PRIMOVA MIDX-20 Dual Roland USB MIDI Converter / Ctrl Interface

Started by CodeSmart, March 05, 2016, 05:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

My old friend can't hardly walk any more but he's painted cars and kitchen furniture all his life.
He really knows how to use the spray gun. I'm so impressed he can do still do this sitting down.
Sold two of this years batch of MIDX-20 with his two-component white and careful clear coat on top of the print.
Thanks Sven-Arne, I hope the doctors may help you soon.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

CodeSmart

I'm happy to be able to ship yet another batch of the MIDX-20.
About ten units gone already. I though it was a dead product as it doesn't support the SY-1000.

New people apparently still use it for controlling their GP-10, Katana, GT-1 and MS-3 by MIDI.
I'm sorry I didn't make a MIDI bridge for the GT-1B. I have had some requests (abt. 5).

I someone has a cheap GT-1B for sale or to borrow for a month or so, please let me know.

gumtown

I do have a GT-1B which I use as my grab'n'go quick rig.
I also have all the GT-1B addresses, so let me know if you want the numbers to convert a GT-1 bridge to GT-1B.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumtown on January 02, 2022, 10:00:54 PM
I do have a GT-1B which I use as my grab'n'go quick rig.
I also have all the GT-1B addresses, so let me know if you want the numbers to convert a GT-1 bridge to GT-1B.
Thank you, but first I need a unit in my lap.

gumtown

Cool if there was some sort of software which could present a USB device remotely to another designated USB port elsewhere.
I once tested an editor build on a remote computer using a Boss device I didn't have , using teamviewer.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

I also have done remote development for several devices I do not own for the VController. Support for the AxeFx, Kemper and SY-1000 first iteration have been done this way.

But having the device on your desk is much better.

CodeSmart

Guitarist of Ennio Morricone and Quincy Jones buys MIDX-20, Cool!

quad4

Quote from: gumtown on January 03, 2022, 10:03:19 PM
Cool if there was some sort of software which could present a USB device remotely to another designated USB port elsewhere.

Check out VirtualHere. It does exactly that.

NotBob

Hi All.  Not sure if this is right place for this question. I'm using a GT-1000 along with with MIDX-20 in conjunction with a GP-10.  When I'm passing PC#s from the GT-1000 to the the GP-10 via the MIDX-20, everything works great. But after around 20 minutes or so, the GP10 stops reacting to the midi messages being sent by the MIDX-20. I can see the midi lights on the MIDX-20 working, but the GP-10 doesn't change to the correct patch.  It just doesn't change patches anymore. What works to correct it is to unplug the USB cable either from the GP-10 or the MIDX-20 and then it reinsert it, it then works for another 20 minutes or so. I have replaced the usb cable but the issue persists.  Any ideas why this would be happening, and any thoughts on how to correct it?

Thanks.

CodeSmart

Quote from: NotBob on April 03, 2022, 12:09:28 AM
Hi All.  Not sure if this is right place for this question. I'm using a GT-1000 along with with MIDX-20 in conjunction with a GP-10.  When I'm passing PC#s from the GT-1000 to the the GP-10 via the MIDX-20, everything works great. But after around 20 minutes or so, the GP10 stops reacting to the midi messages being sent by the MIDX-20. I can see the midi lights on the MIDX-20 working, but the GP-10 doesn't change to the correct patch.  It just doesn't change patches anymore. What works to correct it is to unplug the USB cable either from the GP-10 or the MIDX-20 and then it reinsert it, it then works for another 20 minutes or so. I have replaced the usb cable but the issue persists.  Any ideas why this would be happening, and any thoughts on how to correct it?

Thanks.

I would use Bome SendSX PC program to check what MIDI commands the GT-1000 transmits, to make sure there's nothing in there that could confuse the other boxes.

What version are you using with the MIDX and what variant?
I.e. are you using a variant with the "GP-10 bridge" or not?

If using a variant with "GP-10 bridge" I would flash a variant without it (or turn it off using the PC Assistant), to see if that makes any change.
Note PC# and MIDI Assigns will work without the bridge.

NotBob

Quote from: CodeSmart on April 03, 2022, 12:31:45 AM
I would use Bome SendSX PC program to check what MIDI commands the GT-1000 transmits, to make sure there's nothing in there that could confuse the other boxes.

What version are you using with the MIDX and what variant?
I.e. are you using a variant with the "GP-10 bridge" or not?

If using a variant with "GP-10 bridge" I would flash a variant without it (or turn it off using the PC Assistant), to see if that makes any change.
Note PC# and MIDI Assigns will work without the bridge.

I turned off the GP bridge with the PC assistant. That did not work, in fact the problem started happening within 5 minutes instead of 20. I went back to the GP bridge, but the problem is still taking 5 minutes to occur.   When you say Flash a variants without the bridge, which which firmware do I choose in the PC assistant without a bridge, or do i just hit the restore defaults button?

