GT-1000- My liveset (Fender into FRFR)

Started by sonagiovi, July 06, 2019, 02:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonagiovi

Here's the liveset I've been using lately for live use with FRFR: 5 "usable/normal" tones, clean to lead, created for/with single coil guitars and loud live playing (no IEMs). There are some dynamic assigns to maximize the dynamic response of the amps, which are always dual mixed/summed, mostly X-MDP types.
Top row assigns are BPM tap, manual mode, drive, delay hold and a modulation or a second drive depending on the level of gain. Manual access to traditional effects + looper, volume down for tuner.
I have a low cut at 63Hz and -3db at 6.3kHz in the output/global eq to balance the tone and use an external FS-7 to switch banks.
Let me know what you think, I've been tweaking modelers for a long time and still can't stop ;-) but I have played with great pleasure lots more than losing time with the GTK, even though experimenting is fun, playing guitar with the thing is actually funnier! :-)

Brent Flash

sonagiovi

Thank you! I joined this group and shared this bank as I feel that mid-focused tones, suited for live band playing, are missing in the presets and that we all could learn from each other to improve our sounds. The assign matrix is a real strength of the unit, where the fun happens, and I've only just begun to scratch the surface, mostly searching for traditional guitar sounds.
Just a couple of things: the global eq I use actually has a 63Hz low-cut, a 6.3kHz high-cut and -5dB eq on the highs, darker than I remembered, but I feel the Boss converters sound pretty bright. The patches are for stereo use, if you intend to sum to mono adjust the distance in the cab section to avoid phase problems or simply turn stereo link on.
Anyway, thanks again and let's all have fun playing!

sonagiovi

A final addendum: I've integrated the global eq into the patches, tweaked and dialed a couple of minor things and used this liveset happily since. This is the updated version.

roachone

Hey, thanks for this! I'll give it a listen in the next few days. Appreciated.

sonagiovi

Final (never say never though...) tweaked version of the 5 presets for loud live use with a gift: 5 added presets for headphones/low volume use (in stereo!) and a patch for piezo acoustic (not finalized but usable).
I'll admit of pulling a little "EVH-style" trick on you all, as previously in my old liveset the mic distance had to be tweaked in order to get the right sound to my taste...  ;D
I was expecting some comments about it  :-X   >:(   :'(  but since I use this forum mainly as a cloud backup of my patches I thought I'd share everything as is!  :)
Now everything should be usable right out, hopefully. I've compared the liveset extensively to several of MBritt's KPA patches, striving to match for feel and tone. For my own personal taste they are much more pleasing than most of the free popular patches I've tried that are floating around... Try for yourself, now you easily can.  ;)
Feel free to modify and share, best wishes to you all!  8)

sonagiovi

Hello, fellow guitar players!  ;D I've once again tweaked my main live patches, balancing them for both IEMs and PAs, making several changes that apply to most modelers (details below). The goal was having realistic sounds for most classic styles, from jazz to rock.

The patches: 1=Clean, 2=Pushed, 3=Crunch, 4=Drive, 5=Lead, from neutral clean to mid-gain lead.
The switching, left to right: BankDown=Tap Tempo, BankUp=Manual/Tuner, CTRL1=boost, CTRL2=delay and CTRL3=modulation.
The manual assigns: 1=looper, 2=FX1, 3=DS2 or FX2, 4=Triplet/Straight Delay+Rotary speed, 5=Slicer+Tera Echo.

Some thoughts about specific details:

INPUT - It's better to keep the gain lower to avoid any clipping. With my vintage-style single-coils unity gain=0db works fine. In general gain staging is important, especially the output levels of the amp block and in dual paths that get summed.

EQ - Low cuts right after the input, before pedals and amps, are just as useful as high cuts after the amps for tonal balance and global eq after everything is not the same. Basically compression and distortion react better to high-passed signals, then you usually need to tame the highs with a low-pass and finally apply post fx.

FX - The effects are great but there are parameters to tweak, with the power to make both good and horrible sounds: little adjustments make a big difference most of the times. Using assigns to toggle between FX types is very useful, since individual settings in each are stored indipendently in the preset. Mono compatibility is important, check the phase of stereo fx and modulations (and stereo amps/cabs too). Reverb is often unnecessary for live use and delay is usually better, but having them in parallel is better than having them in series. Mono chorus pre-amp and stereo pitch detune post-amp results in a great sounding modulation.

AMPS - The treble in distorted amps is crucial (as the bass in clean amps), balancing harshness and livelyness lies here. The default setting of presence=0 usually sounds best (like the middle gain setting). In most amp levels and eqs the usable range is up to around 60, don't crank everything to 11. Assigning the input level to slightly push gain+volume improves the feel to me, along with varying the sag parameter (in the positive range). Find your favorite sounding amp models and get to know them well and the same goes for the cabs.

CAB - The SM57 is a classic for a reason, embrace it (I was guilty of chasing the AITR unicorn...). The stock cabs are just fine, get out of the IRs rabbit-hole and give them a listen.

PRESETS - I found it much easier to create a sound starting from scratch initializing a patch, since then all the blocks parameters are brought to default settings and the levels are right. The assigns are extremely powerful to customize the functionality of the switches and sounds. Make copies of your patches/banks, tweak the new one and possibly A/B compare them through different playback systems throughout several days with fresh ears. Once again, a small difference in a parameter can result in a huge change in sound. Having the same banks copied with varying stages of "wetness" and/or "eq tilt" (and/or cab/mic...) can be useful, as is wisely assigning the main screen knob functions and the footswitch assigns placement.

Bye, happy music-making!  :)