Boss SY-1000 - Video

Started by admin, December 05, 2019, 12:41:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on February 02, 2020, 12:19:19 PM

The sound from the SY-300 has a nasty distortion which makes me want to turn homicidal manic after using it for a while,
thus it is now going up for sale, and SY-1000 incoming.
you may not want to mention that in your ad. ;D

jassy

Quote from: gumtown on February 02, 2020, 12:19:19 PM
The SY-1000 waveforms (from the demos) sound much more pure compared to the SY-300.
The sound from the SY-300 has a nasty distortion which makes me want to turn homicidal manic after using it for a while,
thus it is now going up for sale, and SY-1000 incoming.
I agree very much with your sensations about the sy300, so please share your thoughts about that when you get your sy1000, because I think you will get yours sooner than me.
In Europe it seems delayed everywhere but maybe I will get one in my trip to USA next month.

mchad

Quote from: lumena on February 02, 2020, 09:02:31 AM

finally something more concise.

Great video. A good introduction for potential users.

Maudibe

God the Nintendo chiptune skank on the earlier demos... and they where asked to program presets for this unit? My heart bleeds. Honestly, as someone who has fair experience, I reckon the SY-1000 is going to be stellar, and order is placed..

But my oh my, the two dudes in the earlier video must have turned any wannabe VG guitar player off for life. What are they thinking? The sounds are abysmal, the playing crap. Just give one or these to Chords of Orion for a couple of weeks, let him demo it, and he will treble the sales.

Plink plonk for a thousand quid? Not likely. We can make better sounds than that. Hell, I would of been happier if they had just played some nice big rich drones and a few guitars with alternate tunings... but no....

Boss needs to sack off those two guys and employ someone who feels a connection with the instrument and possibilities.  ::)

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Maudibe on February 03, 2020, 05:31:05 PM
God the Nintendo chiptune skank on the earlier demos... and they where asked to program presets for this unit? My heart bleeds. Honestly, as someone who has fair experience, I reckon the SY-1000 is going to be stellar, and order is placed..

But my oh my, the two dudes in the earlier video must have turned any wannabe VG guitar player off for life. What are they thinking? The sounds are abysmal, the playing crap. Just give one or these to Chords of Orion for a couple of weeks, let him demo it, and he will treble the sales.

Plink plonk for a thousand quid? Not likely. We can make better sounds than that. Hell, I would of been happier if they had just played some nice big rich drones and a few guitars with alternate tunings... but no....

Boss needs to sack off those two guys and employ someone who feels a connection with the instrument and possibilities.  ::)

Chords of Orion is ok but I disagree thinking he'd make anything better out of it. Just take a look at his BOSS SY-300 videos, not really good either.

There's a handful of people I would rather see demo these than him or those 2 people in that video.

Professional wise I'd give it to post rock musicians and bands like mogwai, god is an astronaut, pelican, if trees could talk etc... and to people like robert fripp, adrian belew, brian eno etc... Give Noveller / Sarah Lipstate one!

If you follow IG and good youtube gear stuff or whatever than I suggest people like anne sulikowski, demos in the dark, lofi astronaut etc.. or anyone that just knows about synthesis stuff!!

Maudibe

OK Brockstar - very much agree .... but you get my drift? LOL.

anyone but those guys in the earlier video... I mean, did they just randomly program their shiz with a human to chimp interface, without listening to what the instrument wanted to say? Like, having heard the last video now and the SY-1000's capabilities; awestruck. So these 'programmers' ignored all of the tones, effects and deep modelling and opted for chip tunes?

Ah, perhaps I am getting old  ;D

Smash

Quote from: admin on February 02, 2020, 09:50:31 AM
This means an excellent Bonedo ( Germany) SY-1000 Review is in progress
Soon here
https://www.bonedo.de/gitarre/tests.html

That's the demo I was waiting for and the one that makes me think I shouldn't have cancelled pre order. Selected presents that show the unit off.

Sounds very pristine. Acoustic models obviously improved Triple 0 very nice.

Just the question  mark over guitar to midi to resolve for me now...

Maudibe

Yes, have to say the acoustics sounded stellar :)

I placed my order last night - quoted around 4 to 5 weeks until in stock (Thomann). So meantime it is time to play with the editor and get familiar with all the possibilities. Something that will probably be quite beneficial rather than just ripping into the unit itself.

