Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar

Started by Kenmac, January 30, 2019, 09:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenmac

I remember somebody saying a while back that it would be nice to have the VG-99 in software format, well this comes a step closer. This Re-Guitar plugin allows you to  change your Les Paul, Strat, Tele or any electric guitar to another sound. It even has a Gretsch pickup model. Now, none of this is new to those of us who've been using GR, VG systems or Variax guitars but I guess it was inevitable that software would be able to do this. It's not available yet but on the website it says it will be in the second quarter, probably around April. Here's the link with more information:  https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReGuitar/
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

admin

https://www.gearnews.com/namm-2019-blue-cat-audio-re-guitar-infinite-guitar-tones/

NAMM 2019: Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar - virtual pickups for your guitar
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes

NAMM 2019: Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar - virtual pickups for your guitar ·  Source: Blue Cat Audio

The software company Blue Cat Audio is showing a new plug-in for the NAMM Show 2019 with re-guitar, with which you can turn your guitar into an x-any other - sound-wise, of course. That sounds impressive, is space-saving in your studio and rehearsal room and of course costs much less than several guitars together. Very nice!

Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar simulates and replaces guitars
Blue Cat Audio announces a new guitar-replacing plug-in. Re-Guitar is supposed to be a latency-free way to transform the sound of your guitar live into another one. And that simple and intuitive. Connect the guitar, place the plug-in on the input track, click on a user in the software you are using, select the desired target emulation and start playing. How the whole thing sounds, we can listen to the NAMM booth of the company or have to wait a little while until the first videos and sound samples appear.

The graphical user interface is very clear and self-explanatory. Everyone will find their way here. Another advantage of the plug-in is the subsequent replacement of a guitar sound in an already recorded arrangement. Here you can choose between different pickups ( single coil, vintage, modern, active, tele, neck + mid, bridge + mid, P90, P90J, humbuckers: vintage, classic, ricky, modern, rails, bright, wide, wide (jazz), jazz box, piezo, acoustic, hollow-bodied ). There are of course various parameters that you can still adjust ( Volume ,  Tone Pot , Brightness and Gain ).

Price and specifications
Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar will be available on the manufacturer's website in the second quarter of 2019 at a price of 149 euros . The plug-in runs on Mac OSX 10.7 or higher and Windows Vista or higher as VST , VST3 , AAX and AU in 32 or 64 bit. A downloadable demo version will certainly be added alongside a PDF manual on the day of publication.

More info
product page

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_ReGuitar/

mos6507

No hex input = no alternate tunings, 12-string sim, etc...
Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

Kenmac

Quote from:  admin
This technology has been around
http://blog.presonus.com/index.php/2018/11/09/friday-tips-humbucker-single-coil-conversion-eq/

Vox Jamvox app has a PU modeling built it

Well, whoever it was that mentioned that they'd like to see the VG-99 in software format made the comment years ago, probably long before the Jamvox app was released. Still for "mainstream" guitarists who are unaware of the VG and GR products they'll probably see this Re-Guitar plug-in as a revelation.  :)

Kenmac

Quote from: mos6507 on January 30, 2019, 11:03:04 AM
No hex input = no alternate tunings, 12-string sim, etc...
Agreed, the hex still has the edge there, unless you want to buy sample libraries of 12 strings and use MIDI Guitar 2 with them. As for alternate tunings, the hex really is the only way to go I.M.O.

mos6507

Quote from: Kenmac on January 31, 2019, 11:24:07 AM
Well, whoever it was that mentioned that they'd like to see the VG-99 in software format made the comment years ago

I'm pretty sure that was me :)

I am really not much of a fan of dedicated hardware.  DSPs are great and all but I don't see why a PC couldn't do everything a modern VG-99 does purely in software.  It's not a matter of feasibility but will.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

scratch17

@mos6507 said:

QuoteI don't see why a PC couldn't do everything a modern VG-99 does purely in software.

