FTP - differences fishman connect vs the $400 triple play

Started by blakstone6string, August 19, 2019, 01:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakstone6string

Hi folks.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the fishman triple play $400 unit and the cheaper "connect" version.
So far what I gather is one has an internal battery and the other (connect) requires a power cord to use.
Is the internal hardware the same other than that? Is one better than the other as far as tracking?
I'm using a windows 10 pc and would also like to know if the cheaper "connect" includes the main fishman triple play software program for pc.

Are any of the software packages for the $400 triple play version worth using or are they bloatware?
If so, which ones specifically?
I've read the progression program works but may add extra ghost notes. How bad is it at doing this when playing fast solos?
Does the bundled software require the extra purchase of an audio interface?

Thanks for your time.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group blakstone6string!  :)

blakstone6string

Thank you, kindly  :)

It seems like a good group of guys here from what I've read for the last hour or so.

waxinjaxin

The cable to the TPC is not just a power cord, it carries the signal, too.

So far, I've found the tracking and sensitivity very similar between the wired and wireless versions. I believe the pickup is identical, and I've been able to use the same mount on my Strat for both versions. You can use the iPad software with both versions. I haven't tried whether the MacOS software works with the TPC. I'd say, other than the wired/unwired aspect, the biggest difference is the software. The iPad app is a little more "entry level," but also more intuitive. I will say I haven't used the Mac software in a while, so that may have improved.

My take is that the TPC+iPad app are great for noodling and songwriting, maybe even a one-person show kind of gig. I would think imagine serious performers might lean towards the wireless version. I'm going to reserve judgement until I use the TPC with my Mac and see how it goes.

waxinjaxin

Just a follow-on: the Mac FTP software did not see the TPC.