Roland GO:MIXER / GO:MIXER PRO - Audio Interface / Mixer for Smartphones

Started by Elantric, January 05, 2017, 08:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Q & A IN "GO: MIXER"
http://faq-jp.roland.com/category/show/9672
【GO: MIXER】 Q. Center cancellation does not start
ANSWER
The center cancellation function of GO: MIXER can only use the center cancellation function for sound input from "LINE IN 1" of the main unit.

* When the CENTER CANCEL switch is set to ON, the center cancellation function is enabled.
* Musical instruments and vocals that are not ringing in the center may not be perfect karaoke.
※ Center cancellation function is not applied to sound input from a terminal other than LINE IN 1 or USB.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can I connect to USB Type-C and use it?
ANSWER
GO: MIXER does not perform operation verification with USB Type-C, it is outside the operation guarantee.

※ There is no guarantee of operation when using a commercially available conversion cable.

If you are using GO: MIXER  , please check the model of GO: MIXER x smartphone operation confirmation information .
https://www.roland.com/jp/products/gomixer/support/

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can I use it as a single mixer without using a smartphone?
ANSWER
It becomes outside the operation guarantee.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can I use a commercially available USB AC adapter?
ANSWER

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can you use USB mobile battery?
ANSWER

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can the USB connection terminal be used with TYPE-C smartphone?
ANSWER

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can I use it on Windows PC or Mac?
ANSWER

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Sound quality changes, such as the sound of the vocal of the equipment input to LINE IN 1 becoming unable to be heard extremely, it sounds.
ANSWER
Turning CENTER CANCEL off may improve it.

[GO: MIXER] Q. When recording, the PEAK indicator will light up. What is the standard for setting the optimum recording level?
ANSWER
Adjust the volume level so that the PEAK indicator glows for a moment when you play with the biggest sound.

[GO: MIXER] Q. Noises will appear in the playback sound.
ANSWER
If you do not connect the microphone or guitar / bass, turn on the microphone or guitar / bass volume control
Turn to the left to lower the volume level.

[GO: MIXER] Q. Noises will appear on the microphone sound.
ANSWER
If you raise the microphone volume level too much, noise may be conspicuous.
Please try lowering the volume level of the microphone by singing as close as possible to the microphone.
In addition, noise may be reduced by using a sensitive microphone.

【GO: MIXER】 GO: Q. Playing the sound recorded by MIXER makes the playback sound smaller than when recording.
ANSWER
Although the sound volume at playback may be smaller than at the time of recording, it is not a malfunction of GO: MIXER.

[GO: MIXER] Q. You can not adjust the volume level even if you manipulate the volume of the iOS device connected to USB.
ANSWER
If you connect via USB, you will not be able to operate the iPhone / iPad volume.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can I use the included USB cable with products other than GO: MIXER?
ANSWER
It becomes outside the operation guarantee. Please do not use the included USB cable except for connection with GO: MIXER.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can I use a commercially available USB cable?
ANSWER
It becomes outside the operation guarantee. Please use the supplied USB cable.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. Can you connect the electric bass directly or not?
ANSWER
You can connect. The GUITAR / BASS pin corresponds to high impedance input.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. I want to know about the Android models compatible with the USB-OTG function.
ANSWER
Sorry to trouble you, please contact your Android device manufacturer or carrier.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. What kind of microphone can be used?
ANSWER
You can use a dynamic microphone with standard phone plug.
Phantom power method, plug-in · power method condenser · microphone can not be used.
It can be used if it is a condenser / microphone of a method of supplying power by the self contained battery.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. What is the center cancellation function?
ANSWER
You can mute sounds (such as vocals, guitar solos, etc.) that are ringing in the center of stereo sounds, such as music CDs.
It is useful for karaoke and guitar practice.
* Depending on the stereo sound, it may not be able to mute adequately.

