SY-300 - Bill Ruppert SY-300 demos

Started by Bill Ruppert, September 04, 2019, 08:18:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: ElliotG on September 04, 2019, 08:08:01 AM
Many Thanks.   I'm looking forward to tweaking my settings later today!
Good luck the amp sounds are great!
On the Synth side I am getting some great stuff like Strings, horns, keyboards ect.
Something Boss should have done at the release.
Here is an example of a string sound:

mchad

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on September 04, 2019, 08:18:54 AM
Good luck the amp sounds are great!
On the Synth side I am getting some great stuff like Strings, horns, keyboards ect.
Something Boss should have done at the release.
Here is an example of a string sound:

Sounds fantastic Bill. I would buy or donate for patches like this.

CodeSmart

Quote from:  mchad on September 10, 2019, 10:04:45 PM
Sounds fantastic Bill. I would buy or donate for patches like this.
I think most would. My SY is on a shelf because I lack skills to develop the sounds I want. With a very few exceptions the factory patches are useless for me. Stayed with the GR-55 and GP-10. If you have more samples Bill, let us hear em' please. This one makes me think of the intro of Mr Crowley. Really nice.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert

Quote from:  CodeSmart on September 11, 2019, 03:15:47 AM
I think most would. My SY is on a shelf because I lack skills to develop the sounds I want. With a very few exceptions the factory patches are useless for me. Stayed with the GR-55 and GP-10. If you have more samples Bill, let us hear em' please. This one makes me think of the intro of Mr Crowley. Really nice.
Hi Robert here are two classics I am working on.
Channeling my 80's!

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: loopman on September 10, 2019, 03:58:36 AM
Hi Master Bill, this patch is awesome, astounding. Could you help here with the settings used?

Thank you so much
Hi Loopman
The strings are 3 oscillators all using the detuned sawtooth wave.
Chorus and reverb is a must!

whippinpost91850

Don't have a SY300, but this patch is so good

aliensporebomb

Nice string pad demo Bill - I notice in a lot of your demos across a few devices you use phase shifting a lot and I notice that with phase shifting the character of the sound can curiously summon everything from the 1970s type sounds (welcome to the Love Boat with the Arp Synths!) all the way to current. 

It's an odd thing because prior to me getting the into the Roland devices I thought phase shifting was kind of a one trick pony but using it subtly and in the right order can really give the sound a little added "sparkle" and "verve" that adds a certain something you can't get with anything else. 

And if you keep it slow and subtle it almost acts like an EQ with a subtle brightening. 

Just what I need, an SY-300.  I'm still making discoveries on the "Jeep Ten" and the 99er.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from:  aliensporebomb on September 12, 2019, 08:07:26 PM
Nice string pad demo Bill - I notice in a lot of your demos across a few devices you use phase shifting a lot and I notice that with phase shifting the character of the sound can curiously summon everything from the 1970s type sounds (welcome to the Love Boat with the Arp Synths!) all the way to current. 

It's an odd thing because prior to me getting the into the Roland devices I thought phase shifting was kind of a one trick pony but using it subtly and in the right order can really give the sound a little added "sparkle" and "verve" that adds a certain something you can't get with anything else. 

And if you keep it slow and subtle it almost acts like an EQ with a subtle brightening. 

Just what I need, an SY-300.  I'm still making discoveries on the "Jeep Ten" and the 99er.
Hi Todd
No I dont use phase shifting much if ever.
I like it though for some Elka String synth stuff., But I use chorus for the most part.
With a bunch of osc detuned and chorus effects you will get some phase shifting but not a modulated "Small Stone" kind of thing.

Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert

SY-300 French Accordion:

aliensporebomb

Great demos - I love the clav and the sine wave guitar but the french accordion totally nails the atmosphere!  I foresee you holding down a gig at a french restaurant!   Just add beret!

That's exactly what I was thinking when I heard your string pad - Elka Rhapsody.   I guess I'll mess more with chorusing then!

Bill Ruppert

Thanks Todd! I just ordered my beret and an growing back my mustache...just need a stripped shirt!
(The VG-99 does a great accordion as well)

Yes the Elka and Small Stone phaser is a classic sound. That was Jean-Michel Jarre sound.
Just a perfect combo. I did use that on a few EHX demos.

aliensporebomb

I've got a rev1 VG accordion.  I had a couple interests in doing it - one was your cool accordion patch but also I used to play with a bass player who also played accordion and it was just one type of stuff we would play.  We would go from playing sort of heavy metal/jazz fusion to polka and then just plain old rock and roll and then bluegrass.  It's just more fun to play different genres. 

gumtown

Really nice tracks Bill, thanks for sharing !!  :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on September 11, 2019, 04:03:21 PM
Hi Loopman
The strings are 3 oscillators all using the detuned sawtooth wave.
Chorus and reverb is a must!
The Oberheim! Great sounds Bill! Love it!

Bill Ruppert

Smash

Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert

BROCKSTAR

Great sounds on these! My question is will these be available bill or are you just gonna hoard them for yourself haha :P
If you do release them I'd like to play with them!

Also people, don't forget about the blender function. Past few days I have been blending the heck out of my sy-300 and coming up with tons of strings and flutes and whatever else. If don't wanna do the tweaking, let the machine take you on a trip. Bunch of good stuff coming out of it for me and been saving everyone! Or go on the blender page and tweak the OSC's yourself to blend in whatever you want. So many options. Also using a nice EQ pedal after the SY-300 helps a lot especially for patches that are bright and cold. Also I think people forget that different guitars will make the sy-300 sound different too and rolling off volume and tone and using the pickup selectors are good choices on making it sound different to each patch. That is what I love about it.

akahige

Wow those demos a great !!! Do the patches are available somewhere ?

Bill Ruppert

Nice organic sounding bass.
Dog Bass:

akahige

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on February 08, 2020, 07:04:47 PM
Nice organic sounding bass.
Dog Bass:

Hi bill, it looks like you closed your youtube account, i was passing by to listen again to your exemples that i remember were great !!

Is that possible for you to share with us those patches please ?

Thanks !  ;)