You can assign which input active on a patch by patch bassis

arkieboy

Quote from: admin on January 17, 2020, 06:40:39 AM

Nice!
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

paganskins

Quote from: admin on January 17, 2020, 06:40:39 AM

Excellent, thanks for clarifying that Admin, much appreciated.

Paresh

Anyone know if it has a looper? blend mode like the Sy 300? stable enough to play any chords without glitches?
paresh

admin

Quote from: Paresh on January 17, 2020, 04:16:29 PM
Anyone know if it has a looper? blend mode like the Sy 300? stable enough to play any chords without glitches?

no looper

No SY-300 type "blender" auto patch generator function

When used with GK hex PU no glitches when playing chords

jipegonzo

Quote from: Elantric on January 08, 2020, 07:12:20 AM
I'm starting to explore the SY-1000 as my whole rig. ( Yes I have one (SN 00001!) , but still under NDA which prevents posting Youtube demos )
I find SY-1000 works very well, prefer the workflow over the GT-1000.
I actually prefer the SY-1000 vs the GT-1000 - the GT-1000 has its CAB block set in the final output stage and its not ideal when attempting to use GT-1000 FX loop to mix external Synths and GT-1000 Guitar into a FRFR cab - SY-1000 the Cab Block is tied to the AMP Block ( where it belongs)

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf

More here

On SY-1000 , there is a "MANUAL  MODE", which remaps the lower Row of 4 Foot switches as: (L-R)

1 INST 1 ( on/off)
2 INST 2 ( on/off)
3 INST 3 ( on/off)
4 NORMAL GUITAR  ( on/off)

This Manual mode becomes a powerful live performance tool.
Many factory patches have a full Normal Guitar signal path with GT-1000 class fx and Amp Cab Modeling, so i can turn off INST1-INST3, and just use the Normal Guitar signal path for my basic sound. Then I can dynamically mid song add in the INST1 , INST2, INST3 blocks  - like toggling on/off more effects as needed. Its a powerful tool, and 32 bit Audio I/O shines with depth

And for Normal Electric Guitar Sounds I find the SY-1000 patch creation easier to navigate and build a usable patch much faster than GT-1000, with the SY-1000 Amps and Cab block tied in same location allows transparency for the Synth INST Blocks, not encumbered with the GT-1000's paradigm of tying the Cab Sim block into the final Output block ( a major hurdle on GT-1000 IMHO)

More soon  - but Im thrilled with the SY-1000 sounds and workflow and look forward to offering more perspective after next Wednesday ( Jan 15) , when I'm allowed to say more - but I will be traveling to attend NAMM so I'll add more here as I can !           

Update -  I have tested the SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI performance using its 5 pin MIDI Output feeding a third party MIDI Module  -

the MIDIPlus MINI Engine Plus   

I found acceptable Guitar to MIDI performance. Still must be careful and precise with your playing technique to avoid mis triggers, but I could accomplish solid consistent performance.

I A/B tested SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI Performance vs GR-55 Guitar to MIDI Performance, I observed both exhibit similar latency, but the GR-55 was more prone to sporadic random notes, while the SY-1000 I felt delivered a more consistent performance with fewer mis-triggers       

The Fishman Tripleplay delivers lower latency on the low E, A, D strings.

And its possible that after the SY-1000 USB Driver becomes available, the SY-1000 Guitar to MIDI over USB may deliver lower latency than the SY-1000's  5 pin MIDI Out   

So far my only minor complaints?
* Headphone Out - the SY-1000 has a weaker lower decibel headphone output - which was noticeable when comparing to the GR-55 headphone output

If you review the rear panel, you can see its crowded and the SY-1000 Headphone Out is a shared dual function 1/4" output jack with the Main Left Out Jack

* No 3.5mm TRS AUX Input - I use this a LOT on my Boss GP-10 for playing along to backing tracks from my portable Sony Recorder, or connecting a $15 Bluetooth Audio receiver for streaming Youtube Guitar videos to practice.

