SY-1000 - FAQ

Started by admin, December 12, 2019, 11:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

General consensus is SY-1000 will arrive at stores mid to late February 2020

But Sam Ash is shipping 1st
https://www.samash.com/boss-sy-1000-guitar-synthesizer--rsy1000xx-p

QuoteEd Pettersen
Got my tracking today from Sam Ash. Mine arrives Tuesday.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BossSY1000Users/?multi_permalinks=467562003911964&notif_id=1579883032581756&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

admin

admin

Quote from: carlb on February 26, 2020, 07:18:52 PM
Ehm, pretty bad that use case wasn't thought through, turned into requirements.

This editor is "WYSINWYE" - "What You See Is Not What You Expect."

Transfer operations seem to be to and from the editor. From a patch on the SY-1000 to the editor, from the editor to a live set. Live set to disk file and disk file to live set. I overwrite from an SY-1000 patch to an existing patch within a liveset, thinking I'm overwriting it. Then copy that patch back out from the live set to another patch slot on the SY-1000. But when I check the patch as written to the SY-1000 there's none of the new changes that I had made: it's the patch as it was in the live set, not as I thought I had overwritten as.

What the heck? I must not understand what's really going on and being represented by this user interface.  Frustrating.

Where's the tutorial? I know the manual would be correct, but near useless to learn from.
Roland often has a temporary area for the patch that is selected. And you have to select a patch to edit it. Editing occurs in the temporary patch area. This seems to be the case with the SY-1000. I usually start sound design with Write->Clear and when you do this you get the message The temporary tone setting will be initialized. If you switch to another patch, the original patch that you cleared is restored. I often do this when noodling around and recording. So editing isn't changing a patch; the patch isn't changed until you write it.
I haven't created any livesets with the 1000 yet, but BTS looks similar to the 300. In creating a liveset you specify a patch and it is read out of HW and saved in the liveset. Based on what you wrote you get the results I would expect. You need to write your changes before you save them to a liveset.

admin

Amplification recommendations for DSP Guitar Modeling systems
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=230.0

admin

Quote from: Frank on January 29, 2020, 05:29:57 AM
But can you have both the GK and 1/4 inch inputs active simultaneously?

For 1/4" Normal Input Synth Factory Patches
Start at P48-1 thru P50-4-  look for patches that are named "NOR: xxxx"

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_soundlist_eng01_W.pdf

anytime the 1/4" input is occupied  - it removes the Normal Guitar input signal from the GK 13 pin input

and

Search on "NORMAL" in the Reference Manual
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_reference_eng01_W.pdf
See Page 13
NORMAL PATCH - Patches for a conventional guitar (bass) that is connected to the GUITAR INPUT. These can be used even if you don't have a divided pickup. You can also use these patches with the conventional guitar (bass) signal (normal pickup) that is routed through the divided pickup. If you're using Normal patch, the GK icon goes dark.
* DYNAMIC SYNTH is the only INST TYPE that can be selected for normal patches.

DYNAMIC Synth String Pan / Level

DYNAMIC Synth User Alt Tuning and User Pitch Bend Range

DYNAMIC Synth - OSC TYPES

DYNAMIC Synth with Two User Assignable Arpeggiator Sequencers

DYNAMIC Synth Layer Note Range Assignment

admin

Review SY-1000 USB Direct Off Mode- to use external DAW hosted VST effects (Scuffham S- Gear, Helix Native, etc)

Review all the Points in the Signal chain (Highlighted in Yellow)  which are accessible as USB AUDIO INPUTS and OUTPUTS

Review the USB Audio section in the Reference Manual

and the README.HTM file in the USB DRIVER download -
Even the SY-1000 Win10 USB Driver has an important "README.HTM" file you must read  inside the download zip  file)
Audio input/output device
Of the total audio input/output channels provided by the SY-1000, there are 8 INs and 8 OUTs

[WAVE OUT Devices]
OUT (SY-1000)
GK 1-2 (SY-1000)  = High E & B String
GK 3-4 (SY-1000)  = G & D String
GK 5-6 (SY-1000)  = A & Low E String
*   If you've specified a different name in the "Sound" settings of the Control Panel, the name you specified will be displayed.