Regarding the long lead time... I'm not sure where this is manufactured? If China then could be some delays, although I expect the first batch will already be in a container and in transit. I'm sure with the many (possibly thousands) of units this will be coming sea freight and not air freight. If its air freight we could have a problem....

JiveTurkey

FWIW; one of the duo in the above video is Juan Aldrette. An absolute BEAST of a bass player. And in a coma, last I knew  :( Much mojo sent that way.

admin

Quote from:  philjynx on February 04, 2020, 06:45:29 AM
It's on the back of the unit. Like most Roland Boss for a long time, Malaysia.

admin

Jon Francis
SY-1000 Factory Pan flute patch, no editing. .

jassy

Beautiful!

mchad

Fantastic stuff. I love that Middle Eastern vibe. I will use that patch and work it into a piece.

Maudibe

OMG, the Pan Flute Demo is amazing. Love the vibe, the technique and the sound. Class.

If I can get anywhere near this (and the level of playing skill!) I will be a happy bunny.

8)

BROCKSTAR

Someone on instagram.

pasha811

Quote from: admin on January 26, 2020, 02:35:02 PM
^ Sadly its Mono. and poor Youtube MP4 compression looses bulk of the 32 bit details the SY-1000 is capable of.

Still not a good demo IMHO

I am with you admin!
My dream is a unit capable of pads (I do not expect GR55 tones) or should I say polyphonic synths sound because I am not that good with keyboards. Unfortunately most demos show lead mono sounds. However it's always good to 'feel' the timbre of the unit. Still waiting for a unit to test in one of the shops around me.

Cheers
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Nobulusprime

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on February 08, 2020, 08:12:55 PM
Someone on instagram.

Pretty good considering that just being fed from the Les Paul pups.

jassy

Quote from: Nobulusprime on February 09, 2020, 02:27:06 AM
Pretty good considering that just being fed from the Les Paul pups.
If driving only with the guitar signal (no gk) the chords not sound that bad, seems like an improvement in that area compared to the sy300.

admin

2pods

Another nail in the coffin for the SY1000.

Are they trying to put people off it ???

Really bad playing, and the demo was worse

IMHO you understand....
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

aliensporebomb

That's some guys video in Japan and not a particularly good one.  That's not an official Boss/Roland video from what I can see.

Regarding celebrity users of the SY-1000 I spoke with Adrian Belew last week and it sounds like he will be getting his shortly.
He's used guitar synths for years so he will be a good "test subject".
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 10, 2020, 08:56:39 AM
That's some guys video in Japan and not a particularly good one.  That's not an official Boss/Roland video from what I can see.

Regarding celebrity users of the SY-1000 I spoke with Adrian Belew last week and it sounds like he will be getting his shortly.

Omg really? That is awesome. I hope he does some videos with it!

2pods

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 10, 2020, 08:56:39 AM

That will be good. I've always liked me some Belew.

Obviously I don't know what the Japanese guy was saying, but it just goes to show. Anything can be made to sound bad.
Personally, and I'm old, I wouldn't be putting any videos up if that was the standard of my playing. He sounds like me trying to play the keyboard  ;D
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

Maudibe

Bless him. I guess, yes, it was very, very ropey, but we got to hear a few sounds, and badly played it still tracked.

I'm not really one for hearing someone play intricate twiddles, shreds or blow me away with their guitar playing - I'm more interested to hear someone make confident and solid noises from the beast, using picking, chords and reasonable lead lines.

It like "reviewers, please shed your lizard ego skin now!"

We all see this all the time when a piece of gear is demo'd: some guitar god comes in and makes the thing (whatever it is) sound amazing. Then you get it and it's like.. what the freck, how did they do that :)

So yea, solid, straight forward  and down to earth examples for me. But bless the Japanese kid... he was not ready for this SY-1000 'demo' LOL

mos6507

Shredding helps show whether it can track but beyond a certain speed all you're hearing is pick attack and single notes.  To highlight the polyphonic nature of this and to actually hear the tone you have to play some slow chords (and complex ones, not just 2 or 3 string power-chords).

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP