Headrush Gigboard vs an older Boss GT-100

Started by littlebadboy, October 28, 2019, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebadboy

I've been an mfx guy for most of my life because of its practicality. I also use a Headrush FRFR 108. My current rig is a Boss GT-100 with a Mission Engineering Volume Pedal, Digitech Drop, and a dedicated looper. Nothing wrong with it, I love it, I just think I might be outdated. I record mostly but play out once in a while.

What are your experiences with it? Is it worth to update my rig? Would the Gigboard be a upgrade in comparison to the Boss GT-100?

Thanks!

littlebadboy

A Youtube demo said that the Gigboard may lack things for metal. Is it so?

I "accidentally" ordered one already, let's see.

Kevin M

Might be good to look at the amps they model to see if those fit the metal genre:

https://www.headrushfx.com/products/gigboard#panel2

There are amp/cab lists on that page

KookyMonsta

Heres the thing with Headrush. The stock presets imo suck. Implement the Impulse responses the make it sound amazing

SK

I had the Gigboard before I switched to Ampero and I can say that to my ears, the tone was quite "artificial", nothing to do with the feel of a "real" amp. Very comparable to older PC-based plug-ins like say Podfarm or Revalver. Especially bad regarding pinch harmonics (I play really heavy music with lots of leads Dimebag-style, so that matters a lot). Also the gain reserves were quite low and the FX were rather meh. The best thing about it was the IR's and the ease of use. You can plug it in via USB and copy/paste loads of impulses directly, create subfolders for sorting etc. In the end I could get a couple of usable tones out of it, but it was not really satisfactory.

So the shorter answer - *everything* in the boss is several notches above the Headrush except for the rather unrealistic speaker sims. Also it's way less prone to noise from dirty power lines.

If you are after a smaller/simpler unit, I can recommend the Hotone Ampero, the amps and speaker sims kick the beejebus out of the Headrush. Really, really close to real amp tone, both in high-gain and crunchy tones at the verge of breakup. Loves harmonics too, which is very important to me and was the main reason why I returned the Gigboard. The amp sounds are almost as good as the Axe-Fx in my opinion, which is stunning for a unit in this price bracket.

Another viable alternative are similar devices by Mooer, also quite realistic amp/cab sounds but a different concept - no touchscreen and you can't change the order of the effects like you can on Ampero and Headrush.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion, whatever it's worth...

piriolirio

I'm a big Roland/Boss fan. I had a GT-100. I bought the Gigboard. I sold the GT-100. Fullstop.  ;)