ATG Kit Settings Manager Calibration Tips (that worked for me)

Started by utensil, August 03, 2018, 02:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

utensil

Hi any remaining ATG users, I recently did my ATG kit install

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24042.msg174769#msg174769

and initially I wasn't happy with the modeled sounds until I properly calibrated my settings which made a HUGE difference, now I am very impressed with the system and saddened that it's a discontinued product.

I wrote down the steps I followed because I'm sure in 3-4 years I'll have forgotten and sharing in case it's helpful to anyone.

ATG Calibration Tips using ATG settings manager.

The goal is to match one of the modeled sounds with a sound of a guitar it's trying to model. This will make all the models sound as intended by the original designers.

Assuming ATG is installed in a guitar for which it has a matching model (for example I installed in a Fender Stratocaster which the ATG model California single coil attempts to model)

Steps:

1. Set up the guitar as would be done if it were stock, i.e the pickup heights, intonation, saddle string heights, action etc.

2. Activate the ATG on the same model as the guitar being used. In my case I used the California single coil since my ATG in installed in a stratocaster.

3. Using the ATG settings manager set all of my pickup offset values.Set these as distance from the center of the HEX pickup to the breaking point of the string from the saddle/bridge. (These values as well as other things, change the timbre of the string as the system tries to compensate for the hex pickup and it's proximity to the bridge. Larger offset values will make the strings sound more thin and Trebly as the pickup is farther away from the bridge and needs more compensation)

4. At this point A/B the ATG modeled sound with your stock guitar sound, and compare the tone brightness by strumming open strings. Using the Global Tone Offset try and match your stock guitars brightness when the Tone knob is Maxed at 10.

5. Using the Global Output Gain and A/Bing with you're stock pickups and strumming open strings , try and match the output level of the ATG system to your stock system.

6. Now A/B each string volume between the ATG and Stock system and adjust using the String Gain Values. If you changed any value go back and repeat from step 4-6 until you are satisfied with the match of the ATG modeled sound with your stock guitar.

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

admin

Quote from: utensil on August 03, 2018, 02:03:03 AM
Hi any remaining ATG users, I recently did my ATG kit install

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=24042.msg174769#msg174769

and initially I wasn't happy with the modeled sounds until I properly calibrated my settings which made a HUGE difference, now I am very impressed with the system and saddened that it's a discontinued product.

I wrote down the steps I followed because I'm sure in 3-4 years I'll have forgotten and sharing in case it's helpful to anyone.

ATG Calibration Tips using ATG settings manager.

The goal is to match one of the modeled sounds with a sound of a guitar it's trying to model. This will make all the models sound as intended by the original designers.

Assuming ATG is installed in a guitar for which it has a matching model (for example I installed in a Fender Stratocaster which the ATG model California single coil attempts to model)

Steps:

1. Set up the guitar as would be done if it were stock, i.e the pickup heights, intonation, saddle string heights, action etc.

2. Activate the ATG on the same model as the guitar being used. In my case I used the California single coil since my ATG in installed in a stratocaster.

3. Using the ATG settings manager set all of my pickup offset values.Set these as distance from the center of the HEX pickup to the breaking point of the string from the saddle/bridge. (These values as well as other things, change the timbre of the string as the system tries to compensate for the hex pickup and it's proximity to the bridge. Larger offset values will make the strings sound more thin and Trebly as the pickup is farther away from the bridge and needs more compensation)

4. At this point A/B the ATG modeled sound with your stock guitar sound, and compare the tone brightness by strumming open strings. Using the Global Tone Offset try and match your stock guitars brightness when the Tone knob is Maxed at 10.

5. Using the Global Output Gain and A/Bing with you're stock pickups and strumming open strings , try and match the output level of the ATG system to your stock system.

6. Now A/B each string volume between the ATG and Stock system and adjust using the String Gain Values. If you changed any value go back and repeat from step 4-6 until you are satisfied with the match of the ATG modeled sound with your stock guitar.

This Calibration procedure is essential to achieve best results from the Antares ATG Guitar Modeling

As shipped from Antares, the factory default output levels  are way off, (typically way too hot / near Line Level Output ) and do not react like the instrument the Antares tech is attempting to model.

I simply used an A/B box and compared my ATG-1 output to my '61 stock strat pickup output  - the A/B box output was feeding the Guitar input on a ZT Lunchbox amp set for mild distortion

I had to drastically lower the ATG-1 output level, before it could match the output characteristics of my  '61 stock strat. Only after this procedure did the Antares ATG-1 finally provide acceptable / accurate Guitar modeling with good dynamic range. Else the ATG-1's default high output level just over drove any guitar amp input, and revealed a lot of hiss  - all tamed after I adjusted  / lowered the ATG-1 output level to match a typical electric guitar output level.  I suspect the ATG Internal Luthier kits also suffer from this same "too high output level" anomaly.

TheOreoMonster

Thanks for these tips. I have a couple questions as I try to dial in my ATG Kit. As I don't have a specific guitar thats being modeled on the ATG, (no Strat, or tele's or LP etc. in my collection) I am matching the standard hum bucker model to the guitar the kit is installed in which is a dual hum bucker guitar itself.  BTW this is a 27" baritone guitar Neck through string through body construction if it matters. I been playing baritones for a while now and like the Shuriken Variax and wanted a baritone counterpart in the ATG.
I have also gone ahead and turned up the global gain as the ATG was considerably quiet when compared to the non ATG sound. I also adjusted the scale length to match the appropriate scale length of the guitar which is now set at 686mm.
Next I plan to try the tip about using the global tone offset as the guitar does sound a bit thinner/brighter when in ATG mode. But now I am thinking should I adjust the pickup offset values? If so should I adjust them evenly or is this a case of going string by string to dial it in? Also should I try the pickup offset values first or the tone offset?
The biggest issue i am attempting to fix here is a clanking sound when palmuting. There is deffinately something wierd going on in the High Mids especially noticeable in High gain settings.
Thanks again for the info and any additional assistance you can provide.