune it up an octave if you want to scare the local dogs.  :-*

PS - I do appreciate that some may want to use a slide/bottleneck up and past the nether zone... for regular guitar.