KATANA MK2 - Do these sneaky amp livesets work?

Started by cacophony1, October 08, 2019, 09:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cacophony1

Does somebody with a MK2 want to test if these livesets allow sneaky amps on the MK2? I got these from a user who claimed they produced sound but he didn't have time to test further. I'd like to ensure they work before upgrading to the Mk2:

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=Katana&ID=11426

https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?mode=show&unit=Katana&ID=11427

gumtown

Strange how stuff circulates around, I made those Sneaky Amp packages and sent them to someone entirely different from the person who uploaded them to 'guitarpatches'.

If you are wondering about the names of the patch sets, SneakyAmpsMKii115 is for the MKi Sneaky amps 1 to 15,
and SneakyAmpsMKii1630 is for amp models 16 to 30.

The MKii also has another 2 amp models not in those sets, making a total of 32 amp models in the MKii Katana,
but the new Tone Studio patch sets can now only hold a maximum of 15 patches.

I made those sets using the Sneaky Amps from Mki and converted the files to MKii, for the person I sent them to, for testing if the Sneaky Amps worked in the MKii.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

cacophony1

Quote from: gumtown on October 08, 2019, 09:48:29 PM
Strange how stuff circulates around, I made those Sneaky Amp packages and sent them to someone entirely different from the person who uploaded them to 'guitarpatches'.

If you are wondering about the names of the patch sets, SneakyAmpsMKii115 is for the MKi Sneaky amps 1 to 15,
and SneakyAmpsMKii1630 is for amp models 16 to 30.

The MKii also has another 2 amp models not in those sets, making a total of 32 amp models in the MKii Katana,
but the new Tone Studio patch sets can now only hold a maximum of 15 patches.

I made those sets using the Sneaky Amps from Mki and converted the files to MKii, for the person I sent them to, for testing if the Sneaky Amps worked in the MKii.

Yeah, I probably got them from the user you sent them to (JB). He hasn't taken the time to test so I've been trying to find others who can. I was the one who uploaded them to guitarpatches. Thanks for taking the time to create them!

So the conversion to mk2 wasn't just a matter of breaking it into two different livesets due to the limit of 15? If so, that's good news because it explains why other attemps to get the sneaky amps working haven't been successful (https://www.reddit.com/r/BossKatana/comments/dcvk3i/returned_my_version_1_and_got_an_mkii/f2bsxim?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x)
edit: looking at the contents of the .tsl files they look quite different from the mk1 files, so it looks like you had to change quite a bit! It looks like Mk2 uses a far more efficient format.

I also posted on reddit btw:
from r/BossKatana

I'm really hoping somebody can confirm soon because I'm running out of time to do the MK1 to MK2 exchange at Guitar Center  :)

Alathea_Squared

Are the MKII .tsl for Sneaky all supposed to load at Noon, with all effects turned off by default?
"'Cause no matter where you go, there you are."

admin

Quote from: Alathea_Squared on February 10, 2020, 03:08:21 AM
Are the MKII .tsl for Sneaky all supposed to load at Noon, with all effects turned off by default?
Yes

Magic Russ

Most of these work for me.  However, the Bogner and Orange models just sort of sputter out when I try to load them.

gumtown

Quote from: Magic Russ on March 17, 2020, 09:58:43 PM
Most of these work for me.  However, the Bogner and Orange models just sort of sputter out when I try to load them.

The Orange and Bogner amps were removed after a previous firmware update (from MK1 FW2 to FW3 i think),
If you are using a MK2 Katana those two amps do not exist in there either.
If those amps exist in the "Sneaky Amps" bundle, then you probably have the file for the MK1 Katana,
as the MK2  *.tsl patch file system only supports patch bundles up to a count of 15 patches in one file, the MK2 Sneaky Amps is bundled in two files.
Sneaky amps 1~15 and Sneaky Amps 16~30
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Magic Russ

I am using a MK II so that explains it.  Thanks.