* No Balanced Outputs - which forces use of a separate stereo passive DI box on larger stages

We are waiting now your videos...:o)

jassy

Quote from: jipegonzo on January 19, 2020, 06:02:18 AM
We are waiting now your videos...:o)
And your no NDA opinions and review!!

rolandvg99

FX-loop and a possible 4 outputs with separate EQ means this one will be a dream with external loopers.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

admin

Quote from: jassy on January 16, 2020, 05:04:59 PM
Nobody attending the NAMM want to share their opinion about the SY1000?
I would like to much to hear more opinions.
Especially on the following matters which are my main doubts:
Its a real evolution over the SY300?, the Dynamic Synth sounds better, less dirty, rough and gritty? more like an analog Synth? or its more or less the same sound and experience?
The OSC synth how is the playing experience? latency, unpredictability, false triggers?
How it compares in the amps and effects department to the GT1000? its 1:1? they are indistinguishable or are different?
any improvement in the guitar emulation department, in the acoustic and nylon sounds Poly FX?
etc?  ;D
Thank you in advance.

Alec Lee wrote>
In person, the demo was pretty darn amusing.

IMO, the size difference between the SY-300 (which I also own) and the SY-1000 isn't that great. The 300 is big enough to make me reluctant to find it a permanent place on my board but offers much less functionality than the 1000. SY-1's lack of presets make it something of a one-trick pony. I might still keep it for the one trick even if I get the 1000 but I'd want something more than the 1 for "serious" synth work, a role that until now was held down by a VG-99.

Keep in mind, there are two broad categories of guitar synth users:
Those looking to eliminate the need for a keyboardist
Those looking to broaden their tonal palette beyond the traditional guitar timbres
I'm definitely in the latter category. While I look at the Quad Cortex as an interesting possibility for my traditional guitar processing, it occurs to me that a board with both the QuadC and SY-1000 would be super capable and not obnoxious large. Even with the outboard pedals I'd want t have, I think I could fit everything on a 24 or 27" board. I'm pretty comfortable with that form factor and would be an amazingly capable rig.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29854788/

plexified

I like Alec and have to point out that we don't fit inside just two categories ...   ;D

mchad

Quote from: admin on January 19, 2020, 09:58:23 AM
Alec Lee wrote>
In person, the demo was pretty darn amusing.

IMO, the size difference between the SY-300 (which I also own) and the SY-1000 isn't that great. The 300 is big enough to make me reluctant to find it a permanent place on my board but offers much less functionality than the 1000. SY-1's lack of presets make it something of a one-trick pony. I might still keep it for the one trick even if I get the 1000 but I'd want something more than the 1 for "serious" synth work, a role that until now was held down by a VG-99.

Keep in mind, there are two broad categories of guitar synth users:
Those looking to eliminate the need for a keyboardist
Those looking to broaden their tonal palette beyond the traditional guitar timbres
I'm definitely in the latter category. While I look at the Quad Cortex as an interesting possibility for my traditional guitar processing, it occurs to me that a board with both the QuadC and SY-1000 would be super capable and not obnoxious large. Even with the outboard pedals I'd want t have, I think I could fit everything on a 24 or 27" board. I'm pretty comfortable with that form factor and would be an amazingly capable rig.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29854788/

I'm in this category. Broadening the tonal palette. For me I can see a blend scenario with amp tones to the fore but the SY1000 mixed back a bit but filling out the sound. Will the SY's amp modelling suffice? I don't know but I'm looking forward to first spending the time crafting tones in line with the core usual suspects. As follows:

JC120 operating room clean
Fender sweet clean
Vox AC30 TB loud with channels jumped
Marshall dirt

Then all of the above with a boost setting.

Effects are crucial. It's incredible how far we've come with the type and quality of effects we have these days.

What a time to be a guitar player.

admin

Vance Galloway wrote>

Regarding SY-1000, the caveat here is that I wasn't literally A/B testing them as I didn't have a GP-10 there with me, but yes, I thought the acoustic models sounded significantly more realistic and definitely seemed to handle dynamic playing changes better than the go-10 (or vg-99) .... oddly enough the banjo and sitar seemed especially good.
The steel string acoustics really seemed to respond well to changing playing technique and volume.
The sequencer is going to be cool to use. The dynamic synth is really cool sounding.
I think this box has some serious potential! I think it could be some people's "everything" box, but it's also very well equipped to be a key player in a much more elaborate rig.
Again, I was more impressed than I though I would be.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/660323021120062/699108057241558/?comment_id=780003182485378&notif_id=1579550980825175&notif_t=group_comment

admin

DGTCrazy wrote>

So I got a chance to finally demo one of these at NAMM........and I've gotta admit that I've not played something that got my creative juices flowing so much in a very long time. 30 minutes went by in what felt was like a minute....and I just touched the surface. The guitarist they had in the Boss Demo Room did an amazing job of demonstrating the capabilities of this thing......and it's on my wish list.
Yeah...the demo they posted was pretty cheesy (unless you're in a 80's Tribute Band...LOL). But being able to play with one and experiment (and I didn't even scratch the surface).....well that's the only way you'd be able to hear and/or create your own patches that could achieve ambient, experimental and synth sounds with (to my ear) no detectable latency and just gorgeous sounds. I own the two previous itterations (Boss GP-10 and GR-55) and the SY-1000 crushes them IMO. I use mine with a US Fender Roland Ready Stratocaster and the SY is replacing them....and no....I will not be playing Ghostbusters

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29868774/

Headless68

Question for someone with an SY1000
In 'dynamic synth' there is a OSC waveform parameter called 'input' which does not use an oscillator to drive the synth sound but uses the guitar Audio input instead

What does that sound & feel like in practice ?

imerkat

Quote from: Headless68 on January 22, 2020, 02:58:50 AM
Question for someone with an SY1000
In 'dynamic synth' there is a OSC waveform parameter called 'input' which does not use an oscillator to drive the synth sound but uses the guitar Audio input instead

What does that sound & feel like in practice ?

I was under the impression this meant it was off so you can use the filters and envelope to effect the dry signal

guitarno

The SY-1000 looks and sounds pretty intriguing (bad demo videos not withstanding), but I am still on the fence as to whether or not to order one. There are a couple of points I don't have a clear understanding of yet, especially regarding signal routing and inputs/outputs. I would use it in several different scenarios:

1.   By itself into a house PA
2.   Coupled to a tube guitar amp
3.   Both of the above concurrently

It's a huge improvement over the GP-10 that it has an effects loop. Should make routing it in 4CM with a tube amp easy. In scenario #3 above, is there some way to have the cab sim on for one output (to PA), and off for another one (to stage amp)?

Sounds like the guitar modeling is on par with or better than the GP-10 which I thought was not perfect maybe, but very good and very usable live. That's awesome. I would definitely use that along with the alternate tunings. I currently am using a JTV for this but in some ways I preferred the guitar modeling on the GP-10, and from what Elantric is saying, it is improved in the SY-1000.

Also, when using Synth and/or Modeled acoustic guitar sounds, and driven electric guitar sounds concurrently, I assume you can route the signals to separate outputs to send to different amps.

I don't understand all the routing possibilities and limitations yet. I've got a lot of manual reading in my future apparently.

I will be looking for any kind of deal I can get when I order one. I don't know what kind of price break, if any I can get from Sweetwater or other vendors. Is there going to be a group buy happening here?
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

gumtown

Quote from: guitarno on January 23, 2020, 12:52:28 PM
is there some way to have the cab sim on for one output (to PA), and off for another one (to stage amp)?
Yes you can assign different cab options to the different outputs independently.

Also, when using Synth and/or Modeled acoustic guitar sounds, and driven electric guitar sounds concurrently, I assume you can route the signals to separate outputs to send to different amps.
Yes, you can switch 'off' the stereo link for each output pair, and have 4 different outputs each with its own parametric EQ.
Set the Mixer blocks so that each Channel is hard panned Left or Right.
You can move the effects around the signal chain to share amongst each output.

I don't understand all the routing possibilities and limitations yet. I've got a lot of manual reading in my future apparently.
Go to the Boss SY-1000 webpage, download and install SY-1000 tone studio,
and run it in offline mode to see what functions and parameter settings are available visually.

