Yonac ToneStack

Started by Elantric, July 03, 2014, 07:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDon

The prevailing wisdom is that out-of-the-box presets suck, and we must create our own patches to be satisfied with our tone. This makes a certain amount of sense. When the developer created the preset, they didn't do so with *my* guitar. I usually won't know what guitar they *did* use. And a standard preset is designed to satisfy a lot of "generic" customers, not me in particular.

Fortunately, it seems like most forum members are comfortable twiddling and customizing. Unfortunately, I'm not so comfortable. I recently migrated from Atomic Amps Amplifire to IOS-based rigs. I managed to kludge my way into one Amplifire preset that worked well as my primary tone. Now, ToneStack's Texas Blues preset *almost but not quite* works for me. I'm not a tone perfectionist, but I think the preset is far enough off my target to merit some tweaking - and I'm curious how much better I can get it.

I need some help. I realize that a lot of the help I'm looking for already exists throughout the forum, but I get lost and hoped to pull the basics together in one place. I also appreciate how personal tone is, so I'm thinking more about very broad guidelines than specifics.

I thought I'd try to set this up as something that other neophytes can use to develop their own patches (assuming they have a similar starting point as me, with Texas Blues).

THE TARGET TONE: A crunchy ballsy blues tone somewhere between SRV and Johnny A
  - Nevermind that I'm strictly a single-coil Tele guy (Twang Kings) whereas Johnny A uses Gibson HBs
  - As with Texas Blues presets on most SW multiEX, my usual starting point is a TS in front of a Fender with some reverb dialed up
  - I use the guitar vol to control breakup, then hit the TS to get to mildly crunchy

THE PREFERRED ENVIRONMENT: Yonac ToneStack with Motherload 3.0

ASSUMPTIONS
- IR cabs can provide better tone than ToneStack cabs
- Rooms! is a better IR loader than Fiddlicator
- BIAS Amps will probably provide better tone than native ToneStack amps
- There's little or no tonal difference between using IAA vs Audiobus, but IAA is simpler to use
- ToneStack effects are good enough to satisfy most IOS guitarists (and that includes me)

QUESTIONS
1. Are my assumptions reasonably valid? Any comments there?
2. I have never put a microphone in front of an amp so IRs are very foreign. Are there a couple excellent basic (Fender-ish) IRs that folks would recommend I focus on? Any other suggestions for how to think about and evaluate IRs?
3. Are there any particular (Fender-ish or maybe early Marshall) BIAS Amps that folks would recommend for this quest? For the same reason as with Yonac, the BIAS amps sometimes aren't completely obvious, so there's good chance I'd overload some good candidates. Again, aside from specific presets, any general guidance about how to select custom amps in BIAS might be interesting.
4. What's the best resource (e.g. user guide or forum post) for figuring out how to load and compare IRs?
    (Back to the Assumptions, this probably depends on whether I use Fiddlicator or Rooms!)
5. What's the best resource for figuring out how to load and compare Amps?
    (Back to the Assumptions, this probably depends on whether I use IAA or Audiobus)

No doubt there are other questions I should be asking. Looking forward any and all guidance - Thanks!

Elantric

http://www.yonac.com/forum/index.php?p=/

And your only hope on accomplishing what you have in mind will require an iPad AIR2 / iPad PRO minimum

My own experience, running multiple IOS Music apps for guitar processing yields instability issues preventing use for live performance

I get more joy with my Boss GT-1 today

BigDon

Ok, so assuming I have sufficient HW, running BIAS with ToneStack doesn't work well.

Just to be 110% clear, does your observation (instability due to multiple concurrently running apps) also apply to using 3rd party IRs within ToneStack?

The original Amplifire is good and small, but I really liked have so many capabilities with the iPad and it be even smaller than the Amplifire (using SonicPort VX FWIW). Maybe I'm going to need to re-think that strategy  ???

Elantric

The dominant population of IOS Users who embrace running into IAA connected multiple signal processing streams on an iPad are not guitarists, but are EDM musician's who typically are accomplishing this using an  IOS midi synth running on the same iPad which BTW requires far less CPU processing compared to performing real-time guitar amp modeling , cab simulation, FX.

So frankly the folks who say they enjoy using thier iPad for all their guitar tones at the Live gig , running multiple IAA connected FX is direct conflict with reality in my own experience.

When I use iPad for guitar processing it's best when I run one IOS app at a time

I can run ToneStack along with Johnny Tremolo app via IAA , but many IOS music /FX apps are memory hogs and crash periodically.

I prefer avoiding using gear that crashes and makes me appear to be a fool on stage.
At my age I have too many other factors that already conspire to accomplish that.

I'll let others post their experiences with detailed descriptions of how they are successfully accomplishing these IAA FX feats. I enjoy learning. Teach me.

http://www.yonac.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/3482/iaa-with-tonestack

BigDon

I've been following your work too long to question your expertise and credibility, I was just hoping we were getting to the point where the SW and HW could get the job done. Thanks for your insights!

whippinpost91850

Quote from:  Elantric on March 26, 2017, 02:30:57 PM

I prefer avoiding using gear that crashes and makes me appear to be a fool on stage.
At my age I have too many other factors that already conspire to accomplish that.

Let I'll let others post their experiences with detailed descriptions of how they are successfully accomplishing these IAA FX feats. I enjoy learning. Teach me.

http://www.yonac.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/3482/iaa-with-tonestack

Yes indeedy

admin