Tell me about the Roland G 707 please!

Started by gearhound22, April 11, 2019, 10:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearhound22

Quote from: vanceg on April 23, 2019, 02:41:06 PM
While I hate to see a "classic" insturment gutted, I understand the desire. Personally, I'd suggest getting a custom body built that has a retro-future look. Perhaps even headless with a stabilizer bar.   If you have  a stabilizer bar, you have a place to run a cable for the mechanical Sustainic Sustain Man if you wanted.  Personally I like electromagnetic sustainers and I'd suggest you take a peek at the (Not quite yet released) Infinity multichannel sustainer from Cycfi.  If it works as advertised, that will be able to sustain each string separately.  I know from using the Moog guitar and the Vo96 that this is a HUGE advantage when using my guitar as an "analog synth" (by this I mean that I'm processing the string output as you would an oscillator of a synth.. .having separate sustain to make each of your strings ring indefinately is a big advantage when you are doing this).     

Just 2c worth of input.

Thanks!

Since I've been looking into gear for this new project its crazy how much good stuff is out there!
A custom body would be great because I've noticed the 707 and some of the other guitars I was looking at are kinda a 'centre piece' for some artists.

Speaking of the mechanical sustainer...is the stabilizer bar hollow? Asked earlier but not 100% answered yet

Howcome

Hey all,

Honestly, I find it somewhat terrified to ditch the G707 internals and replace that with a GK2. In fact, all the G707 schematics (the guitar side) is doing, is buffering the pickup signals and pots/switches. The actual conversion is in the synth.
Roland used to have a box (BC13) that adapts the 24pin into 13pins (actually 12, because pin 7 is not connected). This schematic is small enough to fit into the guitar itself and attach it directly to the guitar's PCB. I have done this for my G505, but it works on my 707 either way. I have written a blogpost about this conversion, which was even mentioned on Wayne's site: https://www.gtrworks.nl/roland-g-505-13pin-connector