I will be looking for any kind of deal I can get when I order one. I don't know what kind of price break, if any I can get from Sweetwater or other vendors.
Is there going to be a group buy happening here?
I don't know if any group buy is going to happen, you might want to call Alto Music if you are in the U.S. and ask what deal they can give a VGuitarForums member.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

guitarno

Quote from: gumtown on January 23, 2020, 01:27:10 PM
Yes you can assign different cab options to the different outputs independently.
Yes, you can switch 'off' the stereo link for each output pair, and have 4 different outputs each with its own parametric EQ.
Set the Mixer blocks so that each Channel is hard panned Left or Right.
You can move the effects around the signal chain to share amongst each output.
Go to the Boss SY-1000 webpage, download and install SY-1000 tone studio,
and run it in offline mode to see what functions and parameter settings are available visually.
I don't know if any group buy is going to happen, you might want to call Alto Music if you are in the U.S. and ask what deal they can give a VGuitarForums member.

Thanks for the response gumtown!  8) I appreciate it. I'm glad those are all doable. I will load up the editor and start getting used to the interface. I had the GP-10 for a number of years (purchased through a group buy here) so I am used to using the tone studio editor for that. 
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

alexmcginness

Will this allow me to use two modeled guitars in the same patch. In my VG-99 I have chain A with a Strat set to use the neck pickup and on chain B a strat with the PU selector set to C+R and use the S1 and S2 buttons on m y GK to switch between the two. Cant this be done on the SY 1000?
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Quote from: alexmcginness on January 24, 2020, 07:35:17 AM
Will this allow me to use two modeled guitars in the same patch. In my VG-99 I have chain A with a Strat set to use the neck pickup and on chain B a strat with the PU selector set to C+R and use the S1 and S2 buttons on m y GK to switch between the two. Cant this be done on the SY 1000?

You can use three modelled guitars in each patch

Review SY-1000 FAQ and download Boss Tone Studio and run offline to to review ALL features and Conttol Assignments

admin

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BossSY1000Users/?multi_permalinks=470456320289199&notif_id=1580360320066284&notif_t=group_activity

Ed Pettersen wrote>

Okay, first off right out of the box get the latest drivers and do a system update. It ships with v. 100 and it's now at v. 103. Go by the exact directions at the Boss site. After that? This thing is awesome! Of course, duh, it's even better with the GK-3 pickup because it opens up a whole 'nother world but the Tone Studio app is fantastic. There are drop down menus for effects, etc. and you can even double click to type in exact values rather than using the mouse to rotate the parameter wheels. You can also drag and drop the send and return path after the split between instrument and normal. Very impressive. It's not as big as I expected and the effects sound great. Took me 10 minutes to set up a pedal board in the normal path. One thing I'd like to see in the future: A way to update firmware direct from the app as a drop down choice but other than that I think it's a winner.

Okay, so more with the SY-1000 yesterday: as Steve Conrad kindly pointed out, if you're not using a GK-3 pickup start with patches P 48-50 to reconfigure for regular guitar via the 1/4" jack. Virtually everything can be tweaked via the Tone Central app (or the face of the SY-1000 in the menu). I find the app easier. One thing I'm not sure, or at least can figure out yet via the app is how to change from one effect to another in a chain via the app.
Ah yes, that's the issue. The effects I was trying to change are "immutable" blocks. Good to know!
That would be a very useful firmware update request (as well as the ability to update firmware in the future via the drop down menu in the app rather than downloading from the Boss site and doing it manually). Pertaining to the amp models I found them to be quite good and highly usable. I did try changing models, speaker configurations and mic distance but like most modelers I've tried (a lot!) they pretty much have them tweaked right for their product from the factory. YMMV. Overall, I think this product is a big winner and you're gonna' have a ton of fun with it and shouldn't be shy about buying/diving in. I think it will only get better and more refined in time. And if you do have a 13-pin pickup it's off the charts with this unit. Enjoy!!

Manual mode is where it's at BTW. Very, very useful.

And from my post of this morning if you can't change an effect it's probably and immovable effect. However FX 1, 2 and 3 can be moved, even from the instrument path, and dragged in the app or moved manually in the unit to the normal path or summed master path and then changed into whatever effect or parameter you wish.