【GO: MIXER】 Q. What kind of video shooting application or voice recording application can be used?
ANSWER
You can use standard OS movie recording and voice recording application.
* We do not guarantee the operation of all applications.
For GO: MIXER compatible applications, please check the following URL.
http://roland.cm/gomixercp

【GO: MIXER】 Q. What type of smartphone can you use?
ANSWER
Operating condition of Android device: USB micro B type connection terminal, USB - OTG function supported, OS: Android 6.0
Operating condition of iOS device: Lightning connection terminal, OS: iOS 10
For GO: MIXER compatible models, please check the following URL.
http://roland.cm/gomixercp

----

GO:MIXER FAQ
Q:Which smartphones are compatible with GO:MIXER?
A:
Android smartphones and iPhones which meet following requirements:
- Android device: Micro USB type-B port, USB-OTG function supported, Android OS 6.0
- iOS device: Lightning port, iOS 10
For the specific models, please refer to the following URL.
GO:MIXER Smartphone Compatibility

Q:Which Android smartphones support USB-OTG function specifically?
A:
Please consult the manufacturers of the Android device.
* Regarding USB-OTG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go

Q:Which apps can be used for recording audio via GO:MIXER?
A:
Standard apps which come with the OS for recording video and audio (please refer to the following URL).
Not all apps are warranted for full function with GO:MIXER.
* It is not possible to monitor existing tracks through GO:MIXER while recording a new performance.
GO:MIXER Smartphone Compatibility

Q:What is the CENTER CANCEL function at LINE IN 1 input?
A:
If you connect an audio player to LINE IN 1 input and play back music with the CENTER CANCEL switch set to ON, the audio elements located at the center of the stereo audio mix such as lead vocal and guitar solo can be minimized. This is useful for karaoke, guitar practice, etc. (Some audio elements may not be cancelled clearly depending on how they are mixed in the original recording.)

Q:What type of microphone can be used?
A:
Dynamic microphone with 1/4 inch phone plug.
Condenser microphones requiring phantom power or plug-in power supply are not supported. Self battery-powered condenser microphones may work.

Q:On GO:MIXER, can I mix my singing/playing with the playback from the smartphone connected to GO:MIXER via USB, and record them into the smartphone via USB at the same time?
A:
No.

Q:Can I connect electro-acoustic guitar or electric bass directly to GO:MIXER?
A:
Yes. The GUITAR/BASS input is designed for high-impedance signals, such as those from string instruments equipped with a pickup.

Q:Can I use any USB cable in the market?
A:
No. Please use the USB cable bundled with GO:MIXER.

Q:Can I use the USB cable bundled with GO:MIXER for other devices?
A:
We only warrant the included USB cable for use with GO:MIXER.

Q:I mixed my performance on GO:MIXER and recorded to the smartphone via USB, then played back the result on the smartphone and checked via MONITOR OUT on GO:MIXER, but the volume is lower than when I recorded.
A:
The difference between performance volume on GO:MIXER and playback volume from smartphone is normal. This is not a malfunction of GO:MIXER. Please adjust the MASTER OUT knob for the appropriate volume for monitoring.

Q:Noise is generated on the input signal from MIC input.
A:
Noise may be generated if the MIC volume knob is turned up. It may be improved by singing/playing closer to the microphone or using a microphone with better sensitivity and adjusting the MIC knob to a lower level.

Q:Noise is generated.
A:
If a microphone or guitar/bass is not connected to GO:MIXER, turn the knobs of MIC or GUITAR/BASS down to minimum level.

Q:PEAK indicator keeps turning on when recording. Is the level set correctly?
A:
If the PEAK indicator light, the level is too high. Use the knobs to adjust the levels of MIC, GUITAR/BASS and INSTRUMENT so that the PEAK indicator illuminates only at the moment you play/sing at the maximum volume.

Q:Sound quality of the vocal or other instruments played from the device connected to LINE 1 input on GO:MIXER is strange or cannot be heard well.
A:
Please make sure the CENTER CANCEL switch at LINE 1 input is OFF.

admin

http://cdm.link/2018/07/your-smartphone-needs-a-pocket-mixer-roland-gomixer-pro-review/

Compact enough to make the compact TR-09 behind it look huge. From left: inputs for guitar/bass (high impedance), plug-in mic (like a lapel mic), phantom power switch (needed for some microphones to function), and a full XLR-1/4″ combo jack for a mic – that last one is why it's got the big bulge.

Various products will let you connect and record instruments, or serve as more practical sound recording solutions for video shoots.

But what about the scenarios where you have a send of sound toys, synths and drum machines, instruments and microphone, or even different gadgets (like a jam session with a couple of iPads or a couple of fun phone apps)?

That's where the Go:Mixer Pro comes in. It's a stereo in/stereo out interface to phones and smartphones and computers, but it's also a mixer. (It's a standalone mixer, too, and you might even wind up using it just as much as that.)

You can connect and mix multiple inputs (9 channels in, 2 channels out):

Two 1/8″ stereo line inputs (for other mobile gadgets, a drum machine, a synth, whatever)
Two 1/4″ instrument inputs (two mono or one stereo pair)
Guitar/bass instrument 1/4″ jack input
Minijack plug-in mic (for a lapel mic, etc.)
One XLR/jack combo mic connection with phantom power
That's the domain normally of ultra-small Behringer mixers and ... not much else beyond that. Depending on the gear you're using and whether you want mono and stereo connections, that's somewhere between four and six independent sources.

For line output, there's just the stereo minijack labeled monitor output, though I did connect it to my studio mixer as well as studio headphones.

But there's also a USB connection round the back. So the Go:Mixer Pro is also a 48K/16-bit stereo audio interface – you get two channels of input and two channels of output.

Front jacks – those are actually two separate inputs (each stereo) on the right.

USB means out-of-the-box support for computers and Android (OTG) phones and so on, a well as Raspberry Pi and other goodies. For iOS, Roland also supports "Made for iPhone" and includes a Lightning cable, so you get seamless operation with iPhones and iPads.

This isn't a multichannel audio interface, only stereo, but that still fits many use cases – like recording gigs and jam sessions.

While it's billed as a phone accessory, the mixer also works standalone – so you can just use that USB jack for power, via the dongle you already have for your phone or other gadget.

Three cables are included, for each possible device.

Form factor
Roland has packed this mixer/interface into a tiny form factor. The footprint is only about as deep as the iPhone 6 is tall. And it's fairly slim, apart from a big bulge at the back to house the XLR combo jack and a battery compartment.

The batteries come in handy – you'll need them to use the mixer standalone without USB power plugged in, if you want to avoid drawing power from your phone, or if you want to use a mic with phantom power with your iPhone. (Android phones will let you draw battery from the phone for phantom power; Apple are ... more protective.)

Roland has included all the necessary cables in the box – USB-C, Micro USB, and Apple Lightning connections. That covers just about any computer or external power or Android or Apple phone.

But that cute little tabletop format is awfully useful. Yes, it's marketed for smartphones, but you could also connect a Roland TR-8S, TB-03, and SH-01A to this little gadget for some on-the-go acid techno.

One constructive criticism to Roland on out-of-box experience: since this is geared for beginners, it's a shame the box comes with no batteries and only a sheet pointing to a website in place of a copy of the (very friendly) short manual. Also a bit puzzling as they try to reach newbies: there are graphical icons on the top panel (a keyboard! a guitar!), but text labels on the connections ("instrument?").

How it works
Operation is really plug-and-play. There's not much feedback on level apart from a tiny "PEAK" light, but that's okay — there are big, easy-to-see knobs.

Routing is rudimentary, but there's a useful LOOP BACK switch – this records video while looping audio from your phone back into the device. Roland suggests doing this when you want to "play back music" while shooting video, but obviously it's useful for production applications, as well.

LOOP BACK function: With LOOP BACK set to on, you route the full mix, with the monitor out level, back to the input of your device (over USB), combined with playback from the device. With it off, you only get the mix, not the playback of your device – so you can record to a DAW app or use the whole setup for layering multitrack recordings.

And in case you forgot Roland is a Japanese company, there's a karaoke mode. A center cancel feature is designed to remove vocals so you can host your own karaoke night.

