SY-300. Output level knob - tuner buttons - bypass

Started by oxonjeff, November 29, 2019, 12:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxonjeff

Hi folks
Just received mine, (2nd hand ) No problem scrolling through sounds, either User or Preset using the select knob or Ctrl2 and Ctrl3

But the output level knob on the top left does nothing. No matter whether i have the on/off button on the top switched on or off. Also, trying to initiate the tuner, by pressing Ctrl 1+ Ctrl 2 simultaneously, does not work. 

Also, when switching off via the top button, to bypass the pedal and just have the bass , i get nothing. Like it was muting the output

As this is a complicated pedal compared to my previous setup, i'm quite prepared to admit there is something i need to setup in the pedal.

So far i have set output to amp, selected bass as the instrument. So i run bass > SY300 > amp.

Is there anything else i need to do?
Thanks

Brent Flash

oxonjeff

oxonjeff

OK,  so i did a factory reset, and the tuner came back, and so did the output level knob, so i'm guessing previous owner fiddled with it to cause the problems.  Thats 2 problems solved

So now, i just need to know how i get my bass sound going to my amp with the  unit switched off, like a regular FX pedal.  Or maybe the SY-300 doesnt have a bypass like a regular FX pedal ?

If so, does that mean i have to find ( or build ) a patch that just has EQ so i can have a regular bass tone ?  Kind of defeats the object of running the pedal into my Genz Benz head

ElliotG

Review the users manual and the parameter guide. The parameter guide is a critical document. There are a number of modes for the bypass switch.

The documents are available on the Boss site at the SY300 product page under support.

oxonjeff

Yes,  i think thats next, though i already downloaded the manual,  which is how i've managed to get this far, but i need to dive into it

oxonjeff

By sheer luck ( and some reading )  i've got everything sorted.  My bypassed bass tone from the Genz Benz sounds as good as ever,  and i've tweaked a few things.

Being greedy now, so i'm after an auto wah, but have found nothing, so still have to keep the Zoom B3 ( i was hoping to retire that box )

And there's one patch i have set up for my Richie Havens/ Groove Armada track  ( back to my roots  ) that i want more sustain on, as the synth is dying too quickly.

Any ideas how to set up an auto wah and to extend sustain on a patch ?

chrish

To extend sustain, try using the compresser that is located when you click on the guitar input icon. Has to be set to patch to pull the compressor up.

oxonjeff

oxonjeff

Well that worked nicely, cheers,  i didnt delve into the guitar and set to patch  as there was already a Comp. after the OSC's , but irrelevant i guess.

All i really need now, to dispense with the Zoom B3 altogether, is to find an Auto Wah / Envelope filter that resembles a pedal EV FX, like say the MXR Bass Envelope Filter M82, or  EBS Bass IQ, etc..

I would imagine there's one in there somewhere, buried in a patch of other stuff, but it's not obvious ( to me ) where it would be in the factory or user presets

ElliotG

Quote from: oxonjeff on December 01, 2019, 07:15:55 AM
Well that worked nicely, cheers,  i didnt delve into the guitar and set to patch  as there was already a Comp. after the OSC's , but irrelevant i guess.

All i really need now, to dispense with the Zoom B3 altogether, is to find an Auto Wah / Envelope filter that resembles a pedal EV FX, like say the MXR Bass Envelope Filter M82, or  EBS Bass IQ, etc..

I would imagine there's one in there somewhere, buried in a patch of other stuff, but it's not obvious ( to me ) where it would be in the factory or user presets
Check out the T.Wah (touch wah) effect 

oxonjeff

Hopefully thats an effect that doesnt need an expression pedal , but i will have a look for it, thanks

JiveTurkey

Glad to hear you are getting it sorted. Don't be too harsh on the former user. The 300 has some real weird hurdles to get around to make it work in whatever sort of rig you are currently on. It is very capable but also has some very puzzling feature implementations in a lot of ways.