GR-55 - DIY External MIDI control of GR-55 CTL Hold w/ relay

Started by justinmorell, December 25, 2017, 03:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinmorell

Anyone know if there's a MIDI CC that will turn on the hold function on the GR-55?  I tried CC64, CC66, and a few others, but none of them works.  Thanks,

Justin
justin

GR-55, VG-99

gumtown

I believe that midi control over the HOLD function is missing from the GR-55.

The best you could hope for is a midi cc# controlled foot shaped mechanical actuator to press on the GR-55 CTL footswitch.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

whippinpost91850

1 direct wired a cable to the control pedal on the GR55 and use a remote pedal to switch it, as my GR is mounted with my Kemper behind me

sixeight

You can control the CTL pedal externally through a sysex message. But I haven't tried it with the hold function yet.

I am away from home for awhile, so I can not check if it works or not and what the exact sysex message must be.

justinmorell

Thanks all for the help.  I guess there's no easy route.  I really wonder why Roland has a tendency to omit these little things from the software.  I guess you can't have everything!

Thanks again.
justin

GR-55, VG-99

sixeight

The GR55 has a lot of quirks in its firmware. And unfortunately Boss usually does not fix them.

justinmorell

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on December 25, 2017, 06:06:21 PM
1 direct wired a cable to the control pedal on the GR55 and use a remote pedal to switch it, as my GR is mounted with my Kemper behind me

Happy new year all.

I'm thinking about trying this direct wire option.  I know the basic concept, and have seen a photo of someone's direct wired version, but I have a few questions -- and I want to be especially careful that I don't ground something that shouldn't be grounded thereby bricking the unit.  I plan to use one of those plastic TS jacks to mount to the back of the unit.  I think this will keep the connection isolated, at least with respect to the unit itself.  But I would like to control the CTL button from my Boss MS-3, using the control-out jacks, with a short (far less than the recommended 10-foot limit) cable.  I am already using one of the MS-3 control-outs for my Freeze pedal, so I would need a Y-cable to run one to the Freeze and the other to the GR-55. 

So, my questions:  1.  Is there a danger of connecting the CTL button to a non-independent switch, like the MS-3, especially where the "ground" is shared by multiple units?  2. Does it matter, when wiring to the contacts of the CTL switch, which is the "hot" and which is the "ground/shield"?  I know it's easy enough to test it to see if it makes a difference, but like I mentioned before, I don't want to burn up the CPU.

Your collective expertise on such things would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Justin
justin

GR-55, VG-99

gumtown

If you are not using a hardwired simple switch, then I would consider isolating the GR-55 electronics, especially going to another unit like the MS-3 where the CTL will be grounded on the shield.
You also mention using a 'Y' cable to control another device from the same CTL switch, this will make things more susceptible to GR-55 failure.
I recommend fit an isolation device in the GR-55 (opto-isolator or old fashioned relay).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

justinmorell

Ok, thanks. I'll look into the opto isolator and see if I can handle it.
justin

GR-55, VG-99

whippinpost91850

I wired a separate switch. So I'm not sure if what you're asking will work. I have gigs so won't be able to double check for awhile.  I just soldered wires across the switch terminals and out to a jack

gumbo

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 01, 2018, 07:55:21 PM
I wired a separate switch. So I'm not sure if what you're asking will work. I have gigs so won't be able to double check for awhile.  I just soldered wires across the switch terminals and out to a jack

...planning something very similar one of these days when I get to stop long enough..   ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

justinmorell

Quote from: gumtown on January 01, 2018, 12:19:37 PM
I recommend fit an isolation device in the GR-55 (opto-isolator or old fashioned relay).
Justin Morrell wrote >
I know next to nothing about how these work, but from what I understand about an opto-coupler, I would need power to the transmit side from the GR-55.  Since the transmit side would be electronically isolated from the GR-55 CTL pedal, could I then pull the power directly from the incoming 9V DC power supply -- assuming the opto-coupler is rated for 9V?

Would something like this do the trick? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LW15D1M/ref=asc_df_B00LW15D1M5322843/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00LW15D1M&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167156423255&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6225547994649594431&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006604&hvtargid=pla-343992463804

Just a quick update.  I picked up one of those relays I linked in my previous post.  I think they're designed to be used with Arduino stuff.  Anyhow, I wired a 10k resistor across the "in" and "DC+" contacts.  I then wired my 1/4" jack to the "in" and "DC-" terminals.  I pulled 9v DC off of the internal GR-55 power right from where the power supply plugs in (had to pull the board up and wire it from underneath).  I installed the jack on the inside of the USB door, and since it's plastic it keeps the jack isolated from any ground issued within the GR-55.  Of course I also wired the "open" and "common" terminals on the relay board to the terminals at the underside of the CTL pedal.

It works great so far.  I can now trigger the GR-55 CTL pedal remotely from my Boss MS-3 amp CTRL Jack .  Thanks again for your collective input!

Justin Morrell
justin

GR-55, VG-99

basilio

SALUDOS AL FORO  UNA CONSULTA  ALGUIEN TUVIERA  PACHES DEL ROLAND CUSTOM TONE ???

billmacd

Quote from:  justinmorell
Just a quick update.  I picked up one of those relays I linked in my previous post.  I think they're designed to be used with Arduino stuff.  Anyhow, I wired a 10k resistor across the "in" and "DC+" contacts.  I then wired my 1/4" jack to the "in" and "DC-" terminals.  I pulled 9v DC off of the internal GR-55 power right from where the power supply plugs in (had to pull the board up and wire it from underneath).  I installed the jack on the inside of the USB door, and since it's plastic it keeps the jack isolated from any ground issued within the GR-55.  Of course I also wired the "open" and "common" terminals on the relay board to the terminals at the underside of the CTL pedal.

It works great so far.  I can now trigger the CTL pedal remotely from my Boss MS-3.  Thanks again for your collective input!
PICTURES, Would love to see pictures of your work Justin. Thanks!

Justin

admin

Quote from: justinmorell on January 02, 2018, 03:42:42 AM

I know next to nothing about how these work, but from what I understand about an opto-coupler, I would need power to the transmit side from the GR-55.  Since the transmit side would be electronically isolated from the GR-55 CTL pedal, could I then pull the power directly from the incoming 9V DC power supply -- assuming the opto-coupler is rated for 9V?

Would something like this do the trick? 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LW15D1M/ref=asc_df_B00LW15D1M5322843/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B00LW15D1M&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167156423255&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6225547994649594431&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006604&hvtargid=pla-343992463804

It works great so far.  I can now trigger the CTL pedal remotely from my Boss MS-3.  Thanks again for your collective input!

Justin Morrell

Same concept would allow remote control of any switch  /any pedal

here's a 4 relay board with optoisolation

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HEQF5HU/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WWHQ25ENKVJ1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BDLQB8Q/ref=pd_luc_rh_sspa_dk_huc_pt_expsub_2?psc=1

but requires a master controller with an AMP CH Switch Control Jack ( GT-1000, GT-100, Helix, Headrush, FX8, AX8