[WAVE IN Devices]
IN (SY-1000)
GK 1-2 (SY-1000)  = High E & B String
GK 3-4 (SY-1000)  = G & D String
GK 5-6 (SY-1000)  = A & Low E String
*   If you've specified a different name in the "Sound" settings of the Control Panel, the name you specified will be displayed.

[ASIO device]
When using the SY-1000 with an ASIO-compatible application, select "SY-1000" as the ASIO setting for your application.
*   To prevent an audio feedback loop or double monitoring, make settings on your application to turn monitoring off.
*   The SY-1000 main unit does not support ASIO Direct Monitor, but if you use Cubase, by enabling Direct Monitoring in the Cubase setting, you can prevent loop oscillation of audio equipment and duplicate monitoring.
*   When using the SY-1000 with ASIO, we recommend that you set your application so that it does not use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. (In order to decrease the load, and for convenience when changing Audio Buffer Size of the driver.)

MIDI input/output device
*   In the Windows Media Player, the MIDI input/output device of SY-1000 cannot be used.
Please select the following device in your MIDI compatible application.
[MIDI OUT devices]
SY-1000
SY-1000 DAW CTRL

[MIDI IN devices]
SY-1000
SY-1000 DAW CTRL

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/29914572/
Germanicus wrote>
QuoteFWIW you can send each string as its own USB signal channel and separately apply its own processing. I did this with the GP10 and had separate instantiations of Helix Native for each string. Doing so you can apply different IRs to each. Its not for the feint of heart and your computer needs to be built like 1980's Arnold, but its possible.

I think using this in conjunction with a Godin, which has the capacity to output piezo signals, offers quite a few possibilities for additional IR based modeling (you can get quite convincing acoustic guitar tones throwing IR's on Godin acoustic sounds).

admin

And check out the "MANUAL MODE"
On SY-1000 , there is a "MANUAL MODE", which remaps the lower Row of 4 Foot switches as: (L-R)
1 INST 1 ( on/off)
2 INST 2 ( on/off)
3 INST 3 ( on/off)
4 NORMAL GUITAR ( on/off)
This Manual mode becomes a powerful live performance tool.
Many factory patches have a full Normal Guitar signal path with GT-1000 class fx and Amp Cab Modeling, so i can turn off INST1-INST3, and just use the Normal Guitar signal path for my basic sound. Then I can dynamically mid song add in the INST1 , INST2, INST3 blocks - like toggling on/off more effects as needed. Its a powerful tool, and 32 bit Audio I/O shines with depth
( see the SY-1000 Factory GUITAR / BASS Patch Sound List list here )
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26924.msg199226#msg199226
I own all - today the Guitar and Bass modeling on SY-1000 is best
Use a GK-3 Mag divided PU ( unlike Variax) you can use your standard right hand Palm mute playing technique and SY-1000 reacts as a normal Electric guitar with Mag PU's
And for Normal Electric Guitar Sounds I find the SY-1000 patch creation easier to navigate and build a usable patch much faster than GT-1000, with the SY-1000 Amps and Cab block tied in same location allows transparency for the Synth INST Blocks, not encumbered with the GT-1000's paradigm of tying the Cab Sim block into the final Output block ( a major hurdle on GT-1000 IMHO)

Manual Control  mode and bottom three left footswitches  toggle on off INST1, INST2, INST3

There are user definable configurations for Switch 1,2,3,4 in MANUAL MODE 
Enable  Momentary mode for each bottom 4 foot switches (INST1,INST2,INST1,NRML

Boss SY-1000 MIDI Implementation
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/SY-1000_MIDI_Implementation.pdf

See page 13

"00 34 | 0000 000a | Manual Num1 Mode (0 - 1) |
| | | TOGGLE, MOMENT "

00 36 | 0000 000a | Manual Num2 Mode (0 - 1) |
| | | TOGGLE, MOMENT |

00 38 | 0000 000a | Manual Num3 Mode (0 - 1) |
| | | TOGGLE, MOMENT

admin

Search on VARIATION in the SY-1000 Reference Manual

SY-1000 REFERENCE MANUAL (01)

A saved VARIATION can be loaded into a different patch, which is convenient when you're creating sounds.
You can save and load 50 variations for each INST TYPE.
(COMMON parameters and ALT TUNE parameters are excepted.)

A saved VARIATION can be loaded into a different patch, which is convenient when you're creating sounds.
LFO1 and LFO2 settings can be saved/loaded as 50 different variations.
SEQUENCER1, SEQUENCER2, and TARGET settings can be saved/loaded as 50 different variations.
AMP settings can be saved/ loaded as ten different variations
Acoustic AC RESONANCE settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
AUTO WAH settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
CHORUS settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations
CLASSIC-VIBE settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations
COMPRESSOR settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
DEFRETTER settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
DEFRETTER BASS settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
DELAY settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations. These variations are shared with the MASTER DELAY setting.
FLANGER and FLANGER BASS settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
FOOT VOLUME settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations. The variations are common to FOOT VOLUME 1 and FOOT VOLUME 2.
GRAPHIC EQ settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
HARMONIST settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
HUMANIZER settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
ISOLATOR settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.(An effect that cuts the sound of the specified Frequency region)
LIMITER settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
LO-FI settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
OCTAVE and OCTAVE BASS settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
PAN settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
PARAMETRIC EQ settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations. These variations are shared with the EQ1 and EQ2 block setting
PEDAL BEND settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
PHASER settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
PITCH SHIFTER settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
REVERB settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
RING MOD settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
ROTARY settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
SITAR SIM settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
SLICER settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
SLOW GEAR and SLOW GEAR BASS settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
SOUND HOLD settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
TOUCH WAH and TOUCH WAH BASS settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
TREMOLO settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
VIBRATO settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
WAH settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.
AMP Modeling settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations. The variations are common to AMP Modeling (when E.GUITAR, E.BASS, ACOUSTIC, or AC BASS is selected) within the INST.
CHORUS settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations. These variations are shared with the CHORUS setting in FX1–FX3.
COMPRESSOR settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations. These variations are shared with the COMPRESSOR setting in FX1–FX3.
DISTORTION settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations.
EQ settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations. These variations are shared with the PARAMETRIC EQ setting in FX1–FX3.
DELAY settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations. These variations are shared with the DELAY setting in FX1–FX3.
REVERB settings can be saved/ loaded as ten variations. These variations are shared with the REVERB setting in FX1–FX3.
NOISE SUPPRESSOR settings can be saved/loaded as ten variations.

Boss Tone Studio for SY-1000 allows you to create , Backup and Restore your Custom INSTRUMENT & EFFECT  VARIATIONS

Quotei tried but Variations never work for me
I had that problem, too.
When have settings you want to save, click on the Variations button.  What I did wrong was to first scroll down to an empty slot.  Doing this changes your settings back to default.
I had to first click the "Variations ->" button and then scroll down to the desired slot.  Then press write to save.

admin

SY-1000 - PATCH MIDI TRANSMISSION Messages
When you change patches, a program number and bank select messages are transmitted to an external MIDI device.
* If the "MIDI SETTING" parameter "TX PC MAP" is set to FIX, the PATCH MIDI function will not operate. Set the parameter to "PATCH MIDI."

admin

And ShawnB's Excellent GR-55 GUITAR to MIDI Settings doc still applies to SY-1000
Download here ( Must be Signed in as a VGuitarForums Member- Free)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=31
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6972.0

and

MIDI controller Setup / Debug
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

MIDI Tutorials
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2977.0

admin

SY-1000 Guitar Modeling Types

ELECTRIC MODELS

Acoustic Models

admin

Quotealiensporebomb said: ↑
Wow. You can run the SY-1000, GP-10 and VG-99 editors all at the same time! (note, having three monitors may help).
Do it all the time

admin

SY-1000 REFERENCE MANUAL (01)

MEMO Bullet points

MODE SETTING
Here you can specify whether you're using the SY-1000 with a guitar connected or with a bass connected.
Choose guitar mode (GUITAR) if you're using it with a guitar, or choose bass mode (BASS) if you're using it with a bass.

MEMO
* With the factory settings, this is turned "ON."
* The SY-1000 starts up in the selected mode until you switch the mode again.
* Some parameters are shown differently depending on the selected mode.
* Patches are saved independently for guitar mode and for bass mode.

MEMO
The GK SETTING is saved even when the power is turned off. You don't need to make this setting again each time you perform.

Pickup settings are automatically saved in the number (SETTING: [1]–[10]) that you selected in step 5.

MEMO
* A piezo pickup is a type of pickup that is mounted on the bridge of the guitar, and uses a piezoelectric element to detect the vibrations of the strings.

* If you don't know the type of your piezo pickup, try selecting different choices while you play your guitar, and choose the setting that produces the most natural sound.

* If you've chosen piezo type, you'll be able to make further adjustments to the tone quality of the high range and low range.

If you've installed a (Mag GK) divided pickup on your guitar, proceed to step 9 "Specifying the Distance from the Bridge" (p. 10)
This (Distance) setting is not needed if GK PU TYPE is "Roland V-Guitar GC-1" or if you selected a piezo type pickup

MEMO
Depending on the guitar (bass) you're using, the level meter might reach full-scale even if the sensitivity is at minimum. If this is the case, adjust the distance between the divided pickup and the string so it's somewhat greater than the recommendation.

MEMO
As for INST1, you can operate INST2 with the [3] knob and [4] knob, and operate INST3 with the [5] knob and [6] knob.

MEMO
To change a value in larger steps, turn a [1]–[5] knob while pressing it.

MEMO
You can also change patches by turning [1] knob below the display.

* To change a value in larger steps, turn a knob while pressing it.

* You can use the PAGE [<] [>] buttons to switch between the parameters.

* The number of parameters and pages differs depending on the effect.

* In the edit screen, you can press the [INST] button to switch to the edit screen of another INST.

From the INST edit screen, you can also access the variation screen

* You can change the order of the INST1–3 blocks and the NORMAL block.

* The MST (MASTER) block cannot be moved.

1. Press the [EFFECT] button. The effect chain is shown.
2. Use the [6] knob to select the block that you want to move.
3. While pressing the [6] knob, turn it left or right. The selected block moves left or right.

You can use the PAGE [<] [>] buttons to switch between the parameters.

* The footswitch and expression pedal functions must be specified for each patch; however, if you set PREFERENCE to SYSTEM, all patches will use those functions in common.

The method of selecting parameters and editing their value will differ depending on the item.

MEMO
* In order to distinguish between the divided pickup and the conventional pickup installed on your guitar (bass), this manual uses the term "normal pickup" when referring to the conventional pickup of your guitar (bass).

* The sound of the normal pickup directly connected to the GUITAR INPUT jack or the sound of the normal pickup routed through the divided pickup is input to the NORMAL block. You can mix this into the INST1–INST3 blocks.

MEMO
* You can change the order of the INST1–3 blocks and the NORMAL block.
* The MST (MASTER) block cannot be moved.
1. Press the [EFFECT] button. The effect chain is shown.
2. Use the [6] knob to select the block that you want to move.
3. While pressing the [6] knob, turn it left or right. The selected block moves left or right.

MEMO
* In order to distinguish between the divided pickup and the conventional pickup installed on your guitar (bass), this manual uses the term "normal pickup" when referring to the conventional pickup of your guitar (bass).

