GR-50 + Godin Guitar

Started by lillibig, February 17, 2020, 05:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lillibig

Does anyone have any experience with the GR-50 and the Godin "Synth Access" guitars that have a built-in 13-pin MIDI pickup like the LGX-SA and the LGXT. I expect they work fine, but I saw a video where the newer synths like the GR-55 work better with the Godin when put into a special tracking mode designed to process the Godin's special piezo MIDI pickups. I am assuming the GR-50 doesn't have such a mode. I think you can still adjust the sensitivity on the GR-50 and that's probably good enough. Just looking for any experience anyone might have had running a GR-50 or older "vintage" style guitar synth with a Godin guitar.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group lillibig!  :)

admin

The old GR-50 lacks the Piezo GK settings, and sub frequency filter -

You may benefit with adding a third party GK13 sub filter
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17667.0

loulea

For me, it works better in terms of tracking than the using my GP-10. Using my GP-10 and my XTSa is a nightmare. The older synths should have decent filtering where as the newer ones removed it probably because of better COSM modelling or to allow bass players to use these synth. I use it for recording all the time.

Louis
Music is in everyone!!

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: loulea on April 16, 2020, 05:07:14 PM
For me, it works better in terms of tracking than the using my GP-10. Using my GP-10 and my XTSa is a nightmare. The older synths should have decent filtering where as the newer ones removed it probably because of better COSM modelling or to allow bass players to use these synth. I use it for recording all the time.

Louis

I know it's a old post and a little side tracking but if you ever see this, I would suggest making a godin xtsa profile on your GP-10 if you didn't already. You can have 3 profiles there. Set one up with piezo R for RMC and then I would suggest sensitivity around 40 on the GP-10 as well. Works great with my godin xtsa and gp-10.

admin

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on January 22, 2022, 07:21:29 PM
I know it's a old post and a little side tracking but if you ever see this, I would suggest making a godin xtsa profile on your GP-10 if you didn't already. You can have 3 profiles there. Set one up with piezo R for RMC and then I would suggest sensitivity around 40 on the GP-10 as well. Works great with my godin xtsa and gp-10.

Matches my experience. AFTER I configured a custom GK setting slot specifically for use with my 2012 & 2013 era  RMC equipped Godin xtSA & LGX-SA , my GP-10 tracks flawlessly- many missed the settings we recommend as a starting point.

These settings were crafted by Jim Williams for use with GR-55

Enter these settings appropriate/available on your GP-10, SY-1000, VG-99
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3912.0

July 2014   -
More details on setting up the GR-55 to track best with a Godin xTSA is here:

During the Christmas break I finally had some time to play with the GR-55 and my new Godin xTSA RMC pickup guitar.

I'm using these settings below with much success using my Godin xTSA (RMC) and stock GR-55 (rev 1.50 firmware )

Thanks Jim Williams!

On both my xTSA'a - the COSM Modleling sounds most excellent .

This is AFTER I follow Jim Williams Piezo Setup.

--
In System, Set the GK PU type to:
PU type ;  PIEZO R
Scale :  ST
PU phase : NORMAL
PU direction : NORMAL
S1/S2 position : NORMAL
NORM PU gain : 0 dB
PIEZO TONE  LOW  :    0
PIEZO TONE HIGH  :   +6

"DIS"
10.0 mm all strings (does not matter GR-55 ignores this for all Peizo PU selections)

"SEN"
Set the sensitivities for all strings to "50" average (+/-5  - that is all my strings have sensitivity set in the range between 45-55 .
Pre 2012 Godin. Set GK String Sensitivity  to "0"

"VEL"
Velocity Dynamics :  2
Play-Feel         :  2 (may vary depending on how you play synth tones)
Low-Velocity Cut  :  8-9

"NUA"
Nuance Dynamics   :  4
Nuance Trim       :  4

"DOW"
Shift   :   0
===============
Richard McClish (RMC) wrore>
However, properly adjusting the GK (system) settings is only half the story.
There are also patch-specific parameter adjustments to be performed which make a huge difference in play-feel and tracking results.

For example : CHROMATIC, LEGATO, LEVEL VELOCITY SENS & VELOCITY CURVE TYPE are all patch specific.
If chromatic and legato aren't properly set for what you want to do, you're not going to be happy with the results. I recommend discussing these topics on the VG forum. Some power users should be providing some patch-related preferences by now.

With regards to the usability of the GR-300 sounds (or lack thereof) thats where the G5SF-001 active jackboard with subsonic filtering does its best work.

The G5SF-001 active jackboard features polyphonic subsonic filtering to help eliminate unwanted side-effects due to the subsonic over- sensitivity of the GR-55 when using the analog GR-300 sounds.

The G5SF-001 beta prototype is under construction - see picture.
Pricing will be £ 90.
We expect to have units in stock in June or sooner.

I've created a special inquiries folder for this new product and I'll notify everyone who has requested one as soon as we have units ready to ship. The news will also be posted on the VG forums. I'm keeping their moderator informed so members will be provided with accurate information.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

I hope the information provided will be helpful.

Best regards,

RMC   Richard McClish""