Katana MK2 - BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA MK2

Started by admin, October 09, 2019, 04:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

QuoteThe *.tsl files from "Tone Studio for Katana MK2" are of a different format now too,

FWIW, a basic review appears unlike prior BTS versions which relied on using "Adobe AIR" as the foundation,

Boss Tone Studio for Katana MK2 is using JQuery UI JavaScript Library
https://api.jqueryui.com/
QuotejQuery UI is a curated set of user interface interactions, effects, widgets, and themes built on top of the jQuery JavaScript Library. Whether you're building highly interactive web applications or you just need to add a date picker to a form control, jQuery UI is the perfect choice.
https://jqueryui.com/

and

https://github.com/jquery/sizzle/wiki
QuoteSizzle.js is a JavaScript library that implements a "CSS selector engine designed to be easily dropped in to a host library.

MarkFromHawaii

I just picked up a Katana MkII 100 yesterday. Fantastic amp! I like just about everything about it with the exception of choices of factory FX settings. I'll probably download Tone Studio today but am wondering if I can just replace the effects, for example rotary speaker for tremolo. From what I've read maybe not; the other tweak-able effects are written to the channel patches. Can anyone please confirm? Thanks.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

admin

Quote from: MarkFromHawaii on January 17, 2020, 08:29:40 AM
I just picked up a Katana MkII 100 yesterday. Fantastic amp! I like just about everything about it with the exception of choices of factory FX settings. I'll probably download Tone Studio today but am wondering if I can just replace the effects, for example rotary speaker for tremolo. From what I've read maybe not; the other tweak-able effects are written to the channel patches. Can anyone please confirm? Thanks.

Yes

Use BTS to edit and save 8 user patches

MarkFromHawaii

MarkFromHawaii

Well... I had an "interesting" experience getting Tone Studio up and running and unless I'm missing something did not get the expected results.

I was able to download and start Tone Studio but a pop-up appeared saying that I needed to update the amp driver. I followed the instructions in the driver upload page but had to try it a couple times because of the confusing reference to the "BOSS_KTNMK2 icon". So, if anyone tries this be advised that an icon does not appear in Windows 10 (at least my computer didn't).

As to the unexpected results, I did not see all the effects listed in the Using BOSS TONE STUDIO for KATANA Mk II user guide under the pulldown menus in the app. Not a huge deal breaker but I really wanted to check out the Uni-V and Rotary speaker sounds. What gets me is that Boss chose to have the Humanizer (strange vocal sound) as one of the selections. Maybe I'm missing something or need to dig deeper. Update: I found them!  Haha!

admin

https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-50_mk2/updates_drivers/c0c30ce4-a7ac-4405-ae96-9d4f8606c8a6/

BOSS TONE STUDIO  for KATANA MK2
VERSION HISTORY
[ Ver.1.0.2 ] JAN 2020
Compatible with the KATANA-Artist Mk II.
Change the specification
Screen resolution was changed to "WXGA ( 1280 x 768 ) or higher."

kgm

Yeah, the out of box setup with Tone Studio was a little goofy - between drivers and icons, putting stuff in the right directory...and I'm an IT guy.
Love Roland's products but they always fall down on the user interface / setup side vs Blackstar or Line 6 IMHO.  They're as simple as plug & play gets!
Luckily many of us have decades of experience with our GT's (3 through 10 in my case) so we've learned how to speak 'Roland'...

I was able to connect my roland FC-200 midi floorboard to my new Mk2 100 Head, and it seems to work pretty well.  Saved me $149 Cdn on buying a GAFC which really wasn't even designed for this amp. Expression pedal defaults to Volume but kicks in Wah on those patches - so that worked pretty good.   ;)

benson1963

hi , read all of this with great interest as i too seem to be having problems , just bought a Katana Artist MkII and was excited to try and get access to all the available liveset,s and patches , didn,t have any real problems getting Tone Studio for KATANA MkII up and running and my amp connected via usb first time , my problem lies with TONE CENTRAL as it only shows the 6 LIVESET,S , how the hell do you access all the other patches etc. , hopefully someone will read this and enlighten me as i,m not best pleased , it,s probably something stupid but i don,t see any drop down menu to allow access , i,ve successfully used other sites to download new patches etc. but i really wanted to use BOSS,s own sites and software , help please .

regards - Tommy

admin

Quote from: benson1963 on June 04, 2020, 08:14:18 AM
hi , read all of this with great interest as i too seem to be having problems , just bought a Katana Artist MkII and was excited to try and get access to all the available liveset,s and patches , didn,t have any real problems getting Tone Studio for KATANA MkII up and running and my amp connected via usb first time , my problem lies with TONE CENTRAL as it only shows the 6 LIVESET,S , how the hell do you access all the other patches etc. , hopefully someone will read this and enlighten me as i,m not best pleased , it,s probably something stupid but i don,t see any drop down menu to allow access , i,ve successfully used other sites to download new patches etc. but i really wanted to use BOSS,s own sites and software , help please .

regards - Tommy

Roland  / Boss is 10 years behind the curve - they never allow user to user patch sharing at "Boss Tone Central"   - which is merely a one way download area for Patches created by exalted bonafide Boss Approved artists only -

And that means neither you, nor I or any other customer who purchased the product  can upload and share patches there.

= they do not want to encourage a strong user community of user to user patch sharing for ANY of their products

explains why VGuitarforums exists -  to fill the void  ') 

Gumtown has created his third party Katana MKII FX Floorboard app and at this hour I understand it allows importing prior Katana patches

But its still in "beta"
KATANAFxFloorBoard for MKii
For pre-release trialing
The software in this section is pre-release Beta testing staging.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/Katana%20FxFloorboard%20for%20MK2%20Desktop/