King Crimson Dinossaur

Started by Rodrigo Schwarz, December 05, 2016, 05:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodrigo Schwarz

I know Adrian Belew use a GR 1 for the strings sounds on "Dinossaur" (King Crimson), but has anyone managed to get a similar sound with the GR 55?
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

stratrat

Not specifically, but it should be easy to get close with some kind of "tape" (Mellotron) strings and the expression pedal. The slow attack sounds like he's doing it manually, using the expression pedal to swell in the chords.

mooncaine

I do something like that with the VG-99. I use a tape delay, set to minimum delay, 0 feedback, hi cut severe. Also a Warm OD or Natural OD effect, with gain low but enough to add dirt. On the VG-99, I can use Mod 1 or 2 to be a Vibrato effect.

aliensporebomb

You could use the settings for my faux mellotron patch on the 99 as a starting point...
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Rodrigo Schwarz

Thank you guys! I needed to send my GK guitar to the luthier today. As soon as she returns I will try all of these suggestions. Thank you again!
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

mooncaine

I'll put up a VG-99 patch or two. It's been ages since I've done this, so, moderator buddies, please take a look and make sure I don't set something alight here.

This may not be what Mr. Belew's tuning is, and maybe I wasn't even trying to play it in the right key, but... when I fooled around with trying to play the Belew-guitar-as-string-quartet part, these were the VG-99 sounds I used. Even if you don't have one, you can download the editor for it and look this patch over in the editor.

On a GR, I'd have done something similar, using GR300 sound into a warming tape delay or mod delay that warbles a bit like old tape, and the delay's High Cut knob set to 8 kHz or lower. Seems like it should have a hint of distortion, just breakup on the loudest chords, that comes after the delay, but I don't seem to have dialed that in.

Rodrigo Schwarz

Thank you, mooncaine! I got good results with the PCM Tone number 354 (TapeStrings1) on the GR55. Trying to re-create this sound made me hear again Thrak, which I had not listened to since the mid-90s. What a great record! In my opinion, the second best of the band, only losing to Discipline.