Use TriplePlay Connect and charge iPad simultaneously?

Started by waxinjaxin, August 16, 2019, 02:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waxinjaxin

Anyone know if there's an adapter that will allow use of the TriplePlay Connect and iPad charging simultaneously? I can confirm that the Belkin adapter below won't work. The app will not detect the TPC.

waxinjaxin

Thanks! Just bought one

Edit: And it works as advertised

Vaultnaemsae

That's weird -- I've used a Belkin Rockstar Adapter (+ USB hub via CCK) to connect various USB hardware devices. One side of the Belkin charges the iOS device via a lightning cable and the other side is where you attach the lightning CCK. With a hub, you can have 1 x audio and multiple MIDI devices connected.

Also, the Apple one posted should work but of course you need to use the non-lightning cable connection for the MIDI device anyway, almost the same as the above-mentioned method. This one also can take a hub.

I don't have a TriplePlay Connect but USB MIDI devices typically follow the same rules of connection.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

waxinjaxin

With the camera adapter, I did have to remove and re-insert it for the app to see the TPC. This prompted me to try the Belkin adapter again, while also removing and re-inserting a couple of times, still with no luck.

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on August 17, 2019, 01:18:31 PM
That's weird -- I've used a Belkin Rockstar Adapter (+ USB hub via CCK) to connect various USB hardware devices. One side of the Belkin charges the iOS device via a lightning cable and the other side is where you attach the lightning CCK. With a hub, you can have 1 x audio and multiple MIDI devices connected.

Also, the Apple one posted should work but of course you need to use the non-lightning cable connection for the MIDI device anyway, almost the same as the above-mentioned method. This one also can take a hub.

I don't have a TriplePlay Connect but USB MIDI devices typically follow the same rules of connection.

Vaultnaemsae

I'm talking about this one. I believe it was also labeled 'Rockstar Adaptor'. I purchased it in early 2017 with a headphone jack-less iPhone 7+.

I had an iRig HD2 that came with a lightning adaptor that wouldn't work on the Belkin lightning port directly so I tried the CCK on the 2nd lightning port w/USB Hub / Standard micro USB cable connector to the iRig and then it worked. It's more or less functionally the same as the official Apple CCK+USB adaptor.

waxinjaxin

Yeah, that's the same one I pictured in the original post. See the screenshot below from Belkin's site. It says no services other than power and audio out provided by those ports. Doesn't provide that info any of the places I looked before buying it. If you got it to work for something else, it sounds like you were lucky.

Vaultnaemsae

I just tested it again and it works 100% fine. I'm really not lucky :)

The iRig and two midi controllers attached on the hub via CCK on one side of the Rockstar are visible/functional in AUM on iOS. And...it's charging.

Any class-compliant MIDI controller should work similarly.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: Vaultnaemsae on August 20, 2019, 02:13:04 PM
I just tested it again and it works 100% fine. I'm really not lucky :)

The iRig and two midi controllers attached on the hub via CCK on one side of the Rockstar are visible/functional in AUM on iOS. And...it's charging.

Any class-compliant MIDI controller should work similarly.

I think what might be going on is, with the Belkin Rockstar, the TriplePlay Connect doesn't work when connected to it directly by the supplied lightning cable, because the authentication process fails, but in the case where it works (pictured above) there is an added Apple Camera Connection Kit adaptor that *can* somehow successfully authenticate through the Rockstar, and the TriplePlay and/or hub is connected by ordinary USB A. I have not yet tried this myself to verify.

admin

Quote from: FishmanSoftware on August 21, 2019, 07:54:49 AM
I think what might be going on is, with the Belkin Rockstar, the TriplePlay Connect doesn't work when connected to it directly by the supplied lightning cable, because the authentication process fails, but in the case where it works (pictured above) there is an added Apple Camera Connection Kit adaptor that *can* somehow successfully authenticate through the Rockstar, and the TriplePlay and/or hub is connected by ordinary USB A. I have not yet tried this myself to verify.

(store the Tripleplay Lightning cable in a safe place) ,

I have most success with the  official Apple Powered Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter, and use the Tripleplay USB cable

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

Ollii

Hello, I was just thinking about buying me a TriplePlayConnect. However, I wonder if and how you can connect the pickup to the iPad so that a) the iPad is charged and b) I can plug in an audio output to the system. The CCK is only equipped with a Lightning and a USB port. What else do I need or do you have another solution?
Has anyone tried Bluetooth? How big is the lag?

Vaultnaemsae

You need a USB hub (possibly powered).

Lightning for charging, USB/Hub for everything else. The necessary info is above in this thread.

FishmanSoftware

Quote from: Ollii on December 06, 2019, 01:42:11 AM
Hello, I was just thinking about buying me a TriplePlayConnect. However, I wonder if and how you can connect the pickup to the iPad so that a) the iPad is charged and b) I can plug in an audio output to the system. The CCK is only equipped with a Lightning and a USB port. What else do I need or do you have another solution?
Has anyone tried Bluetooth? How big is the lag?
If your iPad has a headphone jack, you can use a "3.5mm trs to dual 1/4 ts" cable to connect the audio to your sound system. Bluetooth adds noticeable latency and therefore I would not recommend it for this application.