And use the CTL assignments!! They rock and make the unit even more powerful.

So after a few hours over the last few days I think I have a bead on this device. There's no reason to be afraid of it (admittedly I did have some experience with the Boss architecture before this with the MS-3 which helped a bit). I've come up with some crazy patches which I will share soon (and perhaps demo time permitting) A few things to keep in mind: When you get the unit get the drivers, Tone Central app and new system firmware (it ships with v 100 and it's already at 103). They've also already done an update to the Tone Central app which is amazing. Another thing to keep in mind is that some effects are "immutable" meaning they can be moved and their parameters adjusted but not swapped out for another effect. However, FX 1,2 and 3 can be moved FROM ANY PATH including instrument paths, changed to any new effect in the "type" parameter and put in any path you wish. The send/return can also me moved to where you wish (I put mine before delays and reverb in the master path for instance). Manual mode--very useful in that you can assign each instrument to a separate foot switch. Global EQ--yes, there is a global EQ and it's very, very handy. Do it. The Tone Central app is by far the simplest way to adjust/control/assign things and create new madness. Again, use the CTL assigns for as many things as you like (within the parameters....I can see at least 10 or more assign options but I sure didn't need more than that). I actually like the amp and cab options. You can add a little sag and adjust the mic distance (closer is brighter) and choose many combos. They are all very, very good IMO. Definitely gig capable. If you're using the 1/4" guitar input and not a 13-pin pickup start with presets 48-50 which is already set up pretty much with the instrument paths using dynamic synth which is the only option for regular guitar without a GK-3 or similar. Anyways, that's for starters. It won't take you long to be up and running just don't get frustrated. There's an answer for everything on FB and the V Guitar Forums.

admin

David Kelly wrote>
Got my SY-1000 today!! Having a blast just going through the presets! Just started to dive in and do some editing.
So far I am really impressed! Layering it with the GR-55 is insane! Massive sound with a lot of possibilities!

‎Boss SY-1000 Users Group
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10221779443457668&set=gm.471399020194929&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Kevin M

Got mine today. Spent some time updating the firmware, and installing drivers and BTS.

One comment on BTS...it's pretty slow refreshing the layout after changing presets. I'm on a reasonably beefy Mac mini, circa late 2014 running 10.13.x.

I spent about 3 hours just going through all the patches in the user banks.  Some of these are quite usable; others are decent starting points for patches. There is a lot to love in this unit's synth capabilities, and the routing is pretty darn flexible. For these two alone, I think it's worth the price.

I'm not as happy with the guitar/amp modeling after this first pass. I don't hear an overwhelming improvement from the VG-99 in them.  I'd like to be able to insert an effect between the guitar and amp model WITHIN the instrument block. Also, the ability to load custom IR's is really a must.  Generally, these are minor gripes...it's a very deep guitar synth and I'm super impressed.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: Kevin M on January 31, 2020, 09:45:38 PM

I'm not as happy with the guitar/amp modeling after this first pass. I don't hear an overwhelming improvement from the VG-99 in them.  I'd like to be able to insert an effect between the guitar and amp model WITHIN the instrument block. Also, the ability to load custom IR's is really a must.  Generally, these are minor gripes...it's a very deep guitar synth and I'm super impressed.

I played it again today to focus on the amp sounds as I need that right away.
I was excited to hear the new improved GT-1000 amps.
This sounds like they made a mistake and put the amps from a GT-8 in instead.
Not good to my ear at all. Very surprised.
This CANT be the same thing from the flagship GT-1000...

Nobulusprime

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on February 01, 2020, 07:26:18 AM
I played it again today to focus on the amp sounds as I need that right away.
I was excited to hear the new improved GT-1000 amps.
This sounds like they made a mistake and put the amps from a GT-8 in instead.
Not good to my ear at all. Very surprised.
This CANT be the same thing from the flagship GT-1000...

I'm hoping it's a mistake they can rectify... That said all of their literature says effects from the GT1000 but no mention of 'amp modeling'... At this kind of dollar you'd expect it, wouldn't you? One to ask Boss/Roland for clarification?