VG-88 - acoustic open tunings?

Started by kulich, March 27, 2018, 10:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kulich

Still use my VG8 - and the wealth of patches available online make it even more fun.

I've been playing acoustic with a friend and decided we could migrate to the world of synthesis ... because I spotted a VG88 for a great price in a local shop.

Imagine my chagrin after I've been button pressing for a few hours trying to make acoustic open tuning patches for the VG88 to no avail - and then read in the forum just now that this can't be done at all.

Say it ain't so :)

Peter

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

kulich

OK - I'll play with it some more. Tune doesn't come up as an option with acoustics ... and I read Elantric or someone's thread earlier saying they won't.

Thanks ... resistance is futile :)

P

admin

If you have a VG-88 with firmware 2.0 and access to a Windows 7 ( or older ) PC  - there is VG-88 Veditor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=13

kulich

got it and been using it - only to switch patches and banks around.

Perhaps I'll use it to create a patch ... but I'm off to my in-laws so that will wait.

I did just check ... can't bring up a tune variable with the nylon or 12 string patches.

Feeling thick - but hurrying too. Time to relax and enjoy the drive across town :)

Thanks.

kulich

OK ... I was trying to modify existing patches and the tuning menu wouldn't come up. However, if I created a patch from scratch, Bob's my uncle :)

I am somewhat curious that no VG88 users seem to have created banks of alt tunings - like the exquisite Joni Mitchell collection for the VG8 - but I am also happy that I was able to make an acoustic open D patch so my buddy could go electric.

Thank you VG community.

Peter

admin

Quote from: kulich on March 29, 2018, 08:01:57 AM
OK ... I was trying to modify existing patches and the tuning menu wouldn't come up. However, if I created a patch from scratch, Bob's my uncle :)

I am somewhat curious that no VG88 users seem to have created banks of alt tunings - like the exquisite Joni Mitchell collection for the VG8 - but I am also happy that I was able to make an acoustic open D patch so my buddy could go electric.

Thank you VG community.

Peter

Be sure you have downloaded the VG-88 Librarian or VG-88 Organizer
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=20

And the VG-88 Patches
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=21

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6126.msg42063#msg42063

kulich

All downloaded - in fact years ago before I even owned a VG88.

And I just set up three banks for my buddy ... drop D, modal, open and a variety of acoustic instruments ...

Now I can get back to the VG8 and do the same for myself.

Thanks.

p

admin

Quote from: kulich on March 29, 2018, 10:17:14 AM
All downloaded - in fact years ago before I even owned a VG88.

And I just set up three banks for my buddy ... drop D, modal, open and a variety of acoustic instruments ...

Now I can get back to the VG8 and do the same for myself.

Thanks.

p

If you have made a bank of VG-88 alt tuning patches = feel free to upload  & share

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13341.0

kulich

As soon as I playtest them I'll do just that.

P

Brojon

Quote from: kulich on March 29, 2018, 03:13:01 PM
As soon as I playtest them I'll do just that.

P

Did this ever happen?  I'm about to embark on the same journey so it'd be nice to build on the efforts of someone who's been through it.

cvalona

So unless I can find and buy an older windows PC, I can't download the editor/librarian needed to increase the usefulness of the VG-88 ?

I'm a MAC guy period!  I hate PC's

Also, do I understand correctly that alternate tunings can not be performed for use with an acoustic guitar only an electric guitar ?

Many thanks again

Brent Flash

Quote from: cvalona on May 21, 2020, 01:17:03 PM
So unless I can find and buy an older windows PC, I can't download the editor/librarian needed to increase the usefulness of the VG-88 ?

I'm a MAC guy period!  I hate PC's

Also, do I understand correctly that alternate tunings can not be performed for use with an acoustic guitar only an electric guitar ?

Many thanks again
In my opinion you would be much better off with the VG-99 you found for $300 than a VG-88. For one thing you will be more likely to get a mac to run the editor and librarian. Another reason to get the 99 over the 88 is you are more likely to get help with the VG-99 than the VG-88 if you run into an issue.

admin

Quote from: Brent Flash on May 21, 2020, 01:22:09 PM
In my opinion you would be much better off with the VG-99 you found for $300 than a VG-88. For one thing you will be more likely to get a mac to run the editor and librarian. Another reason to get the 99 over the 88 is you are more likely to get help with the VG-99 than the VG-88 if you run into an issue.

^ Totally agree

cvalona

Thanks for the feedback and advise from everyone, Stay safe, Charles

chrish

Quote from: admin on May 21, 2020, 02:00:17 PM
^ Totally agree
I kind of agree, yea The VG99 for $300 over the 88, but the SY1000 blows the VG99 out of the water as far as sound quality goes, especially the acoustic models. And they are good right from the factory patches.

Why not just save up for the best?

bosetuno

Actually I would go for a GP10. It's an update from the VG99 closer to the sy1000 in acoustic models and it can be found for around 200 bucks

Brak(E)man

Before considering a gp-10 for alternate tuning I'd read through this

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13752.0
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

The factory steel string acoustic model patch I use in the SY1000 assigns 2 strings to one each of the 3 guitar modeling instruments blocks.

So each block (each 2 string group) is processed a little differently and adds to the total effect, especially if you do a little panning.

Step on control switch one and it becomes a 12-string

That's the beauty of a hex pickup.