Boss V-BDN ( VG Strandberg) V-Guitar

Started by Elantric, January 19, 2017, 12:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

I like the appeal of alt tuning @ the guitar running into external processing
The omission of 13 pin out is less of an issue because of this
I would still really like the option of a 'user' custom slot on there though

merman93

The Strandberg is an exceptional guitar, and it remains exceptional across the entire range, from the product manufactured in Asia, all the way to top end customs , ( which at one point were manufactured in the same facility as the Adrian Belew Signature Parker).

Strandberg has a reputation of constantly improving all aspects of their line, which I believe is neither good nor bad, just an observation. Their tremolo system has gone through many revisions, and I believe every one of the revisions has been available for purchase. It has utilized knife edges, ball bearing, and possibly back to knife edges,  as the fulcrum points. The latest release seems to have deleted one of more interesting features,..a selectable stiffness in the system, by selecting one of several pivot points.

Strandberg is one of the few manufacturers who's designs are basically " open source", which allows other designers to utilize/ improve on his designs, as long as they keep the resulting design open source as well. Hey, I'm not a lawyer, but I think I have that concept correct, please correct me if I missed something.

My one minimal concern with using a gk hex on a Strandberg is the distance from the string saddle to the hex pickup. It seems to me it may be a bit more distance than on standard strat trems, especially on heavier string, low E, A. However, the latest tremolo design I have seen from  Strandberg seems to have very minimal to no string raising when lowering the pitch, which assists the gk system with tracking.

Since the first time I plugged a G505 into a gr-300 back in 1981, I realized that having a guitar that I was comfortable playing with made so much difference. They have improved a lot, but I couldn't really imagine playing an entire set with a Fender Roland Ready, but, I probably could do it with a Strandberg.

I'm not that concerned about 13 pin. Battery life I'm concerned with.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Headless68

The new trem does support different trem feel & you are correct it's back to knife edge but reverse of floydd style, the knife is part of the pivot not the bridge so easy to swap out if you wear it out

Elantric

abhijitnath

Quote from: merman93 on January 23, 2017, 08:26:06 AM
The Strandberg is an exceptional guitar, and it remains exceptional across the entire range, from the product manufactured in Asia, all the way to top end customs , ( which at one point were manufactured in the same facility as the Adrian Belew Signature Parker).

Strandberg has a reputation of constantly improving all aspects of their line, which I believe is neither good nor bad, just an observation. Their tremolo system has gone through many revisions, and I believe every one of the revisions has been available for purchase. It has utilized knife edges, ball bearing, and possibly back to knife edges,  as the fulcrum points. The latest release seems to have deleted one of more interesting features,..a selectable stiffness in the system, by selecting one of several pivot points.

Strandberg is one of the few manufacturers who's designs are basically " open source", which allows other designers to utilize/ improve on his designs, as long as they keep the resulting design open source as well. Hey, I'm not a lawyer, but I think I have that concept correct, please correct me if I missed something.

My one minimal concern with using a gk hex on a Strandberg is the distance from the string saddle to the hex pickup. It seems to me it may be a bit more distance than on standard strat trems, especially on heavier string, low E, A. However, the latest tremolo design I have seen from  Strandberg seems to have very minimal to no string raising when lowering the pitch, which assists the gk system with tracking.

Since the first time I plugged a G505 into a gr-300 back in 1981, I realized that having a guitar that I was comfortable playing with made so much difference. They have improved a lot, but I couldn't really imagine playing an entire set with a Fender Roland Ready, but, I probably could do it with a Strandberg.

I'm not that concerned about 13 pin. Battery life I'm concerned with.

They used to be open source till last year. They no longer are, and they're also not available for sale any more. Not a dig, they just haven't been able to keep up with the success of their products, I believe.

I had a small role in their design, too: back in 2010 when ola was blogging about his prototype term, I had mailed him asking him to make it Lefty friendly. That's when the symmetrical design started- it only had a hole on the right side originally.

hippietim

I hate those necks.  And the idea of yet another limited V-Guitar with no hex out is absurd to me. 

