Takstar WPM-200 Wireless In Ear Monitors

Started by gumtown, February 16, 2014, 03:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

@gumtown - Cleverly done, Sir.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

I find most Wireless IEM Belt pack receivers have weak audio power amps to drive the earbuds.
This is a link to FiiO belt worn Power Amps that can dramatically improve your IEM results with better sound.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10263.msg77841#msg77841

I'm going to try using a separate inline Headphone amp with my Takstar WDM-200 IEM system - to deliver a bit more "oomph" and power to my cheap earbuds,

These might be perfect additions for Takstar WDM-200 IEM system -
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E11-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0053KWDES/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393812341&sr=1-6

FiiO E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier - E11

I splurged a bit and ordered this version below- as it also works as both an inline headphone amp and an SPDIF/USB DAC.  I will wear both Takstar WDM200 UHF receiver and Fiio E17 headphone amp on a belt loop at gigs and use the FiiO E17 just as an analog Headphone booster amp. while it can also serve other purposes too. 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0070UFMOW/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FIIO E17 Alpen USB DAC Headphone Amplifier

http://www.fiio.com.cn/UploadFiles/main/Images/2012/12/20121210151457.pdf

musicman65

Elantric,

I agree with the fact that some IEM designs use less efficient drivers. The commercial "non pro"  earbuds that have worked best for me are the ones with sensitivity rated above 96db yet handle 200mW. I don't crank them real loud but the transients don't get fuzzy with that specification due to the better overhead. My band uses a rack mount headphone amp and wired IEMs so we have plenty of volume if needed.

I really am baffled that the "good" IEMs just don't cut it for me and I refuse to pay 500 bucks for something that I have to make myself like. I do like the mechanical and ergo design of the nicer IEMs but its all about the sound for me as long as the buds don't hurt.

BackDAWman

Alas! Both sets of Takstar Tx/Rx have gone belly up. One set decided it was going to whistle endlessly and the other just won't go at all. I guess you get what you pay for.

I am wired in now for my IEMs. It's restrictive but is much clearer.

rolandvg99

Quote from: BackDAWman on December 02, 2014, 01:39:21 PM

I am wired in now for my IEMs. It's restrictive but is much clearer.

I tape a 3mm belden microphone cable to my GK-cable for wired IEM. Having tried almost all kinds of wireless solutions even $2000+ systems can't beat a $30 cable for sound quality.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

pedwards2932

That is exactly what I am considering....I have a behringer headphone amp with 4 outputs to control the individual volume.  I am still searching for the proper in ear headphones......what I have tried so far wouldn't work for me.  I am going to try some Panasonic ones that Elantric recommended.....biggest problem I have is with vocals....instruments sound fine but vocals not so much.

BackDAWman

Quote from: rolandvg99 on December 03, 2014, 07:29:59 AM

I tape a 3mm belden microphone cable to my GK-cable for wired IEM. Having tried almost all kinds of wireless solutions even $2000+ systems can't beat a $30 cable for sound quality.

Absolutely! I have even used some sennheiser PMX60s. They allow enough outside audio to not feel too detached from the audience. If I want isolation I use my Shure SE535s.

JolietJake

Just wondering after this period of time if people are still using the Takstar IEM's, and wondering if there is any follow up?

BackDAWman

We haven't used Takstars since they broke down. Didn't replace them. I bought these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/181366670193?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They have been reliable and more stable than the Takstars. Being on the 2.4GHz band I'd be careful with placement of the transmitter if you are using WiFi gear. We haven't had any problems though.

JolietJake

We've had to stop using the Takstars. We have issues with vocals causing audio dropouts where loud vocals would cause the background music to be reduced to a level where it cant be heard at all. I assume this is caused by no limiting on the microphones, however the issue does not happen with wired in ears, I guest this is caused by the built in compression. I would really like to disable (or greatly reduce) the level of compression but I'm unfamiliar with the TA31001 compander IC used in the transmitter and receivers. I downloaded the data sheet but it does not give much information of circuit application. I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this device.

Elantric

Are sure about that part number?

Is it perhaps a Toshiba TA31101 ? ?
http://www.alldatasheet.com/view.jsp?Searchword=TA31101

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/99644/TOSHIBA/TA31101.html

See attached datasheet
http://pdf.dzsc.com/TA3/TA31101.pdf

Deep review of the WPM-100 ( Portugal)

gumtown

Music Sample 3 says it all... Ha Ha !!

I find if you up the headset level and reduce the transmitter level, it doesn't compress so much.
But I do agree the compression 'knee' point is in the wrong place,
I do find it handy though in between songs, you can really hear a stage conversion much better.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JolietJake

Yes of course you are correct. Typo on my part.
When I get a bit more time I'll look into it. Although changing things won't be easy, it's some of the smallest SMD components I've seen, especially in the receiver.

Elantric

Quoteit's some of the smallest SMD components I've seen, especially in the receiver.

I used to say I hope to retire after the discreet components get smaller than 0402
EDIT June 2020 - I actually did a board in 2019 with 0201 SMD components

But I need more guitars - so I'll work and buy better glasses ;)

Elantric

http://www.takstar.com/en/product/detail-13-41-274-1
• UHF frequency band (780-789MHz) and PLL frequency synthesized technology for stable working performance
• 6 selectable channels
• Powered by 2pcs AA batteries, low power consumption design for long playtime up to 30 hours
• Multiple sets of receivers can be operated with a single transmitter within the operating range
• Dynamic expansion circuitry for high S/N ratio
• Complex anti-interference circuit for using 4-6sets at the same time without mutual interference
• Receiver LCD displays frequency, channel and battery level
Application   
Recording studio monitoring, on stage monitoring
Specification   
Transmitter:
• Frequency Range: 780-789MHz
• Power supply: DC 12V/ 300mA
• Transmit Power: ≤10dBm
• Operating Current: 80mA ±10Ma
• Operating Range: 50m
Receiver:
• Power Supply: DC 3V (2pcs AA batteries)
• Operating Current: 50mA ±20mA
• S/N Ratio: >50dB
• Sensitivity: S/N 12dB 3uV
• Frequency Response: 30Hz-18 KHz
• Frequency Range: 780-805MHz
• Stereo Separation: >50dB
Product Content   
AA acid battery                        2pcs
3.5mm to 6.3mm plug                  1pc
3.5mm to 6.3mm conversion cable        1pc
3.5mm to RCA connecting cable          1pc
Manual                             1pc
12V/300mA power adaptor              1pc
Package: kraft box

WolfWare

I have "A Way" that addresses the audio-dipping shortfall of what is otherwise, an excellent audio quality, interference free, long range, very cost competitive wireless audio product.

The cause is less-related to the stereo-paired Toshiba TA31101 compression/expansion stage.  The main cause is in the AGC slope-off design of the initial stereo op-amp buffer stages.  The Amplifier Gain Control configuration in this stage is the main issue.  Rather than dancing around the existing design up-to the RF audio injection points, it is much easier to build your own input buffer stages and offer them on-to the RF audio injection points.  All compression/limiting issues are resolved and the audio works flawlessly regardless of audio-bursts.

If anyone would like the fully imaged circuit board modification and additions, or have the mods carried out for a fee please let me know.

WolfWare.

daw @ g2online.co.uk

whippinpost91850

Elantric

QuoteI have "A Way" that addresses the audio-dipping shortfall of what is otherwise, an excellent audio quality, interference free, long range, very cost competitive wireless audio product.

The cause is less-related to the stereo-paired Toshiba TA31101 compression/expansion stage.  The main cause is in the AGC slope-off design of the initial stereo op-amp buffer stages.  The Amplifier Gain Control configuration in this stage is the main issue.  Rather than dancing around the existing design up-to the RF audio injection points, it is much easier to build your own input buffer stages and offer them on-to the RF audio injection points.  All compression/limiting issues are resolved and the audio works flawlessly regardless of audio-bursts.

If anyone would like the fully imaged circuit board modification and additions, or have the mods carried out for a fee please let me know.

WolfWare.

Me too!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Takstar-WPM-200-UHF-Wireless-Headphone-Monitor-System-Stereo-In-Ear-Receiver-HM-/161770582656?hash=item25aa473280:g:xtAAAOSwgQ9VrxIw

admin

Takstar WPM-500

but appears to be mono ( not Stereo)

$65 at Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07283QXYL/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_8_w

http://www.takstar.com/en/news/detail-2-68

Features:
UHF wireless acoustic transmission system, 1pc transmitter + 1pc receiver.
With 6 selectable channels, and effective range is up to 100 meters.
One transmitter can be operated with multiple receivers within the operating range.
Complex interference-free circuit for using more than 4 sets simultaneously without mutual interference.
PLL frequency synthesis technique for stable signal transmission.
Dynamic expanding circuit for high S/N ratio.
Low power consumption design for long time usage.
Both transmitter and receiver use LCD-display to indicate frequency, channel, battery, level status.
Comes with a lavalier microphone, a earphone, a 3.5mm to 3.5mm conversion cable.
Suitable for wireless tour guiding, simultaneous translation, audio-visual education, etc.     

