Boss VE-500 Vocal Performer

Started by gumtown, August 29, 2018, 01:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparkletrees

Routing Help

Thanks for any help.

I am trying to route isolated only harmony from my Boss Ve-500 to my DAW. Has anyone had trouble doing this and figured out how?

I have the Output set as FX/DRY, and the dry level at 0, I have one simple harmony on in my effects patch, no unison. It should be a clean only-harmony signal coming through the left output, but I am getting my base vocal signal mixed with my harmony and have tried everything I know to fix it to no avail.

Thanks!

admin

Be sure you are on latest FW

[ Ver.1.05 ] JAN 2019
Bug Fix
The following bug was fixed.
When using VE-500 Editor, some parameters are not set correctly.

https://www.boss.info/us/support/by_product/ve-500/updates_drivers/f5d75ac6-7778-44e1-b9e9-ca0a44b15a5b/

Launch the Boss VE-500 Editor and set the SYSTEM OUTPUT like this  - then use the VE-500 LEFT XLR OUT ONLY

And set the DRY LEVEL to "0"

Review the VE-500 Parameter Guide
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VE-500_parameter_eng01_W.pdf

admin

guitarnstuff

Hey Folks.
I am looking for a MIDI Implementation Chart for this item and can't find on the BOSS website or anywhere else. I have figured out how to get program change but I would also like to send CC messages or other messages that might have use. What I would really like is to be able to change the key within a given preset on the fly so that some of the guitar chord detection algorithms can play in various key changes during the song. That would help limit the number of presets I would need to write to cover a wide range of musical situations. It would also be nice to be able to switch on or off various effects in a given song from midi messages from my helix. That would allow settings to align to Helix snapshots such as Intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc. I'm really surprised there is no easily found midi implementation chart specific to the VE-500. Leveraging the powerful MIDI command center of the Helix to control the BOSS VE-500 would be awesome, but need info on VE-500 midi implementation to do so.
Chris

Brent Flash

Quote from: guitarnstuff on August 03, 2020, 07:54:05 PM
Hey Folks.
I am looking for a MIDI Implementation Chart for this item and can't find on the BOSS website or anywhere else. I have figured out how to get program change but I would also like to send CC messages or other messages that might have use. What I would really like is to be able to change the key within a given preset on the fly so that some of the guitar chord detection algorithms can play in various key changes during the song. That would help limit the number of presets I would need to write to cover a wide range of musical situations. It would also be nice to be able to switch on or off various effects in a given song from midi messages from my helix. That would allow settings to align to Helix snapshots such as Intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc. I'm really surprised there is no easily found midi implementation chart specific to the VE-500. Leveraging the powerful MIDI command center of the Helix to control the BOSS VE-500 would be awesome, but need info on VE-500 midi implementation to do so.
Chris
I found this, may help. https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VE-500_parameter_eng01_W.pdf

guitarnstuff

Thanks Brent Flash but am looking for the CC# to use to change keys mid song with jumping to a new preset. I wish I knew how to use software to snipe for this with USB midi on a computer

gumtown

The Vocal Performer has 99 user patches, if using other midi gear, like a guitar effects processor, you can make a VE-500 patch to match the guitar pedal patch.
Or if manually selecting a patch on the VE-500 from the dial, save the song key you require in the patch.

The VE-500 also has 8 Assigns, when you choose a midi CC# number and set a function target (such as song Key), if you are using midi cc# to control stuff.
cc# has nothing to do with pc# (patch change), they are two different things.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

guitarnstuff

Gumtown
I think the cc assign is a good hint to the functionality I seek. I'm hoping I can set up a good overall patch and use cc to switch key within that patch. For example, if the song has a couple of key changes I could adjust on the fly rather than making multiple copies of the same patch that only vary by key. Example: That will allow me to step on one switch on my Line6 Helix in a bridge to chose a snapshot of guitar amp and effect settings while simultaneously switching the Boss VE500 key with that particular patch. If it will work it will be incredible. I used to do something similar with my Boss SY300/ Helix combo for various sections of a song.
Thanks Gumtown!

guitarnstuff

Gumtown:
I was able to look via the editor. The assign will let me choose a CC# to send a 0 to 127 message to either toggle or momentary switch between two keys. I was hoping that I could get the 0 to 127 to pick one of all the available scales... for example A, Am, Bb, Bbm, C, Cm, ...etc. So, at least I could have one preset switch between two keys but it looks like that is it. There might be a possibility that a CC# between 0 to 127 might be split among the eight possible assigns to allow 8 key changes, but I don't know for sure how that would work. That might allow 0 to 10 be A, and 11 to 20 be Am, etc.  Thoughts?

gumtown

With the one Assign you should be able to work it so you can select any Key in realtime.
for example
agree on which cc# number your midi controller is going to send and the VE-500 will respond to in the chosen Assign.
say CC# 30 for example.

