Universal Audio Live Rack

Started by scratch17, August 12, 2019, 10:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch17

There is a new Universal Audio branded version of what used to be called Soundcraft Realtime Rack. The hardware is essentially the same, and these units can be mixed and matched. The Live Rack application has been updated.

https://www.soundcraft.com/en/products/realtime-rack
https://3e7777c294b9bcaa5486-bc95634e606bab3d0a267a5a7901c44d.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/product_documents/documents/4656_1477609439/40201-RealTime-rack-Bro_original.pdf

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-accelerators/uad2-live-rack.html

Live Rack is not Apollo. Here is a brief comparison.

Live Rack Hardware:

• 4 DSP chips. These are the same chips as Apollo DSP
  • MADI optical I/O only
  • 16 Channels of I/O per hardware unit
  • Chain (via TB) up to 4 Live Racks for up to 64 channels of I/O with 16 DSP chips
  • Dual-redundant internal power supplies with fail-over detection
  • Thunderbolt 3
  • BNC Word Clock I/O
  • Sync through MADI, Word Clock or internally

Live Rack has been designed to work in a live setting. The DSP chips are the same SHARC chips as Apollo. Live Rack can load almost all of the UAD plugins, just like an Apollo.

But Live Rack has no A/D or D/A conversion. So even though it is a DSP plugin host for UAD plugins, it is not an audio interface. You can think of it as a Satellite with an entirely new application dedicated to hosting UAD plugins in a live setting.

The Live Rack Application

The system is controlled with a Mac computer via Thunderbolt and the Live Rack application, which is specifically designed for fast, easy, and safe operation during live shows. The Live Rack app is also optimized for touch control with a Mac-compatible touchscreen display.

QuoteWith the Live Rack application, front-of-house engineers can take advantage of intuitive features such as drag and drop, copy and paste, keyboard navigation, plug-in zoom, and the ability to store and recall channel strip presets and/or complete setup configuration Snapshots. Designed for seamless operation in a live setting, the Live Rack app features large text and GUI elements making it easy to quickly tweak parameters. The Live Rack app also features MIDI snapshot recall capabilities as well as networked software integration with select Soundcraft Vi consoles.

The really important feature that Live Rack has which is unavailable on Apollo is snapshots.

QuoteSnapshot Defined:

A snapshot is a complete collection of all settings for the entire active Live Rack configuration. "All settings" are all parameter values in all Views, including all plug‑in assignments in all channels, the current settings and state (active, disabled, etc) of all assigned plug‑ins, and I/O Gain and Delay Group settings for all channels. All Snapshots are user‑created.Snapshots are saved as a disk file so the complete session can be subsequently recalled and/or transferred between systems and operators. Snapshots can be loaded from within Snapshots View, via MIDI, or from within Soundcraft Vi consoles via Ethernet using the Vi CUE functions.

MIDI with Live Rack

MIDI control of some tempo sync is available with a few UAD plugins. As stated above, MIDI is used to recall presets and snapshots. Otherwise, there is no additional MIDI control of plugins on either Live Rack or Apollo systems.

I still expect MIDI or EUcon control over UAD plugins to be available in the not to distant future. It has been the top request on the UA Forum for some time now, and UA knows it is a must-do upgrade.

Configurations and Plugin Licenses

Live Rack comes as a core (with 5 UAD plugins) unit or as an Ultimate unit with 90 plugins.

It is worth noting that if you own a plugin license, you can load as many instances on as many channels as you have hardware to support them.

Plugins you already own a license for on Apollo can also be loaded on Live Rack.

Note that there are a small number of UAD plugins that are incompatible with Live Rack.

A/DA Flanger
    Ampeg SVT-VR Classic
    Ampex ATR-102
    AMS Neve DFC Channel Strip
    Antares Auto-Tune Realtime Advanced
    Bill Putnam Mic Collection
    bx_masterdesk
    bx_masterdesk_Classic
    Capitol Chambers
    Century Tube Channel Strip
    Diezel Herbert Amplifier
    Friedman Buxom Betty
    Helios Type 69 Preamp & EQ
    Lexicon 480L Digital Reverb and Effects
    Neve Preamp
    Precision Multiband
    Softube Vocoder
    Suhr PT100 Amplifier
    Suhr SE100 Amplifier
    Tube-Tech CL 1B MkII
    V76 Preamplifier

For a guitarist, a single Live Rack would be a fine effects server, but it is expensive. For a band, however, the cost can be reasonable, especially if you already own a lot of UAD plugins.

I own 70+ UAD plugins and an Apollo system. So I looked seriously at Live Rack. I don't play live any more due to neuropathy in my hands. But in the studio, I like the idea of snapshots. It just would cost me too much to justify.

So get a new band member with an Apollo and a bunch of UAD plugins. Even if he/she can't play a lick, it might be worth it. And no. I don't want to join your band!
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio