SY-1000 - AXE FX Violin Sound on SY-1000?

Started by Yanko, January 26, 2020, 04:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yanko

I'm sure you've seen the various demos on youtube of violin patches created with the AXE FX using the synth block.

Would something similar be possible on the SY-1000?

The synth on the AXE FX is monophonic, so maybe the SY-1000 could sound like a 6 string polyphonic violin?

Hopefully someone here can create a patch that outshines the AXE FX... :)

jassy

I think the SY1000 does not incorporate this type of guitar synth metod.

JiveTurkey

A user on here (RolandVG99)created some great string presets for the 300 that did a great facsimile of a violin sound. I'm betting the 1000 can do an even better approximation, despite the lack of actual PCM sounds in the box.

jassy

I think he means this Axe cello/violin sound:

Im sure the SY1000 can do pretty good violin like type of sounds and much more things that the axe cant touch, but not sure if it can do this type of synthesis/sound of the video.
Unless the SY1k can do now that type of pure analog oscillator sound, time will say.

plexified

chrish

Synth violin is one of the easiest sounds to create on an analog synthesizer and should be no problem for the Sy 1000.

Smash

That should be an easy nut to crack. Bit of low pass Vio guitar thrown in for good measure maybe

plexified

jassy

One thing that the SY1000 lacks and it seems essential in this Axe recreation is the use of impulses captured from string (violin, viola, cello) boxes. So that's probably a problem.

There is another example of the Axe block synth, beautiful pure sine sound I hope can be reproduced also in the SY

About the Axe algorithm I think the OSC is probable the closest in the SY1000 world, so I hope this time is up to par.

gumtown

Quote from: plexified on January 26, 2020, 05:59:35 PM
You sure about that ?

not bad, I find the body is a bit too Cello'y on those low resonance notes.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Smash

Yes you can see they're using a resonance block in the chain - it defknitely has a sweet spot where its quite convincing.

JiveTurkey

Here is a link to a Soundcloud file of the string sounds I made a clip of on the SY300. Not near as rich sounding as the III; but doable in a pinch. The first riff is RolandVG's trumpet preset. The strings are the second and third in the sequence.
https://soundcloud.com/cavitation/sy300-demo-2016-wav

mooncaine

That sound Zappa is playing; I dig it the most.

Yanko

Thank you all for all the replies! :)

It probably is the mentioned resonance block that is doing the job but we will see if someone here has the time and patience to create something similar despite some things missing in the SY-1000.

Yanko

Has anyone come up with something similar to the AXE FX Violin?
I still don't have the SY-1000 and honestly know nothing about programming sounds. ;)

jozart

Nobulusprime

I'm going to give it go eventually. I've got an Axe FXii and the violin/cello sounds are really good.
There are some hurdles to get over, for example with the Axe you can stick an overdrive in front of the Synth block. Another issue is there's some inherent portamento in the Axe sound that I'm not sure is possible on the dynamic synth in the SY1000

myconsumerclub