GT-001 Guitar-to-MIDI - Is it good enough?

Started by alfstone, September 21, 2016, 04:56:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfstone

Hi,

my question is in the subject of the thread.
According to many reviews here, the Guitar-to-MIDI is very good in the GP-10.
Is it good the same for the GT-001?

Thanks!
Alfredo

Elantric

Apples and oranges

The GT-001 lacks the hex divided GK pickup, and only allows single note Guitar to MIDI - no chords

The Sonuus GTM /ITM are faster 1/4" guitar to MIDI converters -again no chords

binbinhfr

I just tested the midi function of the gt001.
It is monophonic (one note at a time), and it is quite slow : there is a notable delay between the time you hit the string and the emission of the midi note.
I supposed it's enough to enter notes in a midi partition, but not good to record something accurate.

admin

Quote from: binbinhfr on March 10, 2018, 07:24:26 AM
I just tested the midi function of the gt001.
It is monophonic (one note at a time), and it is quite slow : there is a notable delay between the time you hit the string and the emission of the midi note.
I supposed it's enough to enter notes in a midi partition, but not good to record something accurate.

On a fast Macbook Pro - the GT-100 V2 and GT-001's monophonic  Guitar to MIDI latency triggering on Roland Core Audio USB drivers , using Apple Mainstage or Garageband's AU synths is substantially lower than the GT-001 > USB> Windows PC w/ Roland ASIO Audio USB driver experience.   

binbinhfr

Quote from: admsustainiac on March 10, 2018, 07:47:00 AM
On a fast Macbook Pro - the GT-100 V2 and GT-001's monophonic  Guitar to MIDI latency triggering on Roland Core Audio USB drivers , using Apple Mainstage or Garageband's AU synths is substantially lower than the GT-001 > USB> Windows PC w/ Roland ASIO Audio USB driver experience.

Strange, because I have a short unaudible latency using the AUDIO drivers of the GT on my PC. So it would mean that the MIDI part of the driver is laggy but not the audio part ?

admin

Quote from: binbinhfr on March 28, 2018, 05:16:53 AM
Strange, because I have a short unaudible latency using the AUDIO drivers of the GT on my PC. So it would mean that the MIDI part of the driver is laggy but not the audio part ?

Both Audio and MIDI latency is a bit lower on a Mac 

and yes there are separate latency times for MIDI vs Audio

Using Roland  / Boss gear with USB Audio / MIDI  = whatever measurable audio latency you currently have on Windows , it would be a bit less on a Mac 

Total system latency ( Guitar to Speaker) is the issue.

Its common knowledge here, ( based on real world experience with equal hardware )  The Roland / Boss USB Audio ASIO Windows drivers are "laggy" ( higher latency  / more pops and crackles if you set ASIO buffer too low) - vs the Roland / Boss USB Core Audio  macOS/OSX drivers which yield lower latency

But todays 64 bit Windows PCs are gaining clock speed, and better response to interrupts and Audio  / MIDI hardware . Faster hardware can mask sloppy code.

And one mans "I cant hear any latency" might be another mans "I cant bear the 35 milliseconds latency which throws me off and prevents me from landing in the rhythm  pocket

the argument is "35 milliseconds latency is no worse that standing 35 feet away from your Guitar amp at a gig.

And I agree - and from experience some of my worst live gigs occurred when a promoter wanted my band to "spread out stand 30 feet apart on that giant 100 foot wide stage"  - which meant the drummer with questionable ability to keep time kept changing tempos mid song as a result of attempting to lock in with a bass player who liked to use a wireless and dance around the 100 ft stage     

jassy

I think with the latest devices (gp10, sy300...) and drivers, the windows side is very similar in latency to the Apple one.
With the GR55 anda VG99 things where a bit worse in the windows field.
At least thats my experience.