Maybe Roland will make a new hardware V device based upon plugout capability. Plugouts could include all of the VG-8, -88 and -99 sounds and those on the GP-10.

If Roland got really crazy, the existing plugouts available for the System 8 (Juno 106, Jupiter 8 and JX-3P) and System 1 (Promars SH-01, System 100) might be made available for the guitar plugout V device.

I'd love to see a simple device with a GK input and USB-C audio output. Add a stereo S/PDIF output, a pair of analog outputs and MIDI in + out/through.

The engine would be solely based on plugouts. It would have six plugout slots, so you could load at least one different one per string, giving you 6 voice multitimbrality.

The base unit might come loaded with the GP-10 in all six slots.

Probably not gonna happen, but a man can dream!

As for the Blue Cat Re-Guitar:

QuoteThis plug-in has not been released yet - it is expected to be available around Q2 2019

Note: It is only 47 days until the second quarter begins.

I am eagerly looking forward to this plugin. My projected use is primarily recording. I want to use it with hex guitar and Melodyne Studio to create hybrid guitars unavailable in the real world.

Example: I am adding a Cycfi Nu2 Multi pickup to an American Elite  Tele. I will record the hex signal into six tracks in Logic Pro X. Then I will load Melodyne 4 and add six strings an octave up onto six new tracks.

The I will use Re-Guitar to the six new tracks to change to an acoustic guitar voice.

Then I mix the Tele and Re-Guitar tracks for the high E string to taste. After doing so for the other tracks, I end up with a Hex 12 string that is 1/2 acoustic and 1/2 electric. Then I mix to mono or stereo.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

admin

Quote from: scratch17 on February 14, 2019, 11:19:31 AM
@mos6507 said:

Maybe Roland will make a new hardware V device based upon plugout capability. Plugouts could include all of the VG-8, -88 and -99 sounds and those on the GP-10.

If Roland got really crazy, the existing plugouts available for the System 8 (Juno 106, Jupiter 8 and JX-3P) and System 1 (Promars SH-01, System 100) might be made available for the guitar plugout V device.

I'd love to see a simple device with a GK input and USB-C audio output. Add a stereo S/PDIF output, a pair of analog outputs and MIDI in + out/through.

The engine would be solely based on plugouts. It would have six plugout slots, so you could load at least one different one per string, giving you 6 voice multitimbrality.

The base unit might come loaded with the GP-10 in all six slots.

Probably not gonna happen, but a man can dream!

As for the Blue Cat Re-Guitar:

Note: It is only 47 days until the second quarter begins.

I am eagerly looking forward to this plugin. My projected use is primarily recording. I want to use it with hex guitar and Melodyne Studio to create hybrid guitars unavailable in the real world.

Example: I am adding a Cycfi Nu2 Multi pickup to an American Elite  Tele. I will record the hex signal into six tracks in Logic Pro X. Then I will load Melodyne 4 and add six strings an octave up onto six new tracks.

The I will use Re-Guitar to the six new tracks to change to an acoustic guitar voice.

Then I mix the Tele and Re-Guitar tracks for the high E string to taste. After doing so for the other tracks, I end up with a Hex 12 string that is 1/2 acoustic and 1/2 electric. Then I mix to mono or stereo.

10 YEARS AGO -Craig Anderton worked on "inside the computer" real time hex processing using 6 instances of Native Instruments Guitar Rig VSTi plug in within Ableton Live  - for the misunderstood Gibson Dark Fire project   
ShawnB, MCK, and myself all have Dark Fire Guitars

http://espanol.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Blogs/dark-fire--the-inside-story.aspx

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20793.0

Kenmac

Just an update, they've uploaded some demo videos here:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/preview/first-re-guitaring-videos/

And for those interested in finding out more about the software the manual is here:

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Doc/Product_ReGuitar/

admin

QuoteThank you for mentioning our software! It has not been released yet, but we have posted a couple of "re-guitaring" examples on our blog: Blue Cat's Re-Guitar Videos
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Blog/preview/first-re-guitaring-videos/

bluecataudio

Thank you for mentioning the Re-Guitar plug-in. There are indeed a couple of differences with the VG processors and Variax guitars that all have access to individual signals for each string. But the goal is not exactly the same, and there are pros and cons to each approach.

The main reason for using 6 strings signals and a specific pickup in these systems is that they are dependent on the note played on each string, for two purposes: (1) the ability to virtually move the pickup on the body, and (2) the ability to change the tuning of the instrument.

The main goal of our plug-in is to respect the original instrument and "just" change its type of pickups and its body (or simulate acoustic guitars). So it does not need to track the pitch, which is good news:
- There is no latency.
- You just need a mono track - no need for one audio track per string (and you do not need a specific pickup and cable).
- You can still use various pickup combinations on your guitar and still apply the effect: it will sound realistic with all pickup combinations.
- Palm mute will just work with side effects - it does not sound weird because of pitch tracking issues like in most virtual guitar systems.
- You can apply the plug-in on existing guitar DI tracks and modify the sound after the fact.

We have done a couple of experiment with 6-string signals, but it is definitely not very convenient. If you have the BOSS GP-10, it can be used as an audio interface, so you can actually process all 6 strings separately. And back in the days there was also an analog system to plug between the GK and the audio interface but it was a bit noisy. Anyway, you end-up with 6 signals that are not easily routed and mixed together in most DAWs. It is however a lot of fun to apply different effects / tones to each string :-).

scratch17

@bluecataudio, thanks for creating this tool. It looks like a no brainer. The demos are awesome.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Vaultnaemsae

Blue Cat make some pretty great stuff for guitarists (and others). Have any of you checked out Axiom?
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

scratch17

@bluecataudio said:

Quoteyou end-up with 6 signals that are not easily routed and mixed together in most DAWs.

Set up the six tracks with the levels, effects, automation, etc. to get the sound that you want.

Create a group bus to mix the signals to mono. It is easy to create and you simply send the six tracks to the bus.

You could also create a stereo bus, with three strings sent to each side of the bus.

Or get really creative. Use Re-Guitar on three of the strings, making a half acoustic / half electric guitar.

Alternate idea 1: layer Re-guitar onto two strings with sound 1, repeat on two strings with sound 2, repeat on two strings with sound 3.

Alternate idea 2: Start with an electric guitar. Use Melodyne Studio to add an octave to the top three strings.

Copy the octave line to 3 other tracks. Use Re-Guitar to change the sound on the octave line tracks to an acoustic guitar.

Mix the octave acoustic guitar tracks with the original top 3 strings' electric guitar sounds to a bus. Send the bottom three strings to the other side of a stereo bus.

Bingo! you have a hybrid 9 string electric / acoustic guitar.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

bluecataudio

Quote from: scratch17 on March 05, 2019, 10:06:28 AM
@bluecataudio, thanks for creating this tool. It looks like a no brainer. The demos are awesome.
Thanks!

Kenmac

This plug-in is now available for $69.00 or 69 Euros. They have Mac and PC demos available so you can try before you buy. The only two demo limitations are having up to five instances of the plug-in allowed per session and the effect is bypassed for half a second every minute. I've already downloaded my demos and I'll be checking them out later this evening. Once again here's the link if you want to either demo the plug-in or buy it:

Vaultnaemsae

It's worth noting that ReGuitar is included in the Axiom 1.2 update released yesterday - usable inside Axiom only.

As an existing licensed BC Axiom user (among other great BC products) I received an offer for a 90% discounted add-on VST/VST3/AU version of the ReGuitar plugin good until early April and bringing the price down to 9Euro/USD$9.

I have installed Axiom 1.2 but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Seems ReGuitar implementation is the key new feature along with an FX related minor bug fix. Hopefully will dive into it tonight. I've really been digging on Axiom lately. It's incredibly powerful in its flexibility.
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

bluecataudio

Glad that you like it! I would be glad to hear the results of your sonic experiments!

