Fishman connect internal

Started by gearhound22, September 22, 2019, 09:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearhound22

Hi all,

Considering making an internal connect setup for my guitar.
Connect takes up next to no room with the  and I doubt I'd use the up/down buttons (vol would use with expression pedal)

I flipped the pickup because the horrible thing got in the way of my hand and will swap the pins over when I get a chance....will flip the cable into a better spot too once the silastic dries haha!

Thing is where to source a decent USB jack for the guitar?????
I'd switch to larger size USB that way can use an armored cable too not the flimsy one included.

togna bologna

Great idea with the RJ45 converter!  You could have a proper length cable if you did that.  Ethernet > USB.

gearhound22

Quote from: togna bologna on September 23, 2019, 12:27:53 PM
Great idea with the RJ45 converter!  You could have a proper length cable if you did that.  Ethernet > USB.

Is there a length limit on using USB?

Thanks for the info...I have some of those neutrik connectors but not sure how well they would go on a curved surface

I ran the cable around...hopefully not to tight of a bending radius but looks much nicer  ;D

mczero

Nice job. What a beautiful quilt top that guitar has. Is it a Les Paul?
I agree about flipping the pickup. I think both the FTP and the GK extend on the upper side so as not to run into the Volume knob on a Strat. Would like more shots and info as to how you mounted the wart in the cavity and drilled under the bridge etc. I've been trying to do something similar with an FTP. Good luck with the mod.

gearhound22

Quote from: mczero on September 23, 2019, 11:39:15 PM
Nice job. What a beautiful quilt top that guitar has. Is it a Les Paul?
I agree about flipping the pickup. I think both the FTP and the GK extend on the upper side so as not to run into the Volume knob on a Strat. Would like more shots and info as to how you mounted the wart in the cavity and drilled under the bridge etc. I've been trying to do something similar with an FTP. Good luck with the mod.

Hi there!

Its actually a Brian Moore, they make such beautiful guitars and finishes!
I didn't have to drill, I followed the piezo route thru the hole...I did have to take out each pin from the JST connector and put them back in (and also flip the 6 strings with the change)

Electronics is just floating until I work out the USB jack etc

What sort of guitar were you using?

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: gearhound22 on September 23, 2019, 02:27:05 PM
Is there a length limit on using USB?

About 16 feet (5m) without an active extender.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

mczero

Quote from: gearhound22 on September 24, 2019, 01:43:39 AM

Hi there!

Its actually a Brian Moore, they make such beautiful guitars and finishes!
I didn't have to drill, I followed the piezo route thru the hole...I did have to take out each pin from the JST connector and put them back in (and also flip the 6 strings with the change)

Electronics is just floating until I work out the USB jack etc
That's a great job so far. I believe in making mods that are 100% reversible at least so far as can be seen. You just need to sneak the USB connector out the back or through the jack connector without doing any permanent damage.

Quote from: gearhound22 on September 24, 2019, 01:43:39 AM
What sort of guitar were you using?
Well I tried to mount the whole FTP sender unit under the pick-guard of my American Strat, but failed. It was just too big. Then I listened to some great advice from Gumbo, who said to get it all working first before disemboweling the FTP to get it in. So I tried to mount it under the pick-guard of my old Epiphone L-5 and again just narrowly missed out by the thickness of the pick-guard itself, so I decided to leave the pick-guard off and mounted the FTP in the same place with gorilla tape. I'm relying on the guitar's epoxy coat surviving when it comes off. I managed to get the pickup to sit on the flange of the GK-3 holder which I had previously mounted on this guitar again held with tape. The cable slipped nicely under the GK-3 pickup once I had shortened it using the adjuster underneath the unit. So this is not ideal or permanent while I get the FTP sorted with the FC-1 and a GR-30. If this all works nicely I will go back to the original plan of creating an FTP Strat using parts from inside the unit. Well that's the plan for now.

gearhound22

I'm thinking of ordering some of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switchcraft-Angled-7-Pin-Din-Plug-270-Degree-15DL7M-Midi-Audio-B-O/172121069801?epid=9017941694&hash=item28133718e9:g:zAsAAOSwAKlazxh1

I'll go FTP pickup to 7pin midi out and then 7pin midi to a wireless box I made earlier with the FTP on it.....I don't like mounting that thing on a guitar especially one with a nice quilt top!

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on October 10, 2019, 04:07:09 PM
I'm thinking of ordering some of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Switchcraft-Angled-7-Pin-Din-Plug-270-Degree-15DL7M-Midi-Audio-B-O/172121069801?epid=9017941694&hash=item28133718e9:g:zAsAAOSwAKlazxh1

I'll go FTP pickup to 7pin midi out and then 7pin midi to a wireless box I made earlier with the FTP on it.....I don't like mounting that thing on a guitar especially one with a nice quilt top!

Not sure where you intend to connect this ( perhaps you are thinking of mounting the FTP PU Only to the guitar - then use a 7 conductor + earth shielded cable to remote mount the actual FTP Connect DSP / Control box? 

Realize there are no  5 pin DIN MIDI connectivity on the Fishman Tripleplay Connect    - instead its employs a USB-2.0  cable output to Mac/PC, or Apple Lightning Cable to iPad

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on October 10, 2019, 04:16:55 PM

Not sure where you intend to connect this ( perhaps you are thinking of mounting the FTP PU Only to the guitar - then use a 7 conductor + earth shielded cable to remote mount the actual FTP Connect DSP / Control box? 

Realize there are no  5 pin DIN MIDI connectivity on the Fishman Tripleplay Connect    - instead its employs a USB-2.0  cable output to Mac/PC, or Apple Lightning Cable to iPad

Hi!
Yes I'll mount the pickup to the guitar as per this picture and wire it to a 7 pin female midi jack (did the drilling tonight!)
Then use that 90 connector to go to my control box I post on another thread (that box will have two 1/4" outs for wireless Boss 20L) so triple wireless unit.

I tried this in the past with the 13pin to FTP and its ok but a little ghosty on the low strings.

I'll post pictures asap.

Not sure what capacity I might use the connect now....I was going to mount a USB jack to the guitar but I can't even get the connect working to the FC-1 .....until the PC app comes out its pointless

frummox

Quote from: mczero on October 04, 2019, 12:55:30 AM
That's a great job so far. I believe in making mods that are 100% reversible at least so far as can be seen. You just need to sneak the USB connector out the back or through the jack connector without doing any permanent damage.
Well I tried to mount the whole FTP sender unit under the pick-guard of my American Strat, but failed. It was just too big. Then I listened to some great advice from Gumbo, who said to get it all working first before disemboweling the FTP to get it in. So I tried to mount it under the pick-guard of my old Epiphone L-5 and again just narrowly missed out by the thickness of the pick-guard itself, so I decided to leave the pick-guard off and mounted the FTP in the same place with gorilla tape. I'm relying on the guitar's epoxy coat surviving when it comes off. I managed to get the pickup to sit on the flange of the GK-3 holder which I had previously mounted on this guitar again held with tape. The cable slipped nicely under the GK-3 pickup once I had shortened it using the adjuster underneath the unit. So this is not ideal or permanent while I get the FTP sorted with the FC-1 and a GR-30. If this all works nicely I will go back to the original plan of creating an FTP Strat using parts from inside the unit. Well that's the plan for now.
.  I was unaware that you could shorten the cable internally. Did you have to open up the unit to do that? How much are you able to shorten it? I would like to shorten the cable by at least half.

Elantric

Quote from: frummox on October 11, 2019, 05:44:40 AM
.  I was unaware that you could shorten the cable internally. Did you have to open up the unit to do that? How much are you able to shorten it? I would like to shorten the cable by at least half.

Need basic electrical soldering skills

INside the FTP Hex PU has same pinout as a Roland GK-3 Hex PU

Need to cut the cable , reinstall new crimp pins and reinsert into the original white 8 pin PU Input connector on the FTP DSP Board

Sources for 1.5mm & 2mm multipin header connectors & Tools
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9094.0

gumbo

FWIW, if you have trouble sourcing the connection crimps, etc., send me a PM...

I have most of these things in stock...in Oz though..   ;)

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

mczero

Quote from: frummox on October 11, 2019, 05:44:40 AM
I'm not quite as adventurous a elantric quite yet, as I said "The cable slipped nicely under the GK-3 pickup once I had shortened it using the adjuster underneath the unit." You can wind the cable around this adjuster and take up a couple of centimetres. Here's what it looks like on the back:

gearhound22

Didn't have the screws so had to borrow some hahaha!

working great so far! Will go to a Custom FTP with cable that sits in a wireless pouch (only tested direct into FTP not to the pack yet but my old one with the 13pin works fine :)  )
Also waiting for the 7 pin 90 degree to come!

gearhound22

admin

togna bologna

That's awesome! 

Its too bad the Tune-o-matic power bridge is chrome...  It would be SOOOO cool to see an internal mod with it.  I wonder if it would work....

https://www.fishman.com/products/series/powerbridge/tune-o-matic-powerbridge-pickup/

gearhound22

Quote from: admin on February 10, 2020, 12:01:17 PM

Came out better when I did it this way  ;D

If I did it again I think I'd take out a little piece of the pickup ring and route it through there