Singular Sound - Aeros Loop Studio

Started by admin, June 27, 2019, 10:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Quote from: jm345 on January 28, 2020, 12:24:02 PM
They also have the new MIDI MAESTRO which I am trying to figure out how it all fits together.

MIDI Maestro Firmware will evolve After Aeros Loop Studio FW - around May 2020 I figure will be a stable build time for MIDI Maestro - they are a very small R&D shop

mooncaine

Quote from: mooncaine on July 03, 2019, 09:35:03 PM
2 fums up. MoonCaine will soon begin saving money for this.
Given the indefinite time frame of current dystopian social distancing norms, I decided, ____ it, I'm getting this looper. I might be alone in the room for a long time... or I might die tomorrow!

admin

Quote from: mooncaine on March 25, 2020, 01:55:49 PM
Given the indefinite time frame of current dystopian social distancing norms, I decided, ____ it, I'm getting this looper. I might be alone in the room for a long time... or I might die tomorrow!

mooncaine

Got one. Did this on VG-99. No processing. Played back the looper's recording to Ableton Live because the d----d SD card function is not working, so, I guess there is a bit of processing (like, I turned up the levels in Live). [edit: oops, I just realized after posting this that my H9 was on the whole time, so... we're hearing whatever patch I had dialed up there, too).

Totally random, extemporaneous. Just told myself to make something before I hit the sack.

mooncaine

With help from a Facebook user, I learned how to update the firmware to a newer version that now lets us save songs onto the SD Card properly. Hoping that after work today, I can start doing some looping exercises, work on some pedal routines and muscle memory.

Also still gotta figure out the best signal chain for it. Right now, it goes into a small mixer, then to a USB audio interface's main inputs.

The display's nicely larger than I expected. For my old eyes, that helps. It's great to have the input meters on the edge of the screen. They give me important visual feedback about how hot my incoming audio is. My first few loops were razor-fuzzy until I learned to adjust the loudness of incoming audio while watching Aeros's meters.

admin

https://forum.singularsound.com/t/aeros-firmware-2-17-x/18491

Hi there fellow Aerosnauts!

We've been working on this version for quite a while, and we think it's finally pretty solid. Let me know what you think.

Standard Disclaimer: This is a beta version of the firmware. Though we have tested it extensively and believe it to be very stable, we are leaving this as a beta for the next week just to confirm that there are no major issues before publishing it as an official version available over WIFI.

To try out this beta, update through the SD card (note: the SD card must be between 4-32 GB in capacity): Download this file 3, rename the downloaded file (currently named aeros-2.17.1.bin) to aeros.bin and then place it on an SD card and into your Aeros before turning it on.

To go back to the previous firmware, use the same SD card update method to install version 2.15.5 or firmware 2.13.2

2.17.1 Changelog

Added cross fade on loop seams and quick fade in/out on start/stop to prevent audio pops
New Setting: Mute Immediately, End of Measure, End of Loop. This is for muting a track with a double tap. Muting in the mixer screen is always immediate.
New Setting: Record songs in Mono/Stereo (set when starting a new song)
New Setting: Play audio in Mono/Stereo (main settings)
New Setting: Play/Stop All button on press/release. Previously this button was active on release, it is now active on press, which makes it more immediate, but will cause a small amount of sound to be played when holding it down while stopped to clear a song. You can change it with the setting
Next Track button in 6x6 mode now works on downpress instead of release
Enabled single note time signatures (1/4, 1/8) so songs can be quantized to the beat instead of the measure
Click is now audible in both main out and aux out during Count In
Added "Mute All" option to mixer screen when no tracks are muted
Added Memory Used to Stopped Screen: This is how much of the currently loaded song memory has been used. Saving the song will merge the overdubs and free up more memory. This is not the total stored memory of all songs (which can be expanded with the SD card)
Added low memory and out of memory warning dialog, shown for 5 seconds (can be dismissed with PLAY/STOP or lower left button)
Added solid red circle around track clock of Longest Loop in song part that is being used as a basis for recording a new track when the Sync Track Length setting enabled
Added Screenshot function: MIDI message CC127:127 will save a screenshot to the SD card
New system to create log files on the SD card if Aeros crashes. In the rare case that the Aeros crashes, please email the crash log files to support@singularsound.com
Fixes:

Close loop at forgiveness point: Audio will be captured during the forgiveness period (up to 300 ms) and added to the loop to prevent loop 'holes' when pressing the button shortly after the measure line. (NOTE: The waveform will not be visible but the audio is present)
Fixed renaming of existing song bug
Limit keyboard input to numbers and letters for first character of song name, to prevent empty song bug
Fixed crash caused by touching the screen while deleting song
Fixed: Cue recording with Next Track in 6x6 while recording and then cancel cue caused currently recording track to stop recording
Fixed Click Track Lag
Automatically delete transient overdub when muting with double tap
Various fixes
This is a follow up to beta version 2.15.5 which was never officially released over WiFi.

2.15.5 Changelog

Added quick start guide
Saving/managing songs on SD card is now available
Songs are sorted in song list by last loaded order (all SD card stored songs will be below internal memory stored songs in the song list screen after bootup)
Songs can now be renamed again when editing song
Added Sync track feature (start / length) in song settings: Sync Start forces all tracks to start in the same place. Sync length will force all tracks to be a multiple of the first track in the song part. Freeform tracks can be equal to the first track or 2, 4, 8, etc times as long. Quantized tracks can also be half as long as the first track or 1 measure long. This keeps all tracks from going out of time with each other.
Added track offsets: If sync start is off, the Aeros will now keep the relative differences between the start points of tracks
Added global setting: Change song parts/Stop song: Immediate/End of Measure, End of Loop. This controls when songs parts change and when Aeros stops playback after pressing Stop All. If End of Loop is enabled, song parts will change and playback will stop at the end of the longest loop in the currently playing song part. If the [Immediate/EOM] option is selected, Freeform songs will change/stop immediately and Quantized songs will change/stop at the End of Measure.
Reduced forgiveness lag from 500ms to 300ms. This is the time of a button pressed after the measure line triggering at the passed measure line. The long forgiveness lag was causing problems during songs with a fast tempo.
Allow Main Input to not be routed anywhere. This was requested by users who use a mixer going into the Aeros and want to prevent a 'phasing' effect.
Song is only loaded when entering loop studio screen upon boot up to prevent long boot up time.
Refactored Audio block processing for additional stability.
Fixes:

Fixed crash when saving long songs.
Song with no name being created bug

mooncaine

Now that I've had a few days with the Aeros Loop Studio, I realize I want a small pedal mixer that will let me do these things:

• Pass on the main signal as cleanly as possible, stereo outs
  • Accept a separate stereo input, an Aux In, I suppose.
  • Route the separate input to a separate headphone output.
  • Control volume in headphone
It would be great if the if the headphone audio (or the channels feeding it) could be muted by a simple replaceable footswitch.

What would you recommend? What do you think might be best for this? (Preferably without taking up a lot of space or needing bulky power adapters?)

mooncaine

Actually, I may not need all that. I plugged headphones into an AUX output and got click in both speakers. I could probably get buy with a footswitchable inline headphone amp. I'll check out that saturnworks (I think?) pedal builder later today.

thebrushwithin

Review of Aeros and jam featuring SY1000 & Beat Buddy..

[url][https://youtu.be/s6f3SDz6zvg/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6f3SDz6zvg&feature=share

mooncaine

I learned a few things from that video. Thanks! I might buy a BeatBuddy after all. Was pleased to learn that one can load one's own samples to BeatBuddy. Hope that's not complicated by weird extra steps.

Headless68

Quote from: mooncaine on March 25, 2020, 01:55:49 PM
I'm getting this looper. I might be alone in the room for a long time... or I might die tomorrow!

Good to know you're not dead Moonie :-)

BROCKSTAR

I wanna like the aeros loop studio but for such a price and how powerful it is, it's crazy how they left out some well known features that people need and want in a looper like reverse, half-speed and other speeds etc.. I was going to get one last month but without those it's a deal breaker so I ended up getting a Boomerang Phrase Looper III instead and it's awesome. However I may still get the aeros one down the road if it brings in those other features and more.

mooncaine

Quote from: Headless68 on December 01, 2020, 02:32:25 AM

Good to know you're not dead Moonie :-)
Thanks! Sadly, no looping music yet. It works fine. It's me that isn't working. Yet. But I plugged it all up again last night and noodled a few minutes on my VG-99. It's all working.

Awesome Cellos Of Doom stereo sound from VG: checkEventide H9 set to Black Hole: checkStereo-updated Tensor to f### with the fabric of time and space: check
Stereo effect path into audio interface: check.Audio interface actually works: checkAbleton Live hears it all: checkMoonie's desire to play a single stinking note: awol
But, to bring it back on topic, that Aeros also makes a great level meter. ;) I actually used it to confirm, and adjust, the level, because it's got a volume roller knob for foot play and a huge display I can actually see down there.

Tcaron20

Received my new Aeros today and spend the day with it. My plan is to create a backing track with the six tracks and add the other five, which would include some harmonies. 
The song parts look like fun but I want to just have a song play through without juggling the parts.
I wish these loopers had a setting to have the song end after x measures or automatically at the end of a backing track to avoid the song repeating without pressing a switch.

ghostofweedon

QuoteI wish these loopers had a setting to have the song end after x measures or automatically at the end of a backing track to avoid the song repeating without pressing a switch.

It's worth submitting a feature request on their forum if you haven't done so already. The firmware for the looper is still being developed as far as I am aware.

https://forum.singularsound.com

BROCKSTAR

Tcaron20

Yes, saw that. Nothing really exciting, at least to me. Dave said Ned release for extended recordings. That what I need.

admin

https://forum.singularsound.com/t/aeros-firmware-3-5-x/24439?fbclid=IwAR0Ooa5jo8tJkYEymjvCl5AVy_ml0HCGUmB1Lz5CQuRojDE-_BmuGC1FZ8o

Firmware 3.5.1 Changelog

Optimized memory usage of track recording. Now, up to 20 minutes of mono audio (10 minutes stereo) can be recorded in a track
Improved visual waveform gain system for more consistent relative waveform display sizes
Added a new notification when an update is available on server, check is done periodically when Aeros is not used
Added a new setting "Cancel Recording" to allow user to undo recording while recording or overdubbing by pressing Play/Stop All button (recording and overdubbing will be undone). Very useful for when a mistake is made and you wish to redo the recording
Bug Fixes:

Song naming with mixed upper-case and lower-case issues. Songs can now only be named using Uppercase letters
Change Part in loop forgiveness zone with locked tracks, tracks drop out
Next Track record command sent "on the beat" (loop forgiveness) causing audio desync when using the BeatBuddy
Previous version song files showing song part icons incorrectly
Changed when undo is done while in quantized mode from end of measure to immediately. If necessary, adds silence to track to meet sync length rules
What we're working on next:

Additional Memory System Improvements
MIDI capability expansion

mooncaine

This is a beta update. Don't freak out if your Aeros didn't automatically notice it, because that's not gonna happen with a beta.

Also, it's a beta, so it might change before it's official.

They're giving us longer record times. The pedal's going to get better than it was when I bought it.

That kind of thing is just so effin cool.

And I love how they prioritized things. The bug fix for mixed-case names is to simply stop allowing lowercase characters. Done. The message I get from that is "You're not here for file names, you're here for looping, so, here, have some more minutes to loop with. Don't sweat the small stuff." I love that.

admin

But been waiting for MIDI  support

It's still an unwritten requirement to buy a BeatBuddy to get most from Aeros Loop Station
https://forum.singularsound.com/t/aeros-midi-commands/16595/208