petrov

Quote from: gumtown on March 17, 2020, 10:09:33 PM
The Orange and Bogner amps were removed after a previous firmware update (from MK1 FW2 to FW3 i think),
If you are using a MK2 Katana those two amps do not exist in there either.
If those amps exist in the "Sneaky Amps" bundle, then you probably have the file for the MK1 Katana,
as the MK2  *.tsl patch file system only supports patch bundles up to a count of 15 patches in one file, the MK2 Sneaky Amps is bundled in two files.
Sneaky amps 1~15 and Sneaky Amps 16~30
@gumtown
Given that the guitarpatches.com .tsl files, or more precisely SneakyAmpsMKii_1630.tsl contains BGNR UB and ORNG RB which don't work on MK2 (tested on my 100 MK2) is it fair to say that guitarpatches.com .tsl files are MK1 and not MK2?
To avoid further confusion are you able to post the MK2 converted .tsl files in this forum trial, or any other Katana MK2 for that matter, so we know we are using the right ones?
To conclude, based on what I read so far, to cover of all 32 amps one would expect 3 .tsl files:
- SneakyAmpsMKii_115.tsl
- SneakyAmpsMKii_1630.tsl
- SneakyAmpsMKii_3132.tsl - this would only have 2 presets
I am hopinng this is not too much to ask and thanks for your contribution so far.

gumtown

If you use the Katana Fxfloorboard editor, you don't need the Sneaky Amps files, as all the Sneaky amps are directly selectable from the Amp type selection list.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/

petrov

Thanks for the prompt reply and suggestion to use the Fx FloorBoard.
As much as I like the software, I'd prefer not to get into it until it gets polished - this is simply because I don't have too much spare time for tinkering and my personal experience with MK1 version - if you know what I mean.
No disrespect, I think you are doing a brilliant job and if at any time in a future the MK2 Fx FloorBoard becomes a "commercial worthy product" in terms of robustness I'd be more than happy to give it a go and if satisfied pay for it or donate if that's the model you are pursuing.
Until then if you are in a position to share the MK2 .tsl files that would be highly appreciated ... if not ... it's all good - life goes on ;-)
Take care...

admin

Fwiw - we lost the access to the BGNR UB and ORNG RB amps on Katana MK1 after firmware 3.0 was released

And neither Amp above was ever available on Katana MK2

(And no Katana  MK1 firmware versions can be installed on Katana MK2

Katana MK1 firmware history

-----
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27063.msg197836#msg197836

Need to get a proper overview of the different versions of the Katana MK1 Firmware, so the VC-mini will support everything properly. Here is my overview this far. Correct me if I'm wrong

FW2:
Added:
Effects: SDE3000, PHAS 90E and Flanger 117e
More memory slots
Channel and global EQ
Delay2 block
Movable effects loop
Cabinet resonance and air feel

Lost:
* Nothing

FW3:
Added:
* Effects WAH95e and DC30
* Graphic equalizer
* Assigns

Lost:
* Sneaky amp type: Bogner Uber and Orange

FW4:
Added:
* Effect: Heavy octave
* Pedal block for Wah, Pitch and Wah 95E

Lost:
* Sneaky effects: Distortion, Tone mod, Defret, Sitarsim, Sound hold, Pan, Sub delay, Rotary2, Tera echo and Overtone

I am really surprised we lose so much functionality in FW4! The new effects don't do much for me...

gumtown

Attached are the original "Sneaky Amps" files for mk2.

I would like to know a bit more on this
As much as I like the software, I'd prefer not to get into it until it gets polished - this is simply because I don't have too much spare time for tinkering and my personal experience with MK1 version - if you know what I mean.
I am interested in user feedback, even though I do ask for users feedback, I don't actually get much.
The Katana version of the software has been developed continuously over the last 4 years, and is very stable.
I have had only a few comments where those users prefer it over Tone Studio for the extra features that BTS does not have,
not sure if it gets much discussion on other Forums or groups, but none of that gets back to me (if there is).
If anyone has any issues or requests, I am always at hand to 'make it better'.

gumtown

There are also the "Custom Amps" which no one seems to have discussed, there is another sub-set of 7 custom amps under the Sneaky Amps "Custom" title.
These have additional controls for amp characters.

sixeight

The sneaky amp and effect list of the Katana MK2 is the same as Katana Mk1 version 4.
So it looks like the version 4  firmware, where 10 sneaky effects were scrapped, was a preparation for the MK2.

petrov

Quote from: gumtown on November 08, 2020, 11:26:08 AM
Attached are the original "Sneaky Amps" files for mk2.

I would like to know a bit more on thisI am interested in user feedback, even though I do ask for users feedback, I don't actually get much.
The Katana version of the software has been developed continuously over the last 4 years, and is very stable.
I have had only a few comments where those users prefer it over Tone Studio for the extra features that BTS does not have,
not sure if it gets much discussion on other Forums or groups, but none of that gets back to me (if there is).
If anyone has any issues or requests, I am always at hand to 'make it better'.
Thanks gumtown, very much appreciated.
The files you posted are exactly the same as the ones posted earlier in this forum.
Btw I may give the mk2 floorboard a go  ;)