Drop D tuning on GR20

Started by Torby, November 13, 2016, 07:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torby

In the past I've owned the GR 300, 700 and GR1 , I hope to pick up a GR20 for just for amusement and revisiting good times playing keyboard parts.

I know I always had to have my guitars perfectly in tune at 440 Hz but the guys I play with now tune everything down a half step, from memory I don't think that should be a problem as long as everything is tuned properly.

I'm just hoping some of you might have the best way to set up the system, for example should I put a capo at the first fret and tune normally, then remove for performance knowing that the open strings will trigger correctly.

I'm not sure how the tuner works on the gr20, instead of E A D G B E will it tune to Eb Ab Db F# Bb Eb and show correctly on any display? Or is the tuner only likely to display correctly on standard tuning?

Thanks for any input, looking forward to rejoining the fold....I'm 60 now so starting to wind down from playing live.

gumtown

I think you should be fine with the half step down tuning and capo on/off the first fret.
The GR-20 tuner does not have much shift (a few cents) so you will have to observe the half step tuning.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

manuels

I think this is relevant to a question I had about something similar. I tune my guitars to Eb mainly because of the comfort in bending and general playing for my old aching fingers. What I want to know is can I keep my guitars tuned to Eb and using my GR-20 change the pitch to A 440 tuning to allow me to play with others? Thank you for any input.
1951 Fender Custom Shop Nocaster.
1966 Fender Telecaster blonde.
1971 Fender Telecaster black with Bigsby.
1973 Fender Telecaster blonde. SOLD
1972 Fender Stratocaster sunburst with rosewood fretboard.
1975 Fender Precision Bass. Deep red with rosewood fretboard.
1967 Fender Twin Reverb.
Out of room

manuels

I'm sorry. Not sure I understand your reply.
1951 Fender Custom Shop Nocaster.
1966 Fender Telecaster blonde.
1971 Fender Telecaster black with Bigsby.
1973 Fender Telecaster blonde. SOLD
1972 Fender Stratocaster sunburst with rosewood fretboard.
1975 Fender Precision Bass. Deep red with rosewood fretboard.
1967 Fender Twin Reverb.
Out of room