Midi cc messages

Started by sheguitarplayer, February 01, 2010, 12:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheguitarplayer

Hi
I am using the VG99 with the FC300 and an axefx.
I can get them working OK together with the FC300 in 'standard' mode.
I would like to get them to work in sysex mode as I feel the FC300 and VG99 are much better suited that way.
Trouble is, when I do this any CC messages I send from the FC300 via the VG99, to the axefx, arrive at the axefx as 'momentary' switches. I would like them to be 'latched' to enable me to switch fx on and off in the axefx. I cant see anyway of changing this on the VG99 midi implementation. Anyone tell me what Im missing?

Setup is FC300>VG99(using cat5 cable)>axefx(midi cable)

Elantric

Use the VG-99 Editor to configure FC-300 Control Assign, set to Latching Mode on the FC300.

See pic, lower right.

sheguitarplayer

Thanx for the reply Elantric.
Did that.
They work fine as 'latched' pedals within the VG99.
What exits the VG99 via the midi port is still a 'momentary' switch command. Very strange.

paults

Try this:

Rather than mapping them to a VG parameter (like in the picture), try mapping them directly to the MIDI CC number.  That may allow it to also transmit the switch status.

sheguitarplayer

Once again thanx for the reply.
No luck this way either.
Looks like I will have to give up on this idea.
I was looking for a foot controller that would work fully with the VG99 to show when cc pedals are 'live' or not, and also send latched cc commands to other gear.
I thought the FC300 would do that. Im a little surprised it doesnt.

Brent Flash

Quote from: sheguitarplayer on February 03, 2010, 09:11:14 AM
Once again thanx for the reply.
No luck this way either.
Looks like I will have to give up on this idea.
I was looking for a foot controller that would work fully with the VG99 to show when cc pedals are 'live' or not, and also send latched cc commands to other gear.
I thought the FC300 would do that. Im a little surprised it doesnt.
One more thing to try. Go into the FC300 and set the switch to latch there. Good luck!

vanceg

Quote from: Brent Flash on February 03, 2010, 09:25:35 AM
One more thing to try. Go into the FC300 and set the switch to latch there. Good luck!

This is the right approach!  When in CC mode on the FC-300 I can confirm that when the pedals are set to "latch" they send out 127 when pressed one time (and the light lights up) and 0 when pressed again (and the light goes out).  I have NOT been able to get the FC-300 to RESPOND to the same CC messages sent TO it - that is, if I have a particular pedal engaged (I pressed it on the FC-300 and it sent a CC value of 127 and it's light is lit up), I send the FC-300 the same MIDI CC number with a value of 0, the light does NOT go off on the FC-300.

But, this will likely not be an issue for you if you are using the footpedal as your control for turning effects on and off because...well.... you will be using the footpedal and not relying on some program or device to send messages TO the FC300.  I just wanted to be complete about my test so I checked out bi-directional messages.

Vance

sheguitarplayer

Thanx again for the reply Vance.
I can get it to do this fine in 'standard' mode on the fx300. This means however that both the vg99 and the axefx are connected to the fc300 using midi only.
I was hoping to do this in sysex mode (direct to VG99) in order to benefit from the advantages inherent in this approach, the vg99 sending out the midi cc messages to the axefx. There is plenty of scope within the vg99 to choose which cc messages are sent, but it seems that they are momentary ccs only.

Meltdown

I've got the same problem. CC messages when in sysex mode send out are momentary. Very annoying problem.
Visit my website!
http://www.tachyonmusic.com