How to save (and keep) different patch levels in Boss Tone Studio for GP-10

Started by thetwangler, January 06, 2020, 03:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thetwangler

There's got to be a simple solution to the problem I have having.....  Having owned a GR-55 I am familiar with changing and saving parameters for each patch I use. One of the key parameters is patch level, since some of each patch's attributes can affect the overall volume and you want them to match pretty much in a gig setting without having to adjust your GK Volume knob for each patch.  I have no problem with a GR-55 saving different output volumes for different patches. But for some reason (and a simple one I'm sure) I am having trouble with editing GP-10 patches, adjusting the patch level and then saving.  Because if I go to another patch and then return to the recently saved patch, the patch level has reverted to what appears to be a global setting for all patches. Maddening!

What am I doing wrong? I do seem to understand in the Boss Tone Studio software that you can set functions to be system wide or patch setting only, like for the CTRL switches or the GK-3 switches, etc., using the "CTL/GK/EXP" settings, but I can't see how to make the patch level for each patch to be patch specific and not global.  Please explain if you can and I thank you!

thetwangler

And, for me, it was a simple solution after all.  In the GKVOL settings (Boss Tone Central is easier to use), I had had that set globally as a system function and so the GK-3's volume knob would alter the patch level setting depending on where I set it.  The answer to my problem was to uncheck the GKVOL system function setting and select the patch function setting instead to command the individual patch.  Then I chose either modeling volume or normal pickup volume depending on what the patch uses in order to allow the GK's volume knob to control volume without altering the patch's set level. Only then could I tailor the patch level to that individual patch only and then save it to return to.  Silly little fix I know!  Perhaps my experience will help somebody with the same question :)

j.d.roost

This was driving me crazy!
I was having to go in and adjust amp levels and such (messing up intended patch sound).
Can't wait to try it tonight.
Thanks so much  ;D

HDman2008

This is an update to thetwrangler's fix (as I was apparently doing something wrong).

I tried the fix but wasn't working so I emailed Roland Boss and here's what they replied which worked.
One of the pics is from their email and the one is from my BTS printout (as I wanted to document it for myself).

from their email:
"...Maybe the Patch Volume is set to a system setting or the Patch Volume could be controlled by EXP1.
Double check your system settings to make sure EXP1 is controlling FOOT VOL (internal volume pedal) instead of PATCH LEVEL.
This might be the cause of the error. "

I hope this helps.

toddkc