GT-1000 - Pitch Shift Question Please

Started by Bam5150, September 20, 2019, 08:52:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bam5150

I have been trying to use the pitch shift ( de tune) function and I just can't seem to get it like the videos I've watch  I use the 4CM method and it will detune when I turn knob to -1 but it sounds like garbage.  Can anyone give me some tips on this please

Thank you in advance

admin

The GT-1000 PolyDrop tune effect for lowering a guitar from standard E tuning to Eb Tuning has artifacts 

many resort to using a Digitech "The Drop" pedal in their signal chain placed front of the GT-1000

Bam5150

Ok. I appreciate the guidance. I wonder how them guys like Ola and them are doing it in the you tube videos

admin

Quote from: Bam5150 on September 20, 2019, 11:26:48 AM
Ok. I appreciate the guidance. I wonder how them guys like Ola and them are doing it in the you tube videos

Ola gets paid for a good product review,  and (IMHO) his youtube gear review videos seldom correlate to actual real world use

I  find Brett Kingman does much better actual real world gear reviews

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBHoPcJMiFe6CuVY2X7I0YQ

Bam5150

Noted

Thank you much. I'll check that link out.  Very discouraged about de tune function.  If it won't work with in the Boss though

JiveTurkey

Use pedal bend instead. Direct mix at 0. Turn up the volume. That's as good as it will get with the GT, imo.

plexified

I'm guessing your looking for a similar effect that Van Halen used with his Eventide/Soldano days. Or the Mean Streets through F.U.C.K days. Your going to want to blend this effect in to your dry mix. Too much 'wet' on this without a WDW set up and your into a tone that has too much 'effect' and does not add to the 'fattening' of the tone.

Ed had roughly 10 milliseconds of time being used with a minor 'detune' in terms of +/- in cents, or fine tune modulation. To familiarize yourself with this type of effect, I would start with a dry tone you like and focus on 'adding' time to fatten the dry tone.

For instance, Delay> 1 millisecond > 100 % wet mix and add Regeneration to get the feel for the effect, now add one millisecond at a time. You will now hear the core effect of the time portion here.

Now you can go back to the pitch shift and add the detune up or down for the modulation portion and get a further 'feel' for the range of this effect.

Its easier to separate the two before you go all in. The range of 1 - 20 milliseconds is pretty radical with a lot of regeneration or depth. Up through 120 milliseconds and you get into  VH Diver Down tone, like the intro to Little Guitars.

So now you can either use the Pitch shift, or separate the effects and use a more finely tunable Pitch Shift with separate delay and modulation or chorus styles.

I hope I guessed right on the EVH portion ;-)

Bam5150

Thank you all for the great info.  I'm gonna sit down tomorrow and go deep into the rabbit hole with all this pitch shift guidance.  Hopefully I can step on a CTR button and detune the guitar while also refining my sound with pitch shift blending 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Danelectro

I know this is an old thread, but I just made a short clip comparing the GT-1000's PITCH SHIFTER, PEDAL BEND, and the Digitech Drop pedal so I thought I'd post it here for future reference.

In summary:

- Both the PITCH SHIFTER and the PEDAL BEND have a tremolo-like warbling effect.  The warbling is not quite as bad with the PEDAL BEND.

- The warbling is more pronounced with clean tones than distorted tones.  Its most noticeable when a note is sustained.

- The Digitech Drop pedal sounds much better than the GT's internal pitch shifting effects

- If you just need to drop the tuning for a song or two and you're using a distorted tone, then you can probably get by using the Pedal BEND block, but if you need to clean tones, then using a Drop pedal is going to sound much better

I have a Drop pedal connected through a SEND/RETURN loop, so I can activate it using a CTL button or have it active in a dedicated patch.

https://youtu.be/5mMF8qUGGpg