Cycfi - ChlorineMist's Hex PU sonic excursions

Started by chlorinemist, April 26, 2017, 10:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanceg

Quote from: aliensporebomb on August 08, 2017, 01:20:08 PM
A very expensive but very desirable box - and with a lots of cool esoteric toys - super nice.  Your setup is amazing! 

I really want to play with an H8000 or an H9000.  But even used they're quite spendy.

But my cheap workaround is I use the pitch transposer the VG-99 in conjunction with effects to create H8000-like sounds:

Example - VG-99 with custom patch into Strymon Big Sky Reverb direct to board:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/mondoshawan-visit

If I can get bigger more expansive sounds with one of the H8K/H9K I'd love to go for it.   

I totally agree that the VG-99 is WILDLY capable and I can absolutely understand wanting to just stick with that.  I'm sure as heck considering it the core of my rig for the immediate future.  I'm really interested in experimenting with more hex effects than I can on the VG series.  That's really my main drive to move to the H9K and to move away from the frequency limited sound of the GK-3 pickups....  But yeah, I agree, no NEED to go beyond the VG-99 for a lot of amazing sounds!!!  The H9K will be pretty expensive (so in an AxeFX), but who knows what the future will bring.  If we can get some more useful hex effects out there, perhaps we can help build momentum for future products from many companies.

aliensporebomb

Well, I did some looking for an H8K yesterday and there are a number from about $3500 to around $5000.
My thought is: when the 9000 drops (as expensive and capable as it is) an 8000 might drop to a little more affordable price range.

Still, what a monstrous box!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chlorinemist

Quickly getting a hang of the Repeater. Using it in conjunction with the EDP+, MoFX, Filter Factory, 6Appeal and the rest of the rig has revealed yet another universe of power and potential. It leads me on endless journeys... My new clip for today heavily features all three electrix units in action. I think it's probably the most Wizardly of all my demonstrations so far. It's 32 minutes however and builds gradualy, so skip around if you lack patience

https://soundcloud.com/chlorinemist/penance/s-szf1G

thebrushwithin

mooncaine

vanceg

ZOINKS! 

And, yeah - Looks kinda circular but that gives it some serious flexibility. That's kind of an insanely insane rig.

Quote from: chlorinemist on July 09, 2017, 02:22:52 PM

chlorinemist

Just moved all my shallow rack pieces into a 12U caseless rack in an effort to increase portability. Basically I wanted a grab'n'go audio looping sidecar that fits in the passenger seat of my sedan. Turned out pretty nice!

vanceg

Good thing you got that rig to be "portable"....  :)

chlorinemist

Added a complete 13-pin DIN FX loop to my Nexus. 1st DIN goes to 6Appeal, 6Appeal 13pin out goes to the return DIN on Nexus. This converts the 13 pin connection back to 1/4" TRS, allowing me to use the the jacks on the back of Nexus to send the string outs, post-6Appeal, to the H8000FW.

Works great! Drilling took about 15 minutes. Wiring literally took about 10 seconds.

vanceg

Quote from: Smash on May 25, 2017, 07:24:28 AM
Wow - that's nuts! Culminates in sounding like some massive, harmonised monster synth cello section at the end - that hex distortion is really interesting! The hex distortion on VG99 I found totally uninspiring...

Play with it some more!  Change the type and the mix of Hex and Drive.  There are some amazing tones in there!

jim-analog

Greetings,

It seems the sound demo below is no longer available; any chance you could re-post it somewhere? Great studio set up you have, good job getting all that together!

I'm very interested in the 6Appeal, but have heard the interface to get into the deeper functions is not too good and also there were some issues involving MIDI control of the envelopes. An thoughts you have on that?

I've listened to some of your material on Soundcloud and really like it; thanks for putting it out there.
Lastly, what are the blue pedals on pedal board on the floor? Thanks much!

Regards, Jim

Quote from: chlorinemist on May 25, 2017, 06:58:55 AM
You're in luck! I just recorded a lil demo of my rig, just before I read  your post. Here's the link:
https://soundcloud.com/chlorinemist/sketch-52517/s-ozOZq

Starts with my dry sound, then I stack fx one at a time in various combos, then I turn them back off again at the end