admin

admin

12AU7 gain factor = 19,
12AY7 gain factor = 40
12AT7 gain factor = 60,
5751 gain factor = 70,
12AX7 gain factor = 100

GeePeeAxe

I`ve mentioned that I bought 2 Bugera PS1 attenuators. After 6 months of using them, I am very satisfied. They are most time set to absorb some 90 % of the energy. This way I can turn up the poweramps over 50 % and have nice compression and warmth. My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, my Egnater Rebel 30 and my Engl Rockmaster 20 sound much better now. The Engl has 2 attenuation resistors built in, but it sounds definitely much better set on "full power" and going through the Bugera attenuator.

I can warmly recommend the Bugera PS1 attenuator, now it is cheaper in Germany, only some 70 euros.

admin

^ Oddball DIY Tube amp from 1966, but read the comments section

The power of the internet, the original Builder( who is now age 77) offers explanations for the design choices
He built it based on available parts at local TV Repair shop, and the schematics from the mid 1960's 1st edition of the Jack Darr "Electric Guitar AMP Handbook" [Published by Howard Sams "PhotoFacts' publications] which were  nationally distributed at independent TV Repair / Ham Radio Electronic shops (Pre Radio Shack)  - the 2nd half of the book was full of Tube guitar amp schematics for Gibson, Fender, Valco /  Gretsch / Supro, Silvertone / Dan Electro,

Still a MUST READ Book
https://dokumen.tips/documents/the-electric-guitar-amplifier-handbook-j-darr-sams-1973-ww.html

Quotefrettedfun
2 years ago
I'm the builder, but in your position, I'd refuse to work on it, too!  There were many reasons for the build turning out the way it did.  Too many to list in a youtube comment.  It's basically a Fender front end, and a Gibson power output section.  Many of the choices were due to the availability of components back in the 1960's.  And, no, I don't have a schematic after all these years.

When I built that amp, I was learning as I went!

No, I did not disassemble any amps.  I had a paperback book that had a few schematics in it, and used those to build my own.  Keep in mind, this was before the internet, and schematics of commercial guitar amps were really hard for the hobbyist to lay hands on.  Also, about the only parts stocked by the electronics supply houses were those used by TV repairmen.  (Yeah, they really did repair TV's back then!  LOL)  Are the output tubes still the original 5881's?  There are two separate chassis because I couldn't find one that was the right dimensions.  The tremelo circuit was added after the amp was completed and had been in service for a while.    It looks cobbled on because it was!  It was like trying  to put five gallons of stuff in a two gallon bucket!

I built this back in the 1960's in my basement.  Pleased don't be too harsh, I had little money, not many tools, and needed an amp.  I gigged with it around the Dayton, Ohio area for years.  It worked pretty well, but it sounds like a lot of the components have failed after laying around for fifty years!
[/i]

admin

Best Tremolo on ANY Amp

arkieboy

I have a Laney IRT30 combo on a long term loan from a friend - living in my son's bedroom at the moment.

We both love it to bits.  Really good Marshall-esque high gain, with an inbuilt gain-gooser on the dirty channel.  But (and here's the killer) a really, really good clean sound too.  I could use this amp myself, it certainly covers all the classic rock/prog tones I would want to use, but it also hits all the post-punk/punk metal stuff my son likes. 

One super versatile amp
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

plexified

Forgot the Vox Showroom and a celebratory solo :

http://www.voxshowroom.com/equipment/index.html

admin

admin

Tremolo: Design and Function

admin

admin

admin

admin