You kindly included the GP10 bridge when i bought it, I'm not sure of the version. I just purchased the MIDX-20 from you about 5 months ago. 

Thanks.

CodeSmart

Quote from: NotBob on April 03, 2022, 03:01:47 PM
I turned off the GP bridge with the PC assistant. That did not work, in fact the problem started happening within 5 minutes instead of 20. I went back to the GP bridge, but the problem is still taking 5 minutes to occur.   When you say Flash a variants without the bridge, which which firmware do I choose in the PC assistant without a bridge, or do i just hit the restore defaults button?

You kindly included the GP10 bridge when i bought it, I'm not sure of the version. I just purchased the MIDX-20 from you about 5 months ago. 

Thanks.

I've responded on email. Let's walk this through and see if we can cure it.

NotBob

Robert, a factory reset of the GP-10 system appears to have corrected the midi patch change stalling issue discussed above. The MIDX-20 was working great all along.  Thanks for your help!

CodeSmart

Quote from: NotBob on April 05, 2022, 02:51:46 PM
Robert, a factory reset of the GP-10 system appears to have corrected the midi patch change stalling issue discussed above. The MIDX-20 was working great all along.  Thanks for your help!
So greatful you let me know.

drw_65

Is there any chance that we may see a new firmware containing the new v2.0 firmware additions for the Katana MK2 series? (or even the v1.10 firmware additions?)

CodeSmart

Quote from: drw_65 on October 08, 2022, 10:25:04 PMIs there any chance that we may see a new firmware containing the new v2.0 firmware additions for the Katana MK2 series? (or even the v1.10 firmware additions?)
Yes that's the plan. I hopefully get time for it by the end of this month.

drw_65

Quote from: CodeSmart on October 10, 2022, 10:22:02 PMYes that's the plan. I hopefully get time for it by the end of this month.
Any progress made?...on figuring out the new Boss Katana MKII firmware?

CodeSmart

Quote from: drw_65 on January 04, 2023, 12:33:27 AMAny progress made?...on figuring out the new Boss Katana MKII firmware?
Yes, but realized I've already used up all CC# up to 127. Would need to implement some paging or discard some existing settings, like throw away eq settings to free up some CC or should a specific CC be used to page to another page of CC commands. What do you say?

gumtown

Based on my 'scientific market research analysis?' (% of Katana FxFloorBoard editor downloads) there are more than 4x as many Mk2 users, as a ratio to MK1 users.  8)
I would say ditch 80% of the MK1 controls and replace with MK2, if space inside is tight.

(IMO- YMMV - IDK)  ;D

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumtown on January 05, 2023, 05:08:32 PMBased on my 'scientific market research analysis?' (% of Katana FxFloorBoard editor downloads) there are more than 4x as many Mk2 users, as a ratio to MK1 users.  8)
I would say ditch 80% of the MK1 controls and replace with MK2, if space inside is tight.

(IMO- YMMV - IDK)  ;D

You misunderstood. I'm referring to MKII only. All CC# in the MKII MIDI Bridge is already taken. (MKI has its own, completely separate map). I'll probably throw away the EQ settings...

gumtown

CodeSmart

I've started working on the new MIDX-20 MKII V2 firmware (again).
More changes than I initially saw. I like the new SOLO settings.

cags12

Hey Robert,
I know the MIDX-20 is mainly aimed as a MIDI toolbox for Roland/Boss devices, but here is a question.

How challenging is making a non class compliant interface compatible with MIDX-20 like you did for the GP-10?

I've been tinkering with the Line6 Variax VDI USB interface by capturing its traffic and I can see this is basically a MIDI interface with proprietary driver (like the GP-10). Tried connecting it to my MIDX-20 but as expected the connection failed.
My idea is to instead of using a RJ45/MIDI cable mod (which has its own challenges and it's not for everyone) having the MIDX-20 acting as an host to the VDI interface could open up the avenue to many Variax users to buy the MIDX-20 to accomplish MIDI control.
Even better a Bridge implementation would allow easy control of advanced settings that are normally done only via SysEx through the PC Workbench app.

Thoughts?

admin

If you are seeking MIDI controller of Variax - follow DIY details - but don't forget the special SYSEX message to wake up and enable MIDI transmission from the VDI output

All details here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13484.0

cags12

Quote from: admin on January 08, 2023, 09:10:27 AMIf you are seeking MIDI controller of Variax - follow DIY details - but don't forget the special SYSEX message to wake up and enable MIDI transmission from the VDI output

All details here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13484.0

Yeah, I have done that already and even adapted a wireless Bluetooth adapter. I have some interesting details I have found that I will be publishin over that thread shortly.

However, what I am suggeting to @CodeSmart is an idea to open up MIDI control of the Variax to users that do not have the DIY skills nor desire but would perhaps find the MIDX-20 option worth the price. But first, I'd like to understand if my idea (from a technichal standpoint) is just to big of a challenge.