Yamaha MD-BT01 - Bluetooth MIDI LE Transmitter/Receiver

Started by BobTheDog, August 20, 2017, 10:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobTheDog

Hi Guys,

The Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth adapter works well with the ATG-1: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-MD-BT01-DBT-O1-Midi-Adaptor/dp/B01AXSYSLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503248605&sr=8-1&keywords=md-bt01

The settings manager and software manager both seem to work fine to it from my mac.

Just in case someone was looking for a cable free solution.

Cheers

Andy

cags12

Cool, thanks for the report. I am yet to test the Quicco Sound mi.1 with the Settings and Software manager in Windows and MAC.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: BobTheDog on August 20, 2017, 10:05:54 AM
Hi Guys,

The Yamaha MD-BT01 bluetooth adapter works well with the ATG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-MD-BT01-DBT-O1-Midi-Adaptor/dp/B01AXSYSLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503248605&sr=8-1&keywords=md-bt01

The settings manager and software manager both seem to work fine to it from my mac.

Just in case someone was looking for a cable free solution.

Cheers

Andy

Can you show us a connection diagram?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

QuoteCan you show us a connection diagram?

Should be the same as the QuiccoSound m.1 diagram - allows wireless ATG control using an ipad 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15748.0

GuitarBuilder

I wasn't sure if the OP was referring to ATG-1 or ATG guitar.

Elantric

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 23, 2017, 01:48:25 PM

As you know, there are various "hoops" to jump through for powering and providing power for onboard wireless MIDI BLE  for the Luthier Kit installs.

I know Eddie Clothier (Lectronx) solved the problem for Thomas Nordegg' s  guitar 

Custom Guitar with Antares ATG, Sustainiac, and wireless Line-6 audio, & wireless MIDI BLE ( using modified Quiccosound m.1) and custom Lectronx gyro enabled  / time out power controller board    - Auto powers on when picked up, and auto powers off after put down back in the guitar stand and not played for 10 minutes 

cags12

Quote from: Elantric on August 23, 2017, 02:00:14 PM
I know Eddie Clothier (Lectronx) solved the problem for Thomas Nordegg' s  guitar 

I guess I measured incorrectly. I read 22mA with my ammeter. I got this by making contact on Midi Out reference and ground. Since then I learned that current can only be measured when there is a  load. Fortunately I did not break anything :).

Nevertheless, I am still wondering why I got that reading. The value kind of made sense. I must get my mi.1 and simply try.

A possible solution I presume a small voltage regulator from the battery?

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: cags12 on August 23, 2017, 03:02:44 PM
I guess I measured incorrectly. I read 22mA with my ammeter. I got this by making contact on Midi Out reference and ground. Since then I learned that current can only be measured when there is a  load. Fortunately I did not break anything :).

Nevertheless, I am still wondering why I got that reading. The value kind of made sense. I must get my mi.1 and simply try.

A possible solution I presume a small voltage regulator from the battery?

You were reading this with the ATG board attached?  If so, that is the current supplied by the board from 5V through a 220 Ohm resistor to that pin (equals 22.7 mA).

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 23, 2017, 03:17:16 PM
You were reading this with the ATG board attached?  If so, that is the current supplied by the board from 5V through a 220 Ohm resistor to that pin (equals 22.7 mA).

I was indeed, ATG turned On of course. I compared then with the reading I got on the MIDI out of my M-Audio interface (also ~22mA). However, the At-200B breakout box did NOT show any reading at all on its MIDI out port.

The only thing to note is that I did this on my Peavey AT-200 with DSP3. I was a bit afraid to do it on my Luthier kit.

If you already have the mi.1 and a Y cable. Could you give it a try? I think I read you also have an At-200 for comparison.

BobTheDog

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 23, 2017, 01:48:25 PM

Sorry, I was talking about the ATG-1.

I have updated the original post to make this more clear.

Cheers

Andy

cags12

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on August 23, 2017, 03:17:16 PM

Quote from: cags12 on August 23, 2017, 03:25:37 PM
If you already have the mi.1 and a Y cable. Could you give it a try? I think I read you also have an At-200 for comparison.

GuitarBuilder - Just wondering if you have given it a try?. After our last posts it would seem it should work.

Vaultnaemsae

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

I picked one of these up yesterday. Anybody else using it?

Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Vaultnaemsae

I posted a couple of times regarding an issue with the PUC+ and bi-directional wireless/BT MIDI in this thread last year.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15697.msg128884#msg128884

I gave up on that device based on Elantric/Admsustainiac's informed responses (referencing Quicco M.1 and PUC experiences) and sold the PUC+ and stuck with cabled solutions.

But I picked up a similar Yamaha BT MIDI LE transmitter/receiver device on a whim yesterday (MD-BT01) and went back to trying to get an FAMC LF+ foot controller to talk to an Axe-FX II/MacBook setup with some (but not complete) success. When I hit a problem I searched this forum only to find my own posts! I'd forgotten about the issues with the PUC+ that I'd had all that time ago. Losing my memory! Anyway, the problem is the same -- Realtime Sysex commands with the LF+/Axe-FX don't work!

Patch changes, Expression Pedals, Scenes and most Instant Access switches are working. But the following are not working:
- Flashing Status Light / BPM Tap Tempo indicator (LF+) gone;
- Tap Tempo Switch doesn't work at all remotely (LF+);
- Looper Functions don't work properly (Don't Sync i.e. if I hit record a 2nd time it usually triggers playback but this has stopped working);
- Tuner doesn't display (on LF+) when activated from the FX processor's front panel.

Noting that there may be no such thing as true bi-directional WiFi/BT MIDI in iOS (OSX too?), well, why not? Is it difficult/impossible to implement?

I've routed everything using MIDI utilities and I've tweaked things in Ableton Live to try to get this to work but no cigar.

Any ideas from the brains trust?

Actually this device is now very good, reliable, fully functional. Yamaha gave me a new one after the last got bricked a few years back.

The issues I mentioned in the past were actually related to the Axe-Fx II not passing usable MIDI OUT over it's USB port. Therefore, the SYSEX messages do not get transmitted properly and I had assumed that was an issue with the MD-BT01 device but it's not. If you introduce DIN MIDI I/O into the mix you restore it's MIDI OUT capbility and then the MD-BT01 performs seamlessly.

I feel bad for not updating this but I had forgotten about the older inaccurate post.

whippinpost91850

I started using one of these a couple of months ago on my Kemper because my Quicco quit working. Works very good for my use

GuitarBuilder

cags12

Quote from:  whippinpost91850 on October 13, 2017, 01:08:16 PM
I started using one of these a couple of months ago on my Kemper because my Quicco quit working. Works very good for my use

I wonder if you are willing to open up your Quicco and post some pictures now that it quit working? It would be a great help to something I have planned to do.

whippinpost91850

I will try and get some time tomorrow and see If I can do that

cags12

Quote from:  whippinpost91850 on October 14, 2017, 11:28:41 AM
I will try and get some time tomorrow and see If I can do that
Cool thanks.

I am mostly interested in seeing if the OUT connector (the one that does not have the led) has any special circuitry or if it is simply a breakout to a separate 5 Pin DIN connector. I want to get rid of this connector to save space inside my guitar and intercept the wire for the MIDI IN functionality. Do I make sense?

On the IN connector, I am also interested in seeing if the pin outs of the DIN connector can be re-arranged to match the 8 Pin connector of the ATG.

From looking at some vague pictures I have found online, I believe it is possible. 

whippinpost91850

I'm curious as to what is inside as well. I think the wire may have become broken internally on mine, because of the way I have the Kemper mounted it forces the wire to bend sharply

cags12

Very likely, you could even attach a new longer cable if that was the problem.

Vaultnaemsae

A warning to any users of the Yamaha MD-BT01: Be very careful if you open the iOS firmware updater.

I opened the iOS app to check the device was connecting properly and it prompted me to restore the firmware. The app has however flashed the UD version of the firmware to the unit - it is now a brick.

Yamaha support are not helping. Also, the iOS app is no longer in the app store.

Ugggh  >:(

tracy

I have several instruments with MIDI IN and OUT, but no THRU. Is it possible to use the BT01 in the MIDI chain? I want to have access to all instruments wirelessly from an iPad?
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: tracy on September 03, 2020, 08:43:12 PM
I have several instruments with MIDI IN and OUT, but no THRU. Is it possible to use the BT01 in the MIDI chain? I want to have access to all instruments wirelessly from an iPad?

What do you mean?

whippinpost91850

Depending on what you are using you can run the midi as a loop. I do this with my Kemper Stage and GR55
It works flawlessly