Select category = KEY, Target = KEY,
Mode = Moment, this allows scaled selection rather than just toggling between 2 min/max values.
ACT LOW = 0,
now this is the tricky part
ACT HIGH =23, if it were 127 then a cc# value of 0 to 127 would give you the range of 24 Keys evenly divided between that range,
but if ACT HIGH is set to 23, then cc# values between 0 to 23 will fit the 24 steps in the Key selection range.

Then with the midi controller sending a specific cc# value, you can precisely select the required key, all within the same patch.

So in this example:
cc# 30 with a value of 0
(cc#30,0) will select a Key of C,
(cc#30,1) will select a Key of Db
(cc#30,2) will select a Key of D
and so on until
(cc#30,23) will select a Key of Bb

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

guitarnstuff

Quote from: gumtown on August 11, 2020, 01:35:00 PM
With the one Assign you should be able to work it so you can select any Key in realtime.
for example
agree on which cc# number your midi controller is going to send and the VE-500 will respond to in the chosen Assign.
say CC# 30 for example.

Mode = Moment, this allows scaled selection rather than just toggling between 2 min/max values.
ACT LOW = 0,
ACT HIGH =23, if it were 127 then a cc# value of 0 to 127 would give you the range of 24 Keys evenly divided between that range,
but if ACT HIGH is set to 23, then cc# values between 0 to 23 will fit the 24 steps in the Key selection range.

Then with the midi controller sending a specific cc# value, you can precisely select the required key, all within the same patch.

So in this example:
cc# 30 with a value of 0
and so on until

Thanks Gumtown!!! You are one smart cookie!

guitarnstuff

Hey Gumtown:
I was able to try the settings however, I couldn't make anything on the VE-500 indicate that the key had actually changed. That is when I sent the CC#s from my Helix to the VE-500, the key seemed to be unresponsive and stay in C.  I'm wondering if there is another setting that I am missing?

gumtown

Helix midi out plugged to VE-500 midi in.

sometimes midi cc# can be off by '1' on various devices due to some labeling them from 0~127, or 1~128

if you Helix is set to cc# 30, then try cc# 29, 30, or 31 on the VE-500.
the VE-500 key change might not be visibly obvious, so maybe play around with cc# and Assign using a noticeable effect as an Assign target, like delay time, to test the midi side of things. 

guitarnstuff

Quote from: gumtown on August 12, 2020, 12:50:43 AM
Helix midi out plugged to VE-500 midi in.

sometimes midi cc# can be off by '1' on various devices due to some labeling them from 0~127, or 1~128

if you Helix is set to cc# 30, then try cc# 29, 30, or 31 on the VE-500.
the VE-500 key change might not be visibly obvious, so maybe play around with cc# and Assign using a noticeable effect as an Assign target, like delay time, to test the midi side of things.

Gumtown:
To verify that I was having connection, I was able to get it change presents from Bandhelper to VE500 and to turn off the Harmony effect (as noted by LED) but could not get it to turn on. Very strange. Tried to do same from Helix command center but nothing worked.  Got frustrated and had to step away for a bit.

guitarnstuff

Quote from: gumtown on August 11, 2020, 01:35:00 PM
for example
say CC# 30 for example.

ACT LOW = 0,

So in this example:
cc# 30 with a value of 0
and so on until

Thanks Gumtown!!!!!
I found out that my 5 pin MIDI cables were not properly routed which caused strange behavior for the most part. Once I got that sorted out everything feel into place. It's awesome! The Helix sends Program Change and CC messages to the Boss VE-500 and it does any trick I want to teach it!!! All by snapshots I have programmed to match the section of the song.

gumtown

Ddancers

For those that may be wondering if the Boss VE-500 is better than the T.C. Helicon VoiceLive Play or the VoiceLive Play Electric the short answer is Yes!
I just purchased the Boss VE-500 and still own the VoiceLive Play and recently sold the VoiceLive Play Electric. The Boss unit offers more control over your vocals and the quality of similar patches exceeds both of the mentioned T.C. Helicon units. I'm very surprised that there aren't any comparison video on-line yet. I'm not really a YouTuber but it's temping. One big advantage is the EQ adjustments.
Also making changes to patches on the unit screen is no difficult and there's a lot more that can be changed in real time. T.C. Helicon Units are nice units but anyone looking for a professional vocal processor will want the Boss over Helicon even though it $150 more.  Glad I took a change by purchasing the Boss, I've only had the Boss for one Day if I find any negative comparisons will post.
Also Boss 5 year warranty Helicon 3 Year.