* The sound of the normal pickup directly connected to the GUITAR INPUT jack or the sound of the normal pickup routed through the divided pickup is input to the NORMAL block. You can mix this into the INST1–INST3 blocks.

MEMO (Duet Sw)
By setting the hexa-VCO's pitch shift to a PITCH setting such as +/-12 (an octave up/down), +/- 7 (a perfect fifth), or +/-5 (a perfect fourth), you can create thick, synthesizer-like sounds.
By setting PITCH FINE to about "+/-5" to slightly skew the pitch shift of the hexa-VCO, you can give the sound greater depth.

CUR NUM is valid when the CONTROL MODE (p. 81) is set to MEMORY

MEMO
If you want to adjust the input sensitivity of WAVE PDL when set to Input , set the INPUT SENS.

MEMO
If you are using the Bulk Dump function to send the same settings to another SY-1000 unit, set both units to the same MODE.

You can't perform a bulk dump between two SY-1000 units whose MODE differs (one SY-1000 operating in GUITAR MODE and another SY-1000 operating in BASS MODE).

FACTORY RESET
Initializes the SY-1000 to its factory-set condition.
MEMO
Only the currently selected mode is initialized. (If you execute Factory Reset while in Guitar mode, the settings of Bass mode are not initialized.)

admin

SY-1000 Bass Mode

Specifying the Pickup Type
Choose the type of pickup that's installed on your guitar (bass).
* If using guitar mode, turn the [5] knob.
* If using bass mode, turn the [4] knob.

GK PU TYPE (BASS MODE)
Explanation
GK-3B Choose this if you're using a GK-3.

GK-2B Choose this if you're using a Roland GK-2B, or if you're using a (commercially available) bass with a built-in Mag divided pickup.

PIEZO
Piezo   = Piezo Pickup (flat response)

PIEZO G = Graph Tech

PIEZO R = RMC

If you're using BASS MODE, For (Distance) a standard Jazz Bass type or Precision Bass type, choose LONG JB/PB (864 mm).

(INST)ANALOG GR
This is the sound of a vintage analog polyphonic bass synthesizer. It provides hexa-distortion, with a hexa-VCO and VCF (variable frequency filter) that generates independent pitch-shiftable sawtooth waves for the six strings, letting you enjoy analog synthesizer sounds that reflect the nuances of your bass performance.

AC BASS 
This provides a variety of acoustic bass sounds

STR PAN LowB
STR PAN 4th,
STR PAN 3rd,
STR PAN 2nd,
STR PAN 1st,
STR PAN HiC

Specifies the left/right pan of each string.
* The pan effect is canceled if a monaural effect is connected after the instrument.

E BASS TYPE
VINT JB This models a Fender Jazz Bass from the sixties.
JB This models a Fender Jazz Bass from the late seventies or later.
VINT PB This models a Fender Precision Bass from the early sixties.
PB This models a Fender Precision Bass from the late seventies or later.
M-MAN This models a Music Man StingRay Bass from the seventies.
RICK This models a Rickenbacker 4001.
T-BIRD This models a Gibson Thunderbird.
ACTIVE This models a typical bass equipped with active pickups.
VIOLIN This models a Höfner Violin Bass.
FRETLESS This models a fretless bass.

Choose which active input to use when creating patches

GK 13 pin input

or

1/4" Guitar Input

Go to MASTER block at End and Toggle "Change Patch Type"

More Details - Search on "BASS MODE"

admin

All factory patches disable the GK-3 Three way "Guitar/Mix/Synth" switch

Try go to Patch P48-1 and up  - should have normal Guitar working  there

But I agree - Roland/ Boss paradigm since VG-99 is to defeat the functionality of the GK-3 guitar three way "Guitar/Mix/ Synth Switch in all factory presets .
On SY-1000 Must build your own new patches which have the three way "Guitar/Mix/ Synth Switch working correctly

As it is defeated on all SY-1000 Factory Patches  - (which is poor design IMHO , because I want to use that switch at live gigs )
Instead of non-working right out of the box

