VG-99 - Chabulous Fellow (the cellos of doom collection)

Started by mooncaine, September 04, 2018, 06:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

Here's one of my cellos of doom patches. This one seems sprightly and cheerful, maybe the sunniest of the bunch. I was recently tweaking my cello patches for a night of ELO covers.

The special tuning I'm using gives me access to roots and major/minor thirds on the low strings. Maybe it sacrifices some logic among the upper string intervals, merely to make it easier to play 10538 Overture. It's possible that I could do better. I learned a bunch of useful chords & riffs for ELO tunes with this one, so I'm sticking with it a while and I'll decide later if the tuning should be modified.

CGDGCE

aliensporebomb

Oh boy, Jeff Lynne ought to hear this!  I bet it could be pitched up some for viola and violin.  Cool stuff!  It really does sound "cello-esque".
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Great patch. Who would of thought the 99 could do that. I had to check the header again to be sure it was a vg99 patch.

You're playing really sells it as a cello especially when you hit the cord at the end. Sounds like the other string players are kicking in there.

mooncaine

Thanks, folks!

Aliensporebomb, that patch probably pitches up an octave quite nicely. I used what I think is the same patch, resaved with the pitches an octave higher, for the same show.

Smash

Now I'm back on VG bus...

I just sat here and listened to that 3 times straight.

Very very impressive. Not familiar with the cello tuning but the voicing you used make it so convincing. Brilliant. And usable.

The first new patch I'll be adding to my new old vg

Smash

Went home lunch time just to download and try. brilliant.

mooncaine

So kind of you. Thanks, folks!

I'm glad that you, too, think these sounds are yummy. I'm going to go do some more of that sound-making stuff before bed now.

I checked, and I did indeed use a copy of this patch with the pitch up +1 octave, too. No point in uploading it. All you gotta do is adjust the Bend. It's probably already on* and set to bend up an octave, but if not, just set the Bend parameters as seen in the attached image.

*I leave it on all the time now when making new patches. It seems to smooth out hiccups when pitch-bending with the D-Beam or Ribbon that occur when Bend isn't activated.