VG-99 - roland ev-5 with vg99

Started by Brak(E)man, September 03, 2015, 01:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

I've used roland ev-5 since vg8 with 88 and it works fine with all 3 units I have
With the 99 it doesn't go all the way down when used as volume it needs an extra " kick" and sometimes that doesn't work either so it's not 100% silent
Is it something in the vg 99 I'm missing, it's not the calibre control on the pedal
I'm using it straight into the 99
I haven't tried it with gp 10 but as said it still works with 8 and 88 which I still use
Any suggestions ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Headless68

by default my EXP on the rear sets to 'FX lvl' and you are right it does not go to zero output - if you change this in the control assign settings for the the EXP pedal to 'Cosm guitar / E.GTR / VOL' for both A & B you will then be able to go to zero output on the exp pedal

Headless68

....if you select 'patch level' in there you dont have to do it for A & B as it does both anyway - and goes to zero output

Headless68

further playing .... patch level also retains a small output, odd - ' Mixer(A&B) / output / Main ' combination does go to zero and you only need to put it in once .... soooooo many options :-)

Brak(E)man

This is an unexpected problem that I haven't had on the othe VG models , I want to use fx lvl as I've used before since there's delay and reverb tails that remains unaffected , theft weird thing is that I can get it down to zero volume sometimes with that extra"kick" at first when I noticed it I thought that the carpet on the floor was to soft therefore the pedal didn't reach the zero level but than realized that I'd did when used with 8 & 88 , I guess I have to live with it.
Quote from: Headless68 on September 03, 2015, 03:28:52 AM
the EXP pedal to 'Cosm guitar / E.GTR / VOL' for both A & B you will then be able to go to zero output on the exp pedal
I guess this isn't like turning down the Cosm PU levels ? And is it possible to include the normal guitar pickup , I tend to use that more and more

- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

Use the Expression pedal Calibration function on the VG-99

Read how to enable normal mag PUs from a link in the VG-99 FAQ

Brak(E)man

Can't find anything about or with calibrate the expression pedal in the manual , the editor or in the vg99 ribbon and air beam yes , I'm missing something here, all I can find is 0-100 and 0-127 parameters ,
And I know how to turn the normal PUs up or down I was asking if they can be included in the Cosm electr guit volume expression pedal setting

- Lydia Lunch

Kebbel

I think I might have asked this question last year, but I can't find my question or your answers in the forum, so ...
Can I use an EV-5 to rock back and forth between COSM guitars: i.e., rock forward to a nylon string guitar verse played into a Looper, then rock back to a dirty lead to play over the looping nylon guitar part. If it's possible, how?

gumtown

Quote from: Kebbel on February 01, 2022, 06:09:31 PM
I think I might have asked this question last year, but I can't find my question or your answers in the forum, so ...
Can I use an EV-5 to rock back and forth between COSM guitars: i.e., rock forward to a nylon string guitar verse played into a Looper, then rock back to a dirty lead to play over the looping nylon guitar part. If it's possible, how?
Sure can, there are two options I can think of.

The simple way is to Assign the EXP pedal (Pedal Functions) to COSM Inst type, but this option dos not allow the nylon and electric guitar models to have their own amp/effects.

The better way is to Assign the EXP pedal (Pedal Functions) to A/B Balance, with COSM A the nylon guitar, and COSM B the electric guitar.
With the EXP Source Range, Lo = 0 Hi =127 will give an even 100:100 mix over the whole EXP pedal range, but if you narrow those in (Lo = 40, Hi = 90) the mix range is more towards the middle 3rd of the EXP pedal travel, until you set EXP Source Range Lo = 64, Hi = 65, where the pedal will hard switch from COSM A to COSM B at the mid point of the pedal.
You could also get tricky and set the main out Route to Channel A going directly into the Looper,
and the Sub Out routed direct to your desk, so the electric guitar has its own direct channel, you can play both at the same time, and when you hit the looper record, it only records the acoustic.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Kebbel

Tapped CONTROL ASSIGN button
Tapped PAGE > button 5 times to get to Tab 6
Tapped F5button, the E5/C7 choice
Set RANGE LOW to 64 and RANGE HIGH to 65 (see picture)

(1) This doesn't work yet; what have I done wrong?
(2) Once I do get this working, will it globally apply to all patches or just the patch I'm in when I set it up?

gumtown

Are you using the FC-300 foot controller?
As the picture show you are setting up for the FC-300.

If you are using the EXP pedal direct into the VG-99, the setting is on a different page.

You would have to apply the setting to each patch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Kebbel

I am trying to work the EV-5 into my VG-99 usage about a year after my first failed attempt at adding it, but I'm a little befuddled. (Little? Actually VERY befuddled.) I finally figured out which page and which control to use to affect the patch levels. I set MIN to 50 and MAX to 100 so I can move from rhythm to lead and back again. I got what I wanted, but some of my other patches died volume-wise. If I disconnect the EV-5, everything goes back to normal, but if I plug the EV-5 back in, those patches die again. I tried setting the EV-5 to off on the dead patches, but they're still dead until I disconnect the pedal. Anyone have a clue to what the problem might be?

PS Once I get the patch volume issue resolved, I'm going to dive back into the switching between COSM guitars issue I asked about a few weeks ago.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Kebbel on February 15, 2022, 08:35:21 AM
I am trying to work the EV-5 into my VG-99 usage about a year after my first failed attempt at adding it, but I'm a little befuddled. (Little? Actually VERY befuddled.) I finally figured out which page and which control to use to affect the patch levels. I set MIN to 50 and MAX to 100 so I can move from rhythm to lead and back again. I got what I wanted, but some of my other patches died volume-wise. If I disconnect the EV-5, everything goes back to normal, but if I plug the EV-5 back in, those patches die again. I tried setting the EV-5 to off on the dead patches, but they're still dead until I disconnect the pedal. Anyone have a clue to what the problem might be?

PS Once I get the patch volume issue resolved, I'm going to dive back into the switching between COSM guitars issue I asked about a few weeks ago.

It sounds like it could be a double ( read conflict) assign.
Check those patches that dies.
I never used the expression on the vg-99 for what you're doing.
Only foot volume ( swell) before delay and reverb and for wha-wha..
In other words I'm not sure but usually when weird things happen like your problem it's a double assign or something ver similar. Most of the time an easy/small thing but not easy to figure out.

- Lydia Lunch

Kebbel

I am assuming--perhaps incorrectly--that I would be tapping CONTROL ASSIGN, advancing to PAGE 4 and looking in CTL3 and CTL4 and on PAGE 5 looking in EXP1, EXPSW1, EXP2, EXPSW2, CTL 1, CTL 2. Am I on the right track?

If not, (1) Where do I check for a double/conflict assign? AND (2) What does a double/conflict assign look like, i.e., what am I looking for?

Brak(E)man

Quote from: gumtown on February 02, 2022, 10:07:20 AM
Are you using the FC-300 foot controller?
As the picture show you are setting up for the FC-300.

If you are using the EXP pedal direct into the VG-99, the setting is on a different page.

You would have to apply the setting to each patch.

This would be the first Q

Quote from: Kebbel on February 16, 2022, 03:49:37 AM
I am assuming--perhaps incorrectly--that I would be tapping CONTROL ASSIGN, advancing to PAGE 4 and looking in CTL3 and CTL4 and on PAGE 5 looking in EXP1, EXPSW1, EXP2, EXPSW2, CTL 1, CTL 2. Am I on the right track?

If not, (1) Where do I check for a double/conflict assign? AND (2) What does a double/conflict assign look like, i.e., what am I looking for?

Any ctl or GK vol etc assign to the same parameter as the ev-5 ( patch level )

- Lydia Lunch

Kebbel

I admit I am totally lost with the EV-5. I have abandoned all hopes (temporarily at least) of using it as anything but a volume pedal to move in and out of solos, and I haven't even been able to accomplish that. Two questions, one "Yes/No", one more complicated..
(1) If I am using the GK to control Patch Level, does that automatically create a conflict that will prohibit using the EV-5 to raise and lower Patch Level.
(2) If the answer is No, not a conflict problem, after setting Patch Level as my Target Parameter, what should I set  MIN/MAX/RANGE LOW/RANGE HIGH to so that all the way down is rhythm level and all the way up is solo level? 

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer this question.

Brak(E)man

1 yes most likely or some other oddities.
2 if you want to raise the volume with the expression pedal and still have GK vol to patch level,
there's a lot of other places to change volume. In amp , in eq etc.

(There's also the solo level / switch in the amp section see p 143 in the manual)

- Lydia Lunch

Kebbel

First, thanks for replying.

I know the EV-5 is functional because the grey knob on the side adjusts Volume Level. This demonstrates there is a connection and the pedal is functional.

As for the Solo Volume, still don't have the problem solved. Here are the steps I took.

(1) I checked the manual.
(2) I entered the Control Assign Expression Pedal page and changed the Target Parameter to [A]COSM Guitar
(3) I entered the Amp A settings and turned on the Solo Switch with a setting of 70.

There is no change in volume when I move the pedal up or down.

Brak(E)man

The solo switch is easiest to use with a ctl pedal switch toggle ,  but you should be able to use the  expression pedal set to 0-127 value ( pedal max-min , not solo level )
If you can't get that to work , try assign it to preamp level.

- Lydia Lunch

Kebbel

I'm pretty sure I'm not communicating how totally lost I am here.  ;)

(1) I hit the [CONTROL ASSIGN] Button
(2) Page 4 has the EXP icon for Expression Pedal. I tap F1 to select it.
(3) Inside the Expression Pedal pages, I choose Page 4 of Expression Pedal to access Min and Max

But what do I choose for Page 1, 2, and 3 of the Expression Pedal? Patch Level is out because that's attached to the GK

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Kebbel on March 18, 2022, 04:05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm not communicating how totally lost I am here.  ;)

(1) I hit the [CONTROL ASSIGN] Button
(2) Page 4 has the EXP icon for Expression Pedal. I tap F1 to select it.
(3) Inside the Expression Pedal pages, I choose Page 4 of Expression Pedal to access Min and Max

But what do I choose for Page 1, 2, and 3 of the Expression Pedal? Patch Level is out because that's attached to the GK

try Assign to cosm amp preamp level , be careful with max and min settings ( mind your ears ).
Or try cosm amp preamp (solo) SW

(If that doesn't work there's a multiple threads on the forum that deals with assigns in general.
Reading some of those might help)

Start with this thread

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

- Lydia Lunch