Instead use SY-1000 MANUAL CONTROL MODE -

And check out the "MANUAL MODE"
On SY-1000 , there is a "MANUAL MODE", which remaps the lower Row of 4 Foot switches as: (L-R)
1 INST 1 ( on/off)
2 INST 2 ( on/off)
3 INST 3 ( on/off)
4 NORMAL GUITAR ( on/off)
This Manual mode becomes a powerful live performance tool.
Many factory patches have a full Normal Guitar signal path with GT-1000 class fx and Amp Cab Modeling, so i can turn off INST1-INST3, and just use the Normal Guitar signal path for my basic sound. Then I can dynamically mid song add in the INST1 , INST2, INST3 blocks - like toggling on/off more effects as needed. Its a powerful tool, and 32 bit Audio I/O shines with depth
( see the SY-1000 Factory GUITAR / BASS Patch Sound List list here )
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26924.msg199226#msg199226
I own all - today the Guitar and Bass modeling on SY-1000 is best
Use a GK-3 Mag divided PU ( unlike Variax) you can use your standard right hand Palm mute playing technique and SY-1000 reacts as a normal Electric guitar with Mag PU's
And for Normal Electric Guitar Sounds I find the SY-1000 patch creation easier to navigate and build a usable patch much faster than GT-1000, with the SY-1000 Amps and Cab block tied in same location allows transparency for the Synth INST Blocks, not encumbered with the GT-1000's paradigm of tying the Cab Sim block into the final Output block ( a major hurdle on GT-1000 IMHO)

admin

Quote from: ChrisVereb, post: 29942758, member: 156151

I haven't downloaded BTS yet and played around.  Can anyone confirm that the available sequencers can only be used to modify the synth settings?  .

It appears the Sequencers are tied to the Dynamic SYNTH  INST TYPE

SY-1000 Control Sources are listed on the right in SOURCE LIST

Quote from: sheepbop on February 14, 2020, 03:15:43 PM
True, but only one of those sequencers can be assigned to pitch:

TARGET
PITCH: OFF, SEQ1, SEQ2
CUTOFF: OFF, SEQ1, SEQ2
LEVEL: OFF, SEQ1, SEQ2

Use BTS and create your 16 step sequences

Look for SEQ1 & on another page is SEQ2

Each INST Block Dynamic contains TWO Separate Sequencers
( Three INST Blocks (INST1, INST2, INST3)  = Six Total Sequencers)

then use MIDI CC# to toggle on/off the specific sequencer you desire

SY-1000 MIDI FX Targets
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27744.0

122 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON PITCH TARGET
123 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON CUTOFF TARGET
124 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON LEVEL TARGET
125 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 ON/OFF
126 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 SYNC
127 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 LOOP LENGTH
128 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 RATE
129 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 1 SHOT
130 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 TURBO
131 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 ON/OFF
132 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 SYNC
133 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 LOOP LENGTH
134 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 RATE
135 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 1 SHOT
136 INST1:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 TURBO

452 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON PITCH TARGET
453 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON CUTOFF TARGET
454 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON LEVEL TARGET
455 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 ON/OFF
456 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 SYNC
457 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 LOOP LENGTH
458 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 RATE
459 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 1 SHOT
460 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 TURBO
461 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 ON/OFF
462 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 SYNC
463 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 LOOP LENGTH
464 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 RATE
465 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 1 SHOT
466 INST2:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 TURBO

782 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON PITCH TARGET
783 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON CUTOFF TARGET
784 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ COMMON LEVEL TARGET
785 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 ON/OFF
786 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 SYNC
787 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 LOOP LENGTH
788 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 RATE
789 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 1 SHOT
790 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ1 TURBO
791 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 ON/OFF
792 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 SYNC
793 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 LOOP LENGTH
794 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 RATE
795 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 1 SHOT
796 INST3:DYNAMIC SYNTH:SEQ2 TURBO

1003 INST:CONTROL INST1 SEQ1 RETRIGGER
1004 INST:CONTROL INST1 SEQ2 RETRIGGER
1005 INST:CONTROL INST1 SEQ1&2 RETRIGGER
1006 INST:CONTROL INST2 SEQ1 RETRIGGER
1007 INST:CONTROL INST2 SEQ2 RETRIGGER
1008 INST:CONTROL INST2 SEQ1&2 RETRIGGER
1009 INST:CONTROL INST3 SEQ1 RETRIGGER
1010 INST:CONTROL INST3 SEQ2 RETRIGGER
1011 INST:CONTROL INST3 SEQ1&2 RETRIGGER
1012 INST:CONTROL INST ALL SEQ RETRIGGER

Quote from: mchad on March 11, 2020, 03:53:32 PM
Has anyone created their own sequences yet? Can that be done in the BTS?

YEs

Sequences can be programmed on the unit or in Boss Tone Studio
When INST block is set to Dynamic Synth  - there re two separate 16 step programmable sequences per INST Block ( 6 total)

read the SY-1000 Reference Manual

and 

SY-1000 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26924.0

admin

See the
SY-1000 Reference Manual

Search on "HOLD"   (

OSC & Dynamic Synth allow for chord holding.
The manual says INST CONTROL provides there are 3 HOLD modes.
Mode 3 you can hold a chord  and it doesn't block new notes being played.

*2 Valid when the INST TYPE is set to DYNAMIC SYNTH or OSC SYNTH.

The Guitar to MIDI & Bass to MIDI  also have HOLD Controls  ( Page 79)

The Guitar to MIDI & Bass to MIDI HOLD Controls  ( Page 91)

admin

Quote from: Steve in Florida on February 04, 2020, 08:45:21 AM
Hi gents,

Been digging in, having fun.

I've spent an hour trying to figure this out.  Apparently I'm not that smart with this device.

Is there a way that the GK volume knob can act like a guitar volume knob on the SY-1000?

On a real vintage Plexi, when you roll back your guitar volume, the amp cleans up dramatically.

But it seems this doesn't really happen here...

Is there a setting where it's more like a guitar volume pot as opposed to a "level" control?

Thanks in advance gents.  Sorry for the stupid questions.

Steve

Remap the GK-VOL control assignment for the patch you are using  -

Here "GK-VOL" its remapped to "ALL:GTR VOL"

admin

QuoteI can change the System setting under Control Mode from Memory to Manual and the red lights on the bottom four foot switches come on to indicate which instruments are active but those switches also still select the patches # 1-4 of the active Bank.
What you describe occurs on FW 1.02

Update to latest FW 1.03 should resolve this

SY-1000 FW Update
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27280.0

SY-1000 FW [ Ver.1.03 ] JAN 2020
Functionality Improvement
Be compatible with BOSS TONE STUDIO for SY-1000.

Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
Part of the name for preset patch and variation has been changed.
CTL FUNCTION on NUM1-4 incorrectly activated at MANUAL MODE.
NORMAL PU GAIN parameter in GK SETTING doesn't work. (BASS MODE only)
Other minor bugs.

admin

QuoteRe: How do I download 'live sets' from Boss Tone Central

You have to connect your SY-1000 to your computer ( with SY-1000 USB Driver installed 1st) , fire up the Boss Tone Studio editor (with a good internet connection),

then open the Boss Tone Central tab at the top and wait for LiveSet downloads to appear, the ones you choose to download will then appear in your Tone Studio Librarian List.

admin

Quote from: thebrushwithin on February 04, 2020, 11:33:53 AM
Has anyone tried to have one of the three GK instruments, set to guitar modeling only, and directly out, without any effects or amp block in between? I'm thinking of sending the sub out to my Kemper front input, just for the modeling, as I currently do with my VG, then having that same model continue thru an amp and effects, within the SY1K, back out the mains, for the two amp sound.