Roland also makes Android and iOS devices intended for shooting video, though any audio device-aware application will also make good use of the hardware.

Here's what's really important: the thing sounds really good. The mic pre and mix circuitry is transparent – I tried it with a couple of higher-end condenser mics and had no qualms inserting the mixer in my studio signal chain. Mic pre, input circuitry, everything is fine. (I haven't had it long enough to test the guitar in, but I'll guess it ... works.) I have heard complaints about some other compact gadgets and the non-Pro mixer from Roland, but this one is fine – and that for me is reason to spend the sticker price. I'd rather buy one $170 gadget I get a lot of use out of rather than three that are disposable and flawed.

And that's what sets this and some other recent mobile gear apart. It's consumer-friendly, yes — but there's no reason you can't use this as a serious studio tool, as well. And that's how it should be.

Key specs:
Runs on USB or 4xAAA batteries or your phone
170 mA power draw
Size: 104 x 155 x 41 mm, 220 g (that's 8 oz)

Street price: USD$169.99 – okay, that'll turn some people off, but frankly I'm glad to have a quality, quiet mixer

https://www.roland.com/global/products/gomixer_pro/

$125 @ B&H

Go to 22:00 for Android recording with N-Track Studio 9 DAW (Android)
Go to 23:20 for recording with Adobe Audition CC  DAW (macOS)

Use Translate
http://faq-jp.roland.com/category/show/9761?site_domain=default

Its 16 bit @ 48K on Windows

Inside GO:MIXER PRO

Elantric

Make YouTube Videos w/ Stereo Sound from your Guitar MFX on Android using  Roland GO:MIXER Pro
https://itunes.apple.com/app/virtual-stage-camera/id1382486902?mt=8

Virtual Stage Camera iOS/Android App   Virtual Stage CameraIOSANDROID
SHOOT YOUR VIDEO AND TOUR THE WORLD – FROM THE COMFORT OF YOUR HOME
If you've always wanted to headline a famous music festival or take your music around the world, then grab your smartphone and get creative. Roland's Virtual Stage Camera is a free iOS/Android app that lets you remove the background from your own performance video and replace it with movie footage or stills from your smartphone, all while shooting in real-time. You can also instantly create videos with blue/greenscreen backgrounds, for use in video editing apps that can handle superimposing. The Virtual Stage Camera app is a great way to make fun, attractive videos, especially when used alongside the GO:MIXER PRO audio mixer for smartphones.

Virtual Stage Camera is a free download from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android), and can produce videos up to 30 seconds in length. Produce longer videos by upgrading to the full version via a small in-app purchase, or by connecting a GO:MIXER or GO:MIXER PRO.

Shoot your video and tour the world – from the comfort of your home

If you've always wanted to headline a famous music festival, or take your music around the world, then grab your smartphone and get creative. Roland's Virtual Stage Camera is a free iOS app that lets you remove the background from your own performance video and replace it with movie footage or stills from your smartphone in real-time. You can also instantly create videos with blue/greenscreen backgrounds, for use in video editing apps that can handle superimposing. The Virtual Stage Camera app is a great way to make fun, attractive videos, especially when used alongside the Roland GO:MIXER PRO audio mixer for smartphones.

Virtual Stage Camera is a free download from the App Store, and can produce videos up to 30 seconds in length. Produce longer videos by upgrading to the full version via a small in-app purchase, or by connecting a Roland GO:MIXER or GO:MIXER PRO.

Features

•   Replace the background from your videos with content from your smartphone, while shooting in real-time

•   Produce blue/greenscreen videos instantly, ready for transfer to video editing apps like Apple iMovie

•   Free version produces videos up to 30 seconds long

•   Small in-app purchase required for full functionality, including production of longer videos

•   Full functionality also accessible when connected to GO:MIXER or GO:MIXER PRO

The world (and beyond) is your stage

If you're shooting a video on your smartphone, you can replace the background with your favorite movie or image. Just select your preferred movie or image from your smartphone, and then let the app recognize the 'real life' current background (your bedroom wall, for example). Once you start recording your performance in real-time, your chosen 'new' background movie or image will appear behind you – so you could be fronting your favorite band, touring the world, or even playing on the moon.