Headless68

I had another thought on the 'prototype wish list'
USB midi out from the guitar - the GP-10 does a good job of pitch to midi so that tech in here would be useful and make the instruments appeal widen

jwhitcomb3

A guitar with built-in processing has a short usefulness window. But the 13-pin interface seems to be near end-of-life. Either way, this product would have a very small niche.

Elantric

Ola Strandberg indicated for this model he hoped to employ a "Virtual Jeff" type tremolo arm , but the current Roland DSP Board lacks additional control inputs, preventing that.

But it has generated interest and started a dialogue for future products.

Headless68

I think it's great that Boss are looking to an innovation guitar company, Ola will hopefully drive Boss in these directions, something Fender were probably a lot less interested in

Elantric

More pics

(left-right) Thomas Nordegg (TimeSpeed Designs), Don Ramsay (Linear Tremolo) , Alex Hutchings (Roland)

Elantric

Here I am playing the new Boss Strandberg VGuitar - some example of tracking and tones

(sorry just iphone video)

Elantric

QuoteI hate those necks.

Yes - its a very different "3 sided"  neck profile

But I adapted to it swiftly and it was very comfortable

Elantric

vanceg

Quote from: Elantric on January 26, 2017, 07:00:54 AM
Ola Strandberg indicated for this model he hoped to employ a "Virtual Jeff" type tremolo arm , but the current Roland DSP Board lacks additional control inputs, preventing that.

But it has generated interest and started a dialogue for future products.

But one board that DOES have an additional control input is the ATG board... so I could see a version of the Virtual Jeff used specifically with the ATG.

letsbefrank

I just (15 april) contacted Strandberg, and they say the guitar is set to go to market in the 4th quarter of this year (2017). However, they say that 'at present' they have no plans to equip the guitar with a 13-pin output.

I think this is hugely diappointing; I own a Strandberg and they are fantastic guitars; it would be great to add synth and modelling sounds of your own choice to that, rather than be limited to the sounds that Roland decides to put on board.

lumena

Still might  :)
be fine driving the sy300
Don't ya think?

mooncaine

chrish

Quote from: letsbefrank on April 16, 2017, 01:23:44 AM
I just (15 april) contacted Strandberg, and they say the guitar is set to go to market in the 4th quarter of this year (2017). However, they say that 'at present' they have no plans to equip the guitar with a 13-pin output.

I think this is hugely diappointing; I own a Strandberg and they are fantastic guitars; it would be great to add synth and modelling sounds of your own choice to that, rather than be limited to the sounds that Roland decides to put on board.
is there enough space to place a FTP on it or an internal mount gk pup(if those are still available)?

Headless68

The GK Kit is still available (for the moment at least)

The guitar already has the Hex GK pickup on, could just be a mod required even if it's to split the output to a GK kit board

admin

There remains a strong interest among Roland/Boss management for these non 13 pin Guitar synths

1997 Fender VStrat
2013 Fender G5 Strat
2017 Strandberg VGuitar

But the marketplace has not embraced these models which lack GK 13 pin connections and zero expansion and no guitar to MIDI options

A few folks have modded them for 13 pin output here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1648.0

Headless68

Do you think they now see the 13 pin as the limiting factor in wider sales ?
if so & Roland are entering into a cross over period (phasing out 13 pin tech) then a compromise would be to offer it on this guitar at least as a selectable option so they are catering to existing client base & they wouldn't need to put it into all products

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24509225/

QuoteOla Strandberg posted this today on his Instagram, piezo bridge Strandberg:Love their stuff. They're still experimenting with a lot of new options it seems.

reingarnichts

I don't like the concept of sounds crammed into a guitar, I need foot-control to switch between guitar and synth.
Also: are these just preprogrammed presets? Can you do your own? What about Hex-Distortion, etc...
We'll have to wait...

But thanks for pointing me toward strandberg guitars.
Interesting concept, lightweight, maybe something for my  future (If they build one with 13-pin or a EHX builds a GR300-in-a-box for 1/4-Plug). I don't know yet if I love or hate the design though.