Sure

Also here is the FX SEND placed after INST 3 (set to E-Guitar)  - to feed a Kemper
SUB OUT on Normal Guitar  - to feed a Powered Cab
Main OUT to Feed INST1, INST2 Synths to  PA

The "BAL1,BAL2 ,BAL3"   blocks are mixers  - set them to mute unwanted signals

admin

QuoteWould someone please be so kind to upload demo of acoustic guitar models?
go to 2:10 (minutes) Acoustic 12 string

More Acoustic Modeling and Alt tuning  9:49 thru 10:49 minutes

admin

Quote from: Kevin M on February 05, 2020, 04:29:43 AM
I had forgotten how many pickup profiles I used for the VG-99....having several available like the SY-1000 has is very useful, and key to getting good quality patches throughout

default factory GK String Sensitivity setting is "65" for all strings.

I prefer changing all strings to the range of 25-40 for best touch sensitivity and wider picking dynamics

If going for GR-300 tones , then its  GK String Sensitivity settings at 90-100 for better sustain and higher gain

But for best tracking for OSC SYNTH and Guitar to MIDI with GK-3, try 30-40 range

Build an array of different GK SET settings with different String Sensitivities  for all ten GK SET memory locations and assign GK SET to a knob

Jon Francis Is "SET1" hardwired? I renamed my first system profile to VGuitar1, for example. I suppose I will always see SET1 rather than VGuitar1 in the drop down option. This is amazingly helpful because Sometimes I use three different guitars live and they all have different pickup systems. I just want to make sure I'm not comparing apples to hedgehogs.

believe you will need a post it note to keep track of which SET1-SET10 is which

admin

QuoteHow do we download Boss SY-1000 Artist Patches at Boss Tone Central?

Need a genuine SY-1000 connection to Boss Tone Studio for SY-1000 to download Boss Tone Central SY-1000 Liveset Patches

Quote from: jongrant on March 11, 2020, 08:59:16 PM
I have 2 old Fernandes with sustainers (strat copy and Native Elite) with gk-2a pickups.
I also have one of the old Yamaha gk pickups which used to be on an old Washburn relic. I would expect it to behave like the gk-2a.

All above use the GK type = GK-2A ,and  start with all GK String Sensitivities  = "25"
regardless of SY-1000 VU meter readings

QuoteI have a Godin XTSA KOA(RMC Piezo)

Thats a newer Model  - start with all settings here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=28085.msg204639#msg204639

Quoteand 2 Godin Multiacs (one nylon and one steel string). I don't expect the piezos to be great, because of crosstalk.

Crosstalk is relatively low on all RMC Piezo systems

Big tip
(Listen to me now and believe me later;)

Anyone using a Godin Nylon String MultiAC Guitar with SY-1000 WILL experience very different tones, results, and outcomes compared to users with a Solidbody Steel string Guitar equipped with a Roland GK-3 will deliver a significantly different experience for the DSP Modeled Guitar Tones

QuoteI had a gk-3 on my Parker Fly, but took it off before the SY-1000 arrived.

Find a guitar and mount the GK-3 to it per the recommended physical installation measurements
  - as that should deliver the best capable results with SY-1000

QuoteMy Moog guitar also has gk, but it's the infamous graphtek, and has more crosstalk and self-noise than the Godin piezo.

I agree - that Moog E3 guitar with Graph-Tech Piezo is going to be battle to tame the noise and random triggered notes when used with SY-1000
QuoteMy Warr guitar has gk as well, but I haven't tried it with the SY-1000 yet. I may need a strong pint before that experiment.

Agreed!

admin

QuoteThe editor needs an amp on/off switch in each instrument section.

Within each INST Block, when set to E Guitar,E Bass, Acoustic
there independent On/OFF controls for the  AMP Sim or SPEAKER Sim

You have these options

AMP Sim ON  / Speaker SIM ON
AMP Sim ON  / Speaker SIM OFF
AMP Sim OFF  / Speaker SIM ON
AMP Sim OFF  / Speaker SIM OFF