MIDX-20 "GP-10 MIDI Bridge" - Most wanted commands?

Started by CodeSmart, March 29, 2018, 06:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

I've had some request for a GP-10 MIDI Bridge as the 8 in-built Assigns is not much.
As my time is limited I might not have time to cover everything in the GP-10 in a bridge, so...

What are the most useful (top 30 or so) GP-10 commands you would see in a CC# bridge with the GP-10?
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

beatpete

Thanks for this. Mostly I would use amp parameters, delay level and tap, EQ parameters and  FX parameters. I certainly don't need any of the modeling parameters.

admin

Agreed - For Boss GP-10 control,  Id start with the amp / FX  parameters that overlap on GT-1, use the MIDX-20 GT-1 MIDI Bridge PDF as a start.
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/MIDX_20_GT1.pdf

chappi

Here's my list - there's more than 30 but I've concentrated on amp + eq settings as they seem to be the parameters that are useful to me when setting up a patch and this would allow easier tweaking with a midi controler while playing.  My next vote would be for OSC synth parameters. FX parameters could then be left to per patch assigns. But this is from someone who doesn't play live so take it all with a big grain of salt.

Robert, would the bridge allow for having both MS-3 and GP-10 to be attached to MIDX-20? Also is there anyway we can help?

EQUALIZER***********
[Equalizer Switch] = OFF
[Filter Lo Cut] = FLAT
[100Hz Low Gain] = 0 dB
[Low Mid Gain] = 0dB
[Low Mid Freq] = 500Hz
[Low Mid Q] = 1
[High Mid Gain] = 0dB
[High Mid Freq] = 4.00k
[High Mid Q] = 1
[10kHz High Gain] = 0 dB
[Filter Hi Cut] = FLAT
[Effect Level] = 0 dB

Pre Amp***********
[Amp Switch] = ON
[Amp Gain] = 50
[Amp T-Comp] = 0
[Amp Level] = 50
[Amp Bass] = 50
[Amp Middle] = 50
[Amp Treble] = 50
[Amp Presence] = 0
[Amp Bright] = OFF
[Amp Gain Sw] = Middle
[Amp Solo Sw] = OFF
[Amp Solo Level] = 50
[Amp Direct Level] = 0

[Speaker Mic Distance] = On Mic
[Speaker Mic Position] = 5 cm
[Speaker Mic Level] = 100

NOISE SUPPRESSOR***********
[N.S. Switch] = ON
[N.S. Threshold] = 30
[N.S. Release] = 30

EQUALISER in FX Block*******************
[Filter Lo Cut] = FLAT
[100Hz Low Gain] = 0 dB
[Low Mid Gain] = 0dB
[Low Mid Freq] = 500Hz
[Low Mid Q] = 1
[High Mid Gain] = 0dB
[High Mid Freq] = 4.00k
[High Mid Q] = 1
[10kHz High Gain] = 0 dB
[Filter Hi Cut] = FLAT
[Effect Level] = 0 dB

CodeSmart

Quote from: chappi on March 29, 2018, 05:35:50 PM

Robert, would the bridge allow for having both MS-3 and GP-10 to be attached to MIDX-20? Also is there anyway we can help?

I can do both a GP-10/MS-3 build and GP-10/Katana. And no, it's not easy to assist me other than maybe in testing. But Thanks for asking.

carlb

Hi Robert,

It really is way too easy to run out of controls/assigns on the GP-10. So, great feature!!

For me, it would also be great to have bridge controllable alt tuning on/off, and to have which of the alt tunings (including "User") be assignable.

I also switch between modeled instruments within a given patch. At present, changing out the amp model and amp knob settings at the same time really stretches controls/assigns. So having those be covered by the bridge would be great!

Am I correct that present controls/assigns and patch setups would still work at the same time as the bridge controls/assigns?

Thanks so much!
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

CodeSmart

Quote from: carlb on March 30, 2018, 07:13:38 AM
Am I correct that present controls/assigns and patch setups would still work at the same time as the bridge controls/assigns?

Thanks so much!

It's difficult to eat the cake and still have it, but I can make it so only unused CC (by the bridge) is passed through, or all CC's is passed through to the GP-10 and  after thinking maybe the latter is the best option.

So If CC37 turns something on/off by the bridge it's still possible to use it for Assigns. Or?

gumtown

You should be able to use the Assigns for the regular GP10 on board stuff. So you can still have that piece of your cake.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

beatpete

Quote from: CodeSmart on March 30, 2018, 01:48:18 PM
It's difficult to eat the cake and still have it, but I can make it so only unused CC (by the bridge) is passed through, or all CC's is passed through to the GP-10 and  after thinking maybe the latter is the best option.

So If CC37 turns something on/off by the bridge it's still possible to use it for Assigns. Or?

Yes, I guess it could be confusing but not THAT confusing, Definitely ALL CC's passed to the GP-10.

carlb

If all CCs are passed, then have your GP-10 patches just ignore (i.e. you just don't setup patches to respond to) the CCs intended for the MIDX-20 ...

Can't think of any downside, except if the GP-10 is found to have problems keeping up with the MIDX-20 commands along with the additional CCs at the same time. That seems very unlikely.

It could just possibly introduce a slight but noticeable delay in settings changes on the GP-10, however. The question is how much? We typically want the perception of "NOW!" when stomping a footswitch in a gig setting.

Although you could use a CC mainly intended for the MIDX-20 to also effect a change to the GP-10 (likely toward putting together a patch more quickly), that would create some coupling which could get confusing when making changes later to GP-10 patches (i.e., causing unexpected side-effects). So maybe not absolute best practice to "share" a CC that's hardwired to a particular function in the MIDX-20 for use on the GP-10.

Hmmm. Overall, I'd say no pass through of CCs intended for the MIDX-20. Little to gain, but the possibility to lose a bit of response time ...
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

CodeSmart

Commands are scheduled and routed abt. 5.000 to 10.000 times every second inside the MIDX-20...probably faster than even you play ;)
Most delays are caused by USB 2.0 spec. (polled every 1ms) and MIDI serial transmissions (MIDI baud rate).

carlb

Quote from: CodeSmart on March 31, 2018, 10:32:33 AMCommands are scheduled and routed abt. 5.000 to 10.000 times every second inside the MIDX-20...probably faster than even you play ;)

I was called "Lightning-Licks" back as a young-gun guitarrista ... (Hopefully not anymore, hah!)

So, the extra command wouldn't slow down the MIDX-20. I seriously doubt the extra CC command to parse and dismiss would slow down the GP-10 any, either.

"No CC pass-throughs for MIDX-20 command CCs" would enforce "good patch setup practices," although that would be heavy-handed. As there might be some unforeseen benefit to allowing CCs to pass-through, I suppose the most flexible path is to "let them pass through."

Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker