Katana - Persistent v2.02 Custom Chains! - The Minion Method

Started by Elantric, January 29, 2018, 01:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

The Minion wrote>

Persistent v2.02 Custom Chains! - The Minion Method

Hi there (...and sorry for the long post, hopefully worth it for some).

I spent yesterday horsing around with the KatanaFXFloorboard and the Katana v2.02 firmware, and I have a method for keeping the custom chains persistent through power cycles and channel changes now.

It was a somewhat convoluted process but here's what I did for anyone interested, otherwise skip down for the good stuff -

I downgraded my Katana firmware to v1.02,
used an older version of KatanaFXFloorboard,
created a custom chain arrangement,
saved it to the Katana with the panel buttons,
updated the firmware to v2.02,
saw my patch still worked as intended,
opened the latest KatanaFXFloorboard,
and used the patch built under Katana firmware v1.02 as a template to build other patches within
v2.02 firmware, rearranging the chains however I wanted (with all the extra goodies v2.02
firmware provides!),
and saved these new patches with the panel buttons.​

I can power off the amp, change channels and all my custom chain orders along with sneaky amps and hidden effects with all of their respective settings stay where they were set.

I've tested this for several hours successfully, now I hope someone can try this on their Katana using the following steps to verify it works for others folks.

We won't be using BTS for this, so make sure it's not running, it just seems to screw things up. Avoid BTS for patch managing these.

The Good Stuff -

It's a little technical, may not be initially for the faint of heart. :) Get ready....

Here's a link to a set of patch files saved in MIDI format out of the latest KatanaFXFloorboard (version 20171222).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1ee31aj0g5h7tt/MinionsCustomChains.zip?dl=0

01 - Make sure your Katana is updated to the latest firmware (2.02)

02 - Open KatanaFXFloorboard (version 20171222).

03 - Switch the Katana to the B channels by long pressing the Panel button. The KatanaFXFlooboard seems to have a bug with the Channel A 1,2,3,4 and panel buttons order with what is actually selected on the Katana itself. Using the B channels just makes life easier right now.

03 - In KatanaFXFloorboard load in one of my Minion patch files. I suggest "Chopp", since I put the Slicer at the very end of the chain after the Tera Echo. It's a good test because it is obvious to the ears that the custom chain is working as intended as you will hear the Terra Echo get chopped up.

04 - MOST IMPORTANT STEP - save the patch using a panel button. If you try to write it with KatanaFXFloorboard, it won't work - at least it didn't for me.

05 - Switch back and forth between channels to see if the order of the custom chain persisted. Also, try power off the amp and seeing if it persisted after powering back up.

06 - Open KatanaFXFloorboard (version 20171222) and rearrange one of my Minion patches however you like, then save the patch using a panel button.

07 - Try step 05 again and see if it works for you.

08 - Please report back to let the world know if it worked for you or not. Thanks!

Now, why does this work. Um, I don't really know... I just had a hunch it was worth a shot, and it turns out it was! Hopefully these patches will save others some headaches and allow them to create persistent custom chains until there is an even better method.

Thank you again to gumtree for all the hard work. It's taken this amp from one I really like, to one I love. Anyone who can spare a few bucks, please throw a few his way.

Here's some screenshots and notes of my Minion Custom Chains -

TheMinion-Chopp: Has the slicer at the end after the Tera Echo and is a great way to audibly verify the custom chain is working.

TheMinion-ClnBrt: A clean patch that has a boost, after amp compressor, tremolo, tape echo and spring verb.

TheMinion-Cuda: Phaser and EQ placed near the end. Barracuda!!

TheMinion-Dream: Work that volume knob! ...and play with a light touch.

TheMinion-Echo-o: Stacked drives and stacked delays for an initial slap back, and then a looong delay that repeats the whole shebang.

Also, includes a Blank preset patch, so go hog wild!

Enjoy!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=22615.0;attach=17058