Specifications:
Frequency Control: Phase Locked Loop(PLL)
Frequency Range: 780-789MHz
Effective Range: 100 Meters
Number of Channels:6
Operating Current: 120mA±10mA(Transmitter); 70mA±10mA(Receiver)
Receiver Frequency Response: 30Hz-15kHz
S/N Ratio: >50dB
Receiving Sensitivity:S/N 12dB 3uV
Power Supply: 2 * 1.5V AA Batteries (not included)
Item Size: 6.3 * 11.3 * 2cm / 2.5 * 4.4 * 0.8in (Transmitter); 6.3 * 11.3 * 2cm / 2.5 * 4.4 * 0.8in (Receiver)
Item Weight: 172g / 6.1oz (Transmitter + Receiver, excluding batteries)
Package Size: 32 * 18.8 * 6.5cm / 12.6 * 7.4 * 2.6in
Package Weight: 531g / 18.7oz

Note:
Batteries are not included.

Package List:
1 * Transmitter
1 * Receiver
1 * Lavalier Microphone
1 * Earphone
1 * Conversion Cable(about 1 meter)
1 * User Manual (English)

admin

these seem to be improved ovr the TakStar IEM

Lowest latency WIRELESSS STEREO Headphones at OK price  is these

Phenyx Pro PTM-10 UHF Wireless Stereo in Ear Monitor System with Rackmount Kit (902 - 928 MHz)
$209 direct )
https://phenyxpro.com/collections/in-ear-monitor-system/products/phenyx-pro-ptm-10
Review

The Phenyx Pro UHF is another incredible bang for the buck wireless in-ear monitor system. Operating in the much less congested 900 MHz frequency band, it is very reliable with little to no signal interference. However, the 900 MHz frequency is only available in the United States and Canada. If your outside of those countries or planning on touring outside of those countries, it's best to skip down to the next unit. Both the receiver and transmitter are relatively durable. The receiver takes 2 AA batteries with 8 hours of use.

The sound quality for the Phenyx Pro UHF is decent. Not the best sound quality on this list but not to bad either. While turning up the bass on the mix, there was a bit of noise. It worked best for me to keep the bass at a lower volume. However, many users claim this system hits the jackpot with an additional purchase of higher quality ear-buds.
I found it very interesting that the Phenyx Pro's receiver had an option for a limiter, EQ, or mono/stereo and BALANCE at this low of a price. Typically, In-ear monitors that have these extra features are at least triple the price as this system.

Overall, the Phenyx Pro is an incredible in-ear monitor system for the cheap price. It is very reliable, relatively durable with no longevity complaints thus far, and it has many extra features for the sound quality.

How to set up the Phenyx Pro in-ear monitor system

1. Power the transmitter on
2. Make sure the receiver (bodypack) has 2 AA batteries and power it on
3. Pick a channel on the transmitter (anyone you prefer that is not the same as any other frequency as other wireless units on stage)
4. On the transmitter; press set than scroll over on screen to press exit. (transmitter screen will show a loading icon)
5. Open the battery pack of the receiver (bodypack) and face it towards the front right of the transmitter
6. Press the set button on the transmitter while holding the receiver open towards the IR sync button on the transmitter
7. Once the blinking (loading symbol) of the transmitter stops you are free to use the Phenyx Pro in-ear monitor system
Pros

- Rackmountable
- Reliable with little to no signal interference
- Great customer service
- Transmitter with metal casing and durable antenna
- Receivers compartment is able to fit rechargeable batteries (unlike many receivers)
Cons

- Not able to be used outside of the United States and Canada
- Noisy bass when turned up
- Poor belt clip (best to put it in your pocket)
- Manuel is not very thorough
Features

- Comes with rack-mountable hardware
- Limiter option on the receiver
- Mono or stereo option on the receiver (labeled FO)
- EQ option on the receiver
- Headphone jack in the receiver
Check Amazon Reviews Phenyx Pro UHF

Tech Specs

Frequency Band:
905MHz – 925MHz)
Number of Frequencies:
6 channels, 11 groups (total of 66)
Stereo/Mono:
Either one
Operating Range:
They claim 160 ft, in my experience, it is further