GR-1 controlled by GR-55?

Started by starlessffxi, August 17, 2018, 05:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starlessffxi

Hi guys,

I picked up a GR1 recently but I cant seem to get much out of it with my Gk3 pickup.

I have seen a post on here somewhere that mentions that the GK2 pickup has a higher gain than the 3.

I'm not sure to what extent this may be, but I can only seem to trigger the D and G strings on the synth.
The other strings don't work or make crazy sounds if I pluck them super hard.

The sensitivity adjust doesn't really do much and for the strings that don't work, it wont even registry on the sensitivity to make an adjustment.

I may look into attempting to repair this thing if at all possible, but in the meantime, is it possible to control this thing via midi from my GR55 midi out? And if so, is there a newbie friendly way to set this up?

Thanks in advance.

(and for those that may be interested, i have identified 4 leaky 470uf caps near the output jacks. the rest of the board is suprisingly clean for an old unit. Also i have deoxit'ed the 13pin jack and cable end, and the pickup height on my guitar is very high, 1mm from strings or less. )

AngeloEvs

The GR 55 will send patch change messages to the GR 1,  connect a MIDI cable to the GR1 MIDI in and GR 55 MIDI out and set the GR 55 to transmit programme change data on channel 11 (assumng the GR 1 is set to the same default channel 11).   Go into EDIT then page across to SYSTEM, press enter and then cursor across to USB/MIDI and press enter.  The first tab is General,  It is the top parameter which you need to change from P1 to P11.

Next, page across to the next Tab Gtr/Midi and set the parameters as follows

Switch ON
Mode Mono
Chromatic  On (leave to Off if you prefer)
String   Ch 11
Data   Thin

The remaining parameters concern the GK Volume, Pedal, Pitch bends, S1, S2 and Ctrl pedals.     I set GK Vol and the pedal to 7 so these control the GR 1 volume,  all the others are off.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can set which GR 1 patch you would prefer to be linked to a GR 55 patch unless you have Gumtowns Floor Board Editor but using the GR 55 in default mode,  the first GR 55 patch corresponds to the first GR 1 patch (applies to Rythm, lead, Other, User modes) when you select GR 55 patch no 12 for example (bank 4 patch 3), the GR 1 will switch to patch 12.   The GR1 is organised in banks of 4 patches which can get confusing as the GR1 will change to bank 3 patch 4. 

As for the GK 3 sensitivity issue,  you really need a  GK 2a for the GR1.   Also bear in mind that the GR 55 can be set with the pick up fitted either way but the GR 1 will only function correctly with the GK pick up mounted with the cable exiting at the low E 6th string.

Your GR 1 could be faulty but the only way of really testing is to try a guitar fitted with a GK 2a.     I have and use both GR 1 and GR 55,  both my Synth enabled guitars are fitted with GK 2a pickups - problem solved.

starlessffxi

Thank you for your reply, yes this may just be the issue. I am a lefty it never even occurred to me that the pickup orientation would play a role but this makes sense.

gumtown

Quote from: starlessffxi on September 11, 2018, 01:29:11 PM
Thank you for your reply, yes this may just be the issue. I am a lefty it never even occurred to me that the pickup orientation would play a role but this makes sense.

Yes, the pickup orientation will make all the difference, the GR-55 has a setting for "reverse" pickup install,
the GR-1 does not, but if you are using the GR-1 just as a midi sound module controlled by the GR-55, then it won't matter.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/