Kenmac

Quote from: Les Paul Special on March 12, 2019, 09:42:53 PM
I just gave the demo a try.  At first I saw "RE-GUITAR" and thought it didn't modify the sound in real-time, as I was thinking of the re-guitar function of the Boss GP-10.  I am impressed by this plugin.  So with this and helix native and midi guitar 2, I can do single line pitch shifting with modeled guitars including acoustics with doublings and triplings (i.e., original note plus a fifth below and sixth above), with Omnsiphere mixed in. Great job bluecataudio! If you're not a gigging musician, why even buy hardware?  So I guess with these new tools, if someone were to ask should I buy a Roland/Boss product I would have to say, ONLY if you have to have polyphonic pitch shifting.  Roland really dropped the ball when they stopped/stalled development of their 13-pin products.  I think it is only going to get worse for them. Also keeping 13-pin fans in the dark for years is a bad move on their part. Bye, bye, Roland.     

Yes, there's no latency so you can play in real time. As for the polyphonic pitch shifting, that's a pretty powerful function and feature so I personally wouldn't give up on the GK pickup just yet. I think it'll be a while yet before we can get convincing pitch shifting/tunings in software.

Here are my initial thoughts on the plug-in. I checked it out last night. I was using a dual humbucker guitar and I liked the acoustic emulations, but naturally it's not going to sound exactly like a Martin, Taylor or Godin series acoustic but there's definitely an acoustic "flavour" to the sound. I also liked the Tele and Jazz Box emulations. I was a little disappointed in the Strat type emulations but after checking the manual I've read that you have to tweak your guitars a bit, but I'd also say that it's down to what virtual amp you use. If I use more of a Fender Twin type model I'm sure it will sound even more convincing. There are also Gretsch type emulations as well but at the time I didn't have things set up properly so it didn't sound convincing, but again the virtual amp you use plays a part. Personally I think this is a pretty impressive plug-in and the demo limitations are quite generous. You will hear things cut out and you'll hear your actual guitar pickups instead of the emulations once every minute or so but it only lasts for half a second. Overall I'm very impressed with this plug-in and I highly recommend it.  :)

bluecataudio

Thanks! The Re-guitared tone is indeed sensitive to the amp used, just like in the real world!

admin

Quote from: sixeight on October 08, 2020, 07:17:10 AM
, is there any sofware that can do the guitar modeling roughly the same way Boss/Roland does?

BlueCat ReGuitar
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=25151.msg184946#msg184946

Main Features
Guitar tone modeler with electric pickups, acoustic guitars and hollow body emulations.
Built-in single coil pickups: single hot, vintage, modern, active, tele, neck+mid, bridge+mid, P90, P90J.
Built-in humbucker pickups: vintage, classic, ricky, modern, rails, bright, wide, wide(jazz), jazz box.
Built-in piezo & acoustic guitars: solid body piezo, acoustic sim pedals, modern & vintage dreadnought, jumbo, mini jumbo, 000, small.
Create your own electric pickups or acoustic guitar emulations with the custom electric and custom acoustic models.
Adjust hollow body thickness and amount.
Adjust simulations brightness and gain.
Built-in virtual volume and tone pots.
No latency.

QuoteI just gave the demo a try.  At first I saw "RE-GUITAR" and thought it didn't modify the sound in real-time, as I was thinking of the re-guitar function of the Boss GP-10.  I am impressed by this plugin.  So with this and helix native and midi guitar 2, I can do single line pitch shifting with modeled guitars including acoustics with doublings and triplings (i.e., original note plus a fifth below and sixth above), with Omnsiphere mixed in. Great job bluecataudio! If you're not a gigging musician, why even buy hardware?  So I guess with these new tools, if someone were to ask should I buy a Roland/Boss product I would have to say, ONLY if you have to have polyphonic pitch shifting.  Roland really dropped the ball when they stopped/stalled development of their 13-pin products.  I think it is only going to get worse for them. Also keeping 13-pin fans in the dark for years is a bad move on their part. Bye, bye, Roland.