Instantly produce blue or green screen background video

The Virtual Stage Camera app allows you to produce blue and green screen video instantly, which lets you replace the original background with a new, more exciting one while shooting in real-time. Once the blue/green screen is added, transfer the file to any editing software with superimposing capability, and take your production to the next level.

- Please hold your iOS device with using stand or tripod while shooting.

- If the preview of composition is blinking, please choose smaller frame rate in the setup.

- When you use with GO:MIXER PRO / GO:MIXER, please connect it before launching the app.

https://www.provideocoalition.com/

alexmcginness

This looks good but hasnt got great reviews. Here one review from the site...

"Works for 30 seconds only
And I don't mean just because I have the free version because I want to head and bought this but I found out that after recording for longer than 30 seconds the green screen effect begins to fade and you see your original background gradually come back in till there's no green screen effect whatsoever it's kind of useful for doing some weird stuff but if you wanted to make an actual Green Screen with it at this point it really does not work maybe I'll keep working on it and get it to work but I don't recommend it at this point it doesn't really do what it claims to d and I don't mean just because I had the free version because I wanna head and bought this but I found out that after recording for longer than 30 seconds the green screen effect begins to fade and you see your original background gradually come back in till there's no green screen effect whatsoever it's Kaina useful for doing some weird stuff but if you wanted to make an actual Green Screen with it at this point it really does not work maybe will keep working on it and get it to work but I don't recommend it at this point it doesn't really do what it claims to do"
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Quote from: alexmcginness on April 04, 2019, 03:16:13 PM
This looks good but hasnt got great reviews. Here one review from the site...

"Works for 30 seconds only
And I don't mean just because I have the free version because I want to head and bought this but I found out that after recording for longer than 30 seconds the green screen effect begins to fade and you see your original background gradually come back in till there's no green screen effect whatsoever it's kind of useful for doing some weird stuff but if you wanted to make an actual Green Screen with it at this point it really does not work maybe I'll keep working on it and get it to work but I don't recommend it at this point it doesn't really do what it claims to d and I don't mean just because I had the free version because I wanna head and bought this but I found out that after recording for longer than 30 seconds the green screen effect begins to fade and you see your original background gradually come back in till there's no green screen effect whatsoever it's Kaina useful for doing some weird stuff but if you wanted to make an actual Green Screen with it at this point it really does not work maybe will keep working on it and get it to work but I don't recommend it at this point it doesn't really do what it claims to do"

IMHO Much of that is "pilot error"
by default the Android App only runs 30 seconds  - unless:

A: Genuine Roland Go:Mixer/ Go:Mixer PRO is attached 

or:

B: The User Pays a fee  to unlock the app

QuoteVirtual Stage Camera is a free download from the App Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android), and can produce videos up to 30 seconds in length. Produce longer videos by upgrading to the full version via a small in-app purchase, or by connecting a GO:MIXER or GO:MIXER PRO.

I used with my LG V20 phone w/ Roland GO:Mixer  to make this video with stereo sound from Ampero

Ampero Noise Fix #1 - loosen Vol Pot Hex Nut

admin

Quote from: TheBuffalo, post: 30214560, member: 1342524x won't work. I have one iPad and that's it.

READ the app specs - creates split screen videos using only ONE iPad -and allows overdubbing and resynch

https://www.roland.com/global/products/4xcamera/

Capture and Publish Multi-Layered Music Performances Using Your Phone or Tablet
Using 4XCAMERA on your device, it's quick and simple to create split-screen videos of original music and cover songs all by yourself, and you never have to hassle with a complicated video editing program. After you've finished shooting, just select one of the 10 split-screen patterns, adjust volumes for each video, trim the beginning and end as needed, and then render a final file for sharing on YouTube and other social media sites.
[MEDIA=youtube]2HJLSewkI3U[/MEDIA]