admin

The big deal for me is size - the VE-500 is much smaller and can fit on a pedal board

jhaimerl

Hi Everyone.
I'm trying to integrate my VE-500 and Helix LT with MIDI from OnSong on my iPad.  I want to make sure when I switch songs that my correct patches are selected on both units.  I have a camera connector on my iPad and feed a USB hub. From there I have USB cables to both the Helix LT and the VE-500. I can easily switch settings on the Helix, but the VE-500 has such poor documentation. Can someone explain how I use the CC0, CC32 and PC commands to select the patch I want to use? There doesn't seem to be any document that identifies how the banks and patches are addressed. Thanks!!!!
Joe

admin

Ve500 is not USB Class Compliant =no MIDI over USB accessible via iPad

(Request Roland/Boss to offer USB Class Compliant gear

jhaimerl

Quote from: admin on December 01, 2020, 10:57:28 AM
Ve500 is not USB Class Compliant =no MIDI over USB accessible via iPad

(Request Roland/Boss to offer USB Class Compliant gear

Uggghhh.... I guess the user manual isn't clear on that either... On page 3 of the user manual, the diagram shows a USB connection to an external device and says "Use a micro USB cable to connect your computer here. This allows MIDI and audio signals to be exchanged. * Do not use a micro USB cable that is designed only for charging a device. Charge-only cables cannot transmit data."

Do you think I can use USB to the HELIX and then run a regular MIDI cable from the HELIX MIDI output connector to the VE-500? Or do you think I need a USB to MIDI converter box?

Once I use a regular MIDI cable, do you know the settings to change between the user and preset banks and how to select the desired patch?

Thanks!

admin

The Boss VE-500 USB to Computer connection suggested in the owners manual  relies on the Boss USB Driver for Win/Mac computers to be installed

Will not work with iPad

Must get a 5 pin DIN MIDI to USB adapter (Roland UM-ONE MKII) connected to a powered USB HUB to the Apple USB Camera Adapter ( assuming it's a Lightning equipped iPad

Details
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9581.0

jhaimerl

Quote from: jhaimerl on December 01, 2020, 11:07:03 AM

Once I use a regular MIDI cable, do you know the settings to change between the user and preset banks and how to select the desired patch?

Thanks!
Thanks I will get a regular MIDI cable. Does anyone know the answer to this question ^^?

gumtown

Quote from: Ddancers on August 26, 2020, 06:14:06 AM
For those that may be wondering if the Boss VE-500 is better than the T.C. Helicon VoiceLive Play or the VoiceLive Play Electric the short answer is Yes!
I just purchased the Boss VE-500 and still own the VoiceLive Play and recently sold the VoiceLive Play Electric. The Boss unit offers more control over your vocals and the quality of similar patches exceeds both of the mentioned T.C. Helicon units. I'm very surprised that there aren't any comparison video on-line yet. I'm not really a YouTuber but it's temping. One big advantage is the EQ adjustments.
Also making changes to patches on the unit screen is no difficult and there's a lot more that can be changed in real time. T.C. Helicon Units are nice units but anyone looking for a professional vocal processor will want the Boss over Helicon even though it $150 more.  Glad I took a change by purchasing the Boss, I've only had the Boss for one Day if I find any negative comparisons will post.
Also Boss 5 year warranty Helicon 3 Year.

Your findings are similar to my own experience.
I have a Boss VE-5, and the lead singer in my band has a VoiceLive Play, long story shortened, the singer now uses my VE-5, and the VoiceLive sits in a bag unused.

I am balancing on the fence as to whether should I get a VE-500, I looked at loads of Youtube reviews, and found if looking at ones testing a few brands seem heavily biased towards TC VoiceLive and it variants over any Boss unit.
If you look at "Best vocal processor for 2020" they test about 5 VoiceLive units and only the Boss VE-20, stating the Boss units are not Professional grade like VoiceLive,
that made me laugh given my real world experience with both brands.

Also the Voicelive Play has issues (not sure if just isolated to this unit) with its silicon push buttons, where I am sure they activate on their own, changing parameters by itself, its either that or the VoiceLive has a flakey memory retention of parameters.

I just wish the VE-500 had a little more control over the gate, compressor, and de-esser, instead of just one the parameter for each.
I like the midi control in the VE-500, which makes patch change a breeze when using other multi-effect boxes, and the guitar midi from my GR-55 and/or SY-1000 will help with those harmonies and vocoder.

markg

I have the VE-500 and a VoiceLive Play3. The sound of the VE-500 is better, but there are a couple of features I miss. In particular the scale options from the  VoiceLive Play. They are limited to major/minor on the VE-500 with no custom options. This seems pretty limited and I don't see a way to create a custom scale with the VE-500. Am I missing something?