Kemper Dark LCD Stompbox Editing Fix

Started by Elantric, December 07, 2014, 12:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I have  Kemper with FW 2.2.1

I wait 30 seconds for it to boot

It landed a patch called  "Les is Les"

I think to myself -

"Lets add some tremolo  - must be over on the upper left where it says MOD with Rate and Intensity right? "

I want to assign Tremolo to an unused "Stomp"so I  press the "A" switch in the MOD section -

But instead of being presented with an array of Stomp Box types - nothing! 
The damn backlight on the LCD  shuts down dims like the unit shut down  to an unreadable contrast  - then I need to haul out a flashlight and a magnifying glass  to read the LCD which says "EMPTY" ( what a pain and terrible UI )  - then despite all my knob tweaking - button pressing  - nothing nada zilch

Where is the magic wand to allow me to assign Tremolo to Stomp A  on KPA ??

Bill Ruppert

You need a Kemper "EZ-Tone" system.
Or I can sell you the patch with tremolo on.

Elantric

On paper the KPA  looks promising

But on Youtube there is nothing but 4000 hours thrash metal on one patch

I need a KPA for Dummies Video Tutorial   - closest I found in the Gundy Keller KPA video - but my KPA does not react like his -

Maybe I have some "Lock mode" enabled down in a buried sub/sub/sub/sub/ folder.

The point is the KPA ownership experience after 2.5 years has been mixed 

- It looks so user friendly in the ads and specs , but the actual real world KPA User interface  is rather bad,  nothing works as I expect, Screens changing color and dimming dark or turning off right at the very moment  I'm trying to Edit a patch at a gig is NOT productive to me

I have an easier time on a GSP-2101

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-reviews/78431-axe-2-vs-kemper-good-balanced-review.html

Bill Ruppert

Steve
Adding an effect in the Profiler is super easy.
Here I add a tremolo in 3 seconds.
I dont know how it could be simpler?

Quote from:  Elantric on December 07, 2014, 12:39:52 PM
On paper the KPA  looks promising

But on Youtube there is nothing but 4000 hours thrash metal on one patch

I need a KPA for Dummies Video Tutorial   - closest I found in the Gundy Keller KPA video - but my KPA does not react like his -

Maybe I have some "Lock mode" enabled down in a buried sub/sub/sub/sub/ folder.

The point is the KPA ownership experience after 2.5 years has not been goodfor me -

- It looks so cuddly and user friendly in the ads and specs 

but the actual KPA User interface for me is rather bad,  nothing works, Screens changing color and dimming off right at the very moment  I'm trying to Edit is NOT productive to me

I have an easier time on a GSP-1101

Bill Ruppert

Still waiting for a way for an easy to add a youtube video..

Elantric

Thanks Bill!

But I'll comment that having the Crucial control  -"TYPE"   knob on the left of the LCD with its tiny 1/8" high black text on a dark green  background was not intuitive nor legible for me.

And being right handed - when I reach for the "TYPE knob - my hand entirely blocks the KPA LCD, so I cant read what I'm doing.

Is Chris Kemper Left Handed?

Time to get the Brother Labeler and make large control labels for knobs

But I cant read Yellow Text on Grey background or the opposite either   - might as well be invisible

Is there ANY setting that allows the KPA LCD to stay "lit" up?

and make it stop always changing colors and contrast  - its damn annoying to have it go dark during Editing

Elantric

This might make my life with KPA easier

http://www.tonymckenzie.com/kemper-midi-program-everglades-audio-review.htm

But I'l probably be dead by the time it gets released and working with current KPA Firmware

Bill Ruppert

I can see you in these at the next Dentures gig.
Hmmmmmm I know theres a GP-10 on the floor somewhere....

Elantric

It matches the borg wart GK3 on my guitar.

QuoteHmmmmmm I know theres a GP-10 on the floor somewhere....

Tonemasterus

Kemper is up to 2.73. And you can change the color of the led's.  I would be more than happy to set up some rigs for you with the effects you want, then just lock them and they will be on all your rigs?

Just saying its a heck of a lot easier than some of the stuff you had to program in the past!

But whatever drives your goat?  Lol

Dave

Elantric

Thanks !
But my light bulb is turning on and KPA Stomp box navigation is finally clicking for me.   

Thanks Bill and everyone who helped me get a better handle on this

But the KPA LCD Display going completely Dim during initial  Stompbox setup  and the placing the "TYPE" knob left of the LCD requires twisting my right hand palm up just to read the LCD for FX Type selection is just a bad user interface design decision IMHO  -

But its miles ahead of the HD500X !

Observe I have a GSP-1101 below the KPA.

I scored a gently used GSP-1101 and the matching Control 2 Foot pedal and this complements and adds all the features that are lacking on the Kemper.

The Kemper connects to the GSP-1101 Stereo FX Loop. and the Control 2 pedal controls the whole rig 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6125.msg84177#msg84177

* 24bit USB Compliant Interface - for recording into a iPad/Mac PC
* MIDi Foot pedal with LCD Display for patch naming
* Preset Bounceback   - step on any preset select foot switch on Control 2 and it takes you right back to the previous patch - works well for live use
* Dual Expression pedals with control assignments per range - like Roland VG-99
* Good User interface the way I like it
* One Cat 5 cable powers the Control 2

* Emergency backup rig  - the GSP-1101 supports IR CAB models and is not bad sounding.

The only hurdle is the Editor for GSP-1101 has not been updated in 6 years  - and does not run on a Mac - so I hope to use VMWare Fusion to run a Win XP in a virtual box to run the GSP-1101 Editor 

Best info on GSP-1101 is here
http://feki99.wix.com/feki#!__gsp-1101

whippinpost91850

Steve, Sounds like you need a hug.
I feel your pain of getting some things to work. But sounds to me like you need to spend a few minutes with just you and the KPA . Do a software update and take a few minute to browse around it's not neary as bad . I agree the manual pretty well sucks and the UI could be a little more intuitive, but nothing compared to the sub-menu hell of my GR55. My GP10 is on the way and I hope it doesn't have quite as many menues and sub'-menues. Goos luck it's a great sounding and feeling Box

whippinpost91850

Steve
Adding an effect in the Profiler is super easy.
Here I add a tremolo in 3 seconds.
I dont know how it could be simpler?

And yes it's that easy, And a Cheap FCB1010/ UNO will control ehe KPA and other devices quite nicely. And probably the UNO for KPA even easier

whippinpost91850

Quote from:  Elantric
Still waiting for the  KPA to boot

I have newest software and about 275 rigs on board and it takes about 15 seconds to boot

Bill Ruppert

Thank you I did not know that!
Color #30 for the screen is it for me!
Love it

Quote from:  Tonemasterus on December 07, 2014, 03:35:10 PM
Kemper is up to 2.73. And you can change the color of the led's.  I would be more than happy to set up some rigs for you with the effects you want, then just lock them and they will be on all your rigs?

Just saying its a heck of a lot easier than some of the stuff you had to program in the past!

But whatever drives your goat?  Lol

Dave

Bill Ruppert

Steve even easier is to store the effects you use by setting up an effect and while in that window hit store.
It will ask you if you want to store the effect and call the effect a name.
Ex. Steve comp or Steve reverb or Steve delay or steve trem ect.
Then all you need do is is hit one of the stomp buttons and when the screen dim(thats telling you its waiting for a command) scroll through your list of effects using the browse knob on the RIGHT.
Boom your done.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on December 07, 2014, 05:30:21 PM
Steve even easier is to store the effects you use by setting up an effect and while in that window hit store.
It will ask you if you want to store the effect and call the effect a name.
Ex. Steve comp or Steve reverb or Steve delay or steve trem ect.
Then all you need do is is hit one of the stomp buttons and when the screen dim(thats telling you its waiting for a command) scroll through your list of effects using the browse knob on the RIGHT.
Boom your done.
Bill, do you know if you can store, a multi effects set-up. Like store an A-B-C-D, with given effects as a preset.

Elantric

QuoteThen all you need do is is hit one of the stomp buttons and when the screen dim(thats telling you its waiting for a command) scroll through your list of effects using the browse knob on the RIGHT.
Boom your done.

Chris needs to hire you to do a series of KPA tutorial videos.

Anytime I try to search youtube for a KPA tutorial, all I get is "Radio Ola Englund"

whippinpost91850

Quote from:  Elantric on December 07, 2014, 05:34:35 PM
Chris needs to hire you to do a series of KPA tutorial videos.

Anytime I try to search youtube for a KPA tutorial, all I get is "Radio Ola Englund"

This would be an awesome thing. Damn wheres the thumbs-up smiley

Elantric

Here is what Im talking about -
I watched this KPA Effects Tutorial by Michael Elsner
He Presses the empty Stomp A to assign an Effect - and his LCD stays Lit and legible -

When I perform these same steps on my KPA, my Front LCD back light shuts off and all goes dim -  its unreadable and  makes me think my KPA has a defect. What am I missing here?

My KPA Experience has never matched what I see others accomplish with theirs  - its always been a moving target of firmware updates of  what controls actually work and what controls are disabled and "Work in Progress"

I'll try updating to the latest Firmware and hope my KPA gets back in sync and on the same page as what I see others easily do with theirs.     

Bill Ruppert

Oh...
Mine does the same as the video.
Can you shoot a video of yours.
Something might be screwed up with your unit...
(First load the current software)

Elantric

So I follow the official Kemper Update instructions - and nothing happens.

I have always found I have to place the "kaos.bin" file in the Root directory on the USb thumb drive  - and placing "kaos.bin" into the "OS Update" folder never works for me

I'll retry with "kaos.bin" in the root directory  - where it has worked in the past.

( Note - this is why I say my "Kemper reality" experience never matches other KPA owners     

QuoteUpdating the Profiler Firmware
Please perform the following simple steps to update your Kemper Profiler to a more recent firmware:
You will need to use an empty USB-stick in order to transfer the files from your Mac or PC to the Kemper Profiler. When you connect a USB-stick for the first time, the Kemper Profiler will format it to ensure maximum reliability.
The next step is to download the latest firmware. Updates are free of charge and can be downloaded from the following URL:
www.kemper-amps.com/start/
Expand the downloaded .zip archive and search for the update file called "kaos.bin" inside. Copy the file into the "OS Update" folder on the pre-formatted USB-stick using your Mac or PC. Next, unmount the USB-stick from your computer and plug it into the Kemper Profiler. Follow the on screen instructions which will appear after a couple of seconds.
More details can be found in the Kemper Profiler Basic Manual.

Elantric

Now I get  Error

"Cannot Update"

Multiple Versions have been found on the Memory stick "

I'll

* Reformat the USB Drive to FAT 32 on my Windows PC

* Reinsert on KPA to allow it to format the card to its file structure and try again

Elantric

The KPA Firmware update instructions are wrong. 
On my KPA, The FW update only works when "kaos.bin" is the root directory 

QuoteUpdating the Profiler Firmware
Please perform the following simple steps to update your Kemper Profiler to a more recent firmware:
You will need to use an empty USB-stick in order to transfer the files from your Mac or PC to the Kemper Profiler. When you connect a USB-stick for the first time, the Kemper Profiler will format it to ensure maximum reliability.
The next step is to download the latest firmware. Updates are free of charge and can be downloaded from the following URL:
www.kemper-amps.com/start/
Expand the downloaded .zip archive and search for the update file called "kaos.bin" inside. Copy the file into the "OS Update" folder on the pre-formatted USB-stick using your Mac or PC. Next, unmount the USB-stick from your computer and plug it into the Kemper Profiler. Follow the on screen instructions which will appear after a couple of seconds.
More details can be found in the Kemper Profiler Basic Manual.