Working on replicating Roland 24-pin cables

Started by Bratwurst, April 25, 2018, 07:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bratwurst

Can anyone who has one of the cables I've made test them with a BC-13 24-to-13 pin converter? I have a customer claim that it wasn't working on theirs but when I had the cable returned it checks out completely so far as I can see. They also claim their original cable works with the converter so...

I don't have a BC-13 much as I'd like to borrow one to dissect in person, but looking at the schematics doesn't indicate it does anything unusual with the connection points.

kslight

Quote from: Bratwurst on November 15, 2019, 10:17:48 AM
Can anyone who has one of the cables I've made test them with a BC-13 24-to-13 pin converter? I have a customer claim that it wasn't working on theirs but when I had the cable returned it checks out completely so far as I can see. They also claim their original cable works with the converter so...

I don't have a BC-13 much as I'd like to borrow one to dissect in person, but looking at the schematics doesn't indicate it does anything unusual with the connection points.

Better late than never I guess... 

But I have some of your cables and a "BX-13 Micro" (the Wayne Joness converter) and that works fine. 

As an odd addition to the "gender reassignments," my G77 bass has a female DB25 connector...so the previous owner did the conversion but did it backwards...my G707 has a male 24 pin.

Bratwurst

Quote from: kslight on April 15, 2020, 06:04:53 PM
Better late than never I guess... 

But I have some of your cables and a "BX-13 Micro" (the Wayne Joness converter) and that works fine. 

As an odd addition to the "gender reassignments," my G77 bass has a female DB25 connector...so the previous owner did the conversion but did it backwards...my G707 has a male 24 pin.

Nonetheless, thank you for that information. I'm pretty sure at this point there was something amiss with that individual's BC-13 or something else in their setup because when the cable came back, I tested it, verified it once more, then shipped it to someone else and they were happy with it.

Unfortunately I can't account for whatever modification or rewiring adventure that went on in a customer's equipment before it may have even come into their possession but returns have been rare. Maybe three or four that I can recall in the two years I've been making these...