Pitch Fork Vs. HOG2 tested

Started by Rhcole, November 24, 2014, 08:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

Pitch shifters are the natural allies to all things VG. In particular, both the GR-55 and GP-10 really come alive when you put a PS on the output of these wonder boxes. In that light, I thought I would write a quick comparison of two current Electro-Harmonix products that augment VG products substantially.

In brief:
When you think of the Pitch Fork, think of it like a GP-10;
When you think of the HOG2, think of it like a VG-99.

These are not inappropriate comparisons. The Pitch Fork, like the GP-10, has its own place in EHX's line, is lower in cost, and definitely has improvements and updates over the HOG2. Most notably, the pitch tracking is noticeably better, even on the torture chords I like to play through pitch shifters to test them. EHX has clearly invested in improving tracking for a reduction in garbled notes, and it shows. For the first time, 7th and 9th chords track well with only a small amount of gurgling. Nice job.

The Pitch Fork has a very different sound than the HOG2. The PF is rather metallic and bell-like sounding, with more treble than the HOG. And, the PF is designed to provide melodic intervals that you can select momentarily to use the device as a harmonizer if you get your playing right. Finally, the PF is SMALL and pedal board-friendly. I like that.

The HOG2 is EHX's VG-99. It is more complex and has more depth if you are willing to explore it. It doesn't harmonize like the PF, but it does about a dozen things that the PF can't do. It's pitch intervals are the predecessor to EHX's B9 organ pedal, except you can select them yourself at will. The sound is more rounded and organ-like than the PF. The HOG2 doesn't decipher complex intervals as well as the PF, so if complex jazz chords are your thing you will have to adjust the HOG to mask the mis-tracking that occurs. However, the HOG has its own sound and its a good one. Like the VG-99, the HOG2 is a big box, and in fact its floorboard dimensions are virtually the same as the GP-10. Add the expression pedal and programmer and you have a large footprint for the rig unless you use it on a tabletop.

On a final note about the HOG, I was intrigued by how the HOG2's organic faults actually added to my Blofeld synthesizer when I placed the HOG on the output. The HOG enhanced the Blofeld's atmospheric complexity and made it sound better. Just like the VG-99, sometimes imperfections make for a more interesting musical outcome.

On a small pedalboard though, the Pitch Fork rules.