GR-33 - My GR-33 Came Yesterday!

Started by BROCKSTAR, February 05, 2020, 03:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BROCKSTAR

So back in early 2000's I had one of these and me and my brother kept it for quite awhile but never really learned it well and only used it off and on and around 2008 we sold it... and I went through other GR units like the GR-1 and GR-30 etc.. which are also great but in the back of my mind I always missed the GR-33. Well I swore I wrote off hex stuff forever, but I got another one! Plays and sounds just like I remember it did 12 years ago but this time I'm going to dedicate time on learning it properly and figuring it out more than I did in the past which was hardly nothing except playing presets.

I also plan to get a US-20 one day and run this along with the new SY-1000 into my helix / zoia etc..

Brak(E)man

Thanx a lot Man  :( ::)
I just went and checked my storage unit.
So now I have the Gr33 to work with as well.
I said a long time ago I wasn't going back to regular guitarsynth after getting the vg-8 in -97
So now I have this and GR700 to program as well as the SY-1000 and I'm not done with SY-300 and haven't really started with the Spicetone 6appeal.
(which btw is the best analogue dist/synth after GR-300)

I need to get a life outside the studio and the couch one day.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Vaultnaemsae

Ah, the memories. Some of my best gigs ever were played with a VG-88 + GR-33 via US-20...Kinda miss the old gear.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on February 17, 2020, 06:23:19 AM
Ah, the memories. Some of my best gigs ever were played with a VG-88 + GR-33 via US-20...Kinda miss the old gear.
Now I have to go look for the VG-8 toooo  :-\
And I have an US-20 , time to sell SY-1000  ???
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

three_eyed_otter

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on February 05, 2020, 03:42:03 AM
So back in early 2000's I had one of these and me and my brother kept it for quite awhile but never really learned it well and only used it off and on and around 2008 we sold it... and I went through other GR units like the GR-1 and GR-30 etc.. which are also great but in the back of my mind I always missed the GR-33. Well I swore I wrote off hex stuff forever, but I got another one! Plays and sounds just like I remember it did 12 years ago but this time I'm going to dedicate time on learning it properly and figuring it out more than I did in the past which was hardly nothing except playing presets.

I also plan to get a US-20 one day and run this along with the new SY-1000 into my helix / zoia etc..

Hello BROCKSTAR,

I have a GR 33 on the way & since a year has passed since you purchased yours, I'm wondering if you're still getting some life out of it...I don't see you mentioning it your other posts.

Have a good one,

3EO

admin

FWIW,  a few if us are dusting off our old Roland GR-33 as we realize Roland is not releasing the replacement PCM guitar Synth anytime soon and rediscovering what a wonderful unit this is.
in my opinion the GR-33 tracks superior to the GR-55 PCM synths and offers much better user experience with it's expanded onboard controls for Glide and sostenuto sustain and expression peda. It has more detailed user interface than the older gr30 which is also quite good.

Just wish there was a Gumtown GR-33 Editor ;)

chrish

Quote from: admin on August 06, 2021, 09:46:00 AM
FWIW,  a few if us are dusting off our old Roland GR-33 as we realize Roland is not releasing the replacement PCM guitar Synth anytime soon and rediscovering what a wonderful unit this is.
in my opinion the GR-33 tracks superior to the GR-55 PCM synths and offers much better user experience with it's expanded onboard controls for Glide and sostenuto sustain and expression peda. It has more detailed user interface than the older gr30 which is also quite good.

Just wish there was a Gumtown GR-33 Editor ;)

I've dusted off my two. Roland GR50's guitar synths since buying that  guitar that I won't mention for the 100th time. ;)

Never tried the GR55 however that guitar I'm sure would improve its tracking performance just as it did with the GR50. Tracking most of my external synths also  significantly improved and I'm using the GR5O for pitch to midi translation.

Chumly

I had a GR-33 when they first came out and I loved it.  Some years later I sold it during a gear purge.  A while back I bought a GR-30 and a GR-33.  They were both so inexpensive it was like a gift.  I like them as all-in-one units, they work well, I know the sounds well, and I've always found them reasonably predictable, especially in the higher registers where the detection speed is not too shabby.  I suppose I should try and resurrect my Axon AX100sb as well, but I'll need to install a new backup battery and that's slightly fiddly, so I have not gotten around to it. My Axon AX100sb came with the Yamaha daughter board so it's the closest I have to an equivalent all in one.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Shingles

Quote from: Chumly on August 06, 2021, 03:32:10 PM
I had a GR-33 when they first came out and I loved it.  Some years later I sold it during a gear purge.  A while back I bought a GR-30 and a GR-33.  They were both so inexpensive it was like a gift.  I like them as all-in-one units, they work well, I know the sounds well, and I've always found them reasonably predictable, especially in the higher registers where the detection speed is not too shabby.  I suppose I should try and resurrect my Axon AX100sb as well, but I'll need to install a new backup battery and that's slightly fiddly, so I have not gotten around to it. My Axon AX100sb came with the Yamaha daughter board so it's the closest I have to an equivalent all in one.

You might want to remove the old battery from the AX100sb without delay, even if you don't replace it. The original batteries in the original blue panel Axons, when they get old, leak acid that attacks the copper traces in the circuit board.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Chumly

Right you are, I removed the old battery some years ago and there was a bit of leakage and I cleaned the board well.  Come to think of it, I might give it another cleaning in just case so thanks for the reminder.  Kind'a dumb that Blue Chip would not only use a proprietary battery that is now all but impossible to get, but one that is prone to leakage. I'm not suggesting I have any special knowledge on this unit, it's only what I've seen / read.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

whippinpost91850

Is there a replaceable battery in the GR33.  Thanks Paul

gumtown

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on August 07, 2021, 06:46:26 AM
Is there a replaceable battery in the GR33.  Thanks Paul

Yes, a CR2032 lithium button cell.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

gumbo

Same as the GR-30 and a few of the older Boss multi-effects units of the time...still common-enough battery in Oz to find one in the rack at the local service (gas) station...    ...the can-be-slightly-harder part of the exercise can be actually installing them..but it's not rocket surgery.  ;)

Better not to try doing it in a dimly-lit carpeted room frequented by multiple cats or small children tho'  ...... ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

alexmcginness

Well I decided to join the club and I picked up a pristine used GR-33 about 15 minutes ago. I had one way back but sold it ( dont laugh at me Smash ) and I got a great deal on this one so Im back in the game. Time to dig in tomorrow.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: alexmcginness on February 06, 2022, 02:04:57 PM
Well I decided to join the club and I picked up a pristine used GR-33 about 15 minutes ago. I had one way back but sold it ( dont laugh at me Smash ) and I got a great deal on this one so Im back in the game. Time to dig in tomorrow.

Welcome back to the club! i sent you a inbox message with a link to download all the files i downloaded from this forum for the gr-33, that way you don't have to do it!

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

chrish

Gave it a look. I'm sticking with the GR50 and external synths and samplers. The vid features the GR33 and the guy is kind of funny.

philjynx

Quote from: chrish on February 06, 2022, 05:19:34 PM
Gave it a look. I'm sticking with the GR50 and external synths and samplers. The vid features the GR33 and the guy is kind of funny.

I don't think I'll ever see a better kit-kat advert. :)

alexmcginness

Gave it a look. I'm sticking with the GR50 and external synths and samplers.

Ive got both. Just got another 33 today. Ill plug it in and set it up in the next couple of days and A/B it with the GR 50. For me is just about the choice between LA synthesis and the PCM? sounds and tracking in the 33. Ive got a GR-55 as well that is a bit glitchy for my tastes. Its all fun though. 

pasha811

Video was great! Worried about the guy with all those Kit Kats he's risking diabetis anytime now :P Let's hope he made it only for one video take.
In any case I think the remarks are good. GR33 was and is a great machine. Good advice that I found true about the limitation of GTR-to-MIDI as we have still today, although a fun to play with!
:)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

chrish

Quote from: pasha811 on February 06, 2022, 11:51:56 PM
Video was great! Worried about the guy with all those Kit Kats he's risking diabetis anytime now :P Let's hope he made it only for one video take.
In any case I think the remarks are good. GR33 was and is a great machine. Good advice that I found true about the limitation of GTR-to-MIDI as we have still today, although a fun to play with!
:)
yes, and in the studio as he points out, bad midi notes can be edited out. I agree, still loads of fun.

BROCKSTAR

After setting up my fender gk guitar and godin gk guitar with the right sensitivity and stuff, i've not had bad notes on gr-33 or gr-55 or gr-30 etc.. they all seemed to be very great. However when i had gk2a and gk3, they did cause a little issues, so i think built in gk units are superior for some reason.

alexmcginness

Completely forgot that the GR-33 can be used as a MIDI tone module too. Makes it nice when using an internal sound and you record midi out to your DAW. Any glitches can be edited then sent out to the GR 3 patch eror free and the audio recorded on to a patch. Record another part... and repeat.

admin

Another feature of the GR-33 is it responds to both the GK13 input and 5 pin MIDI Input at same time -a few use a Show Control system at live gigs,  and feed MIDI Note on/off messages from the Show Control system into the GR-